Butchered!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jon6113

Babyface
Bottom Line: I have never seen a more butchered attempt to release an album and singles. Very unfortunate...

Probably doesn't deserve it's own thread--would love to hear your comments, which are echoed by many, in the singles thread or in the Magnificent threads in WTAHAN.

Definitely agree, I think everyone does

Plus the fact that they released the video on the same day the song gets dropped from Radio 1 in the UK shows how badly the release is being handled

what! raido1 have dropped Mag' already. it has only just been released. unbelieveable. there seems to be more and more hip hop taking over their playlists

@Bram: Actually I think it completely deserves its own thread. I think the current situation U2 has created for itself is a somewhat major occurence that is interesting to discuss in greater detail.

Like Rattle and Hum and POP before, this is really just part of a natural cycle to take the air out of U2's balloon a little bit. A backlash is inevitable. The public gets tired of U2, a lot of negativity surrounds the band, and their album flops. So they go away for a couple years, come back with a new album, and suddenly everybody realizes they missed U2 and welcome them with open arms. It's happened before, it'll happen again.

That being said, U2 could still have prevented this. NLOTH is a great album, better than it's predacessor. The marketing for this album has been atrocious. I do not think Boots is a good song, but it would've been okay as filler on the album. NOT FOR THE FIRST SINGLE!! And the way they're handling Magnificent... somebody needs fired! Somebody is simply NOT doing their job in the U2 camp.

Bottom Line: I have never seen a more butchered attempt to release an album and singles. Very unfortunate...

Well in the context of U2 albums? Maybe. Ever? No...

It gets a lot of talk in here, but honestly, why does it matter to so many of you? It's still the biggest selling album this year and a stadium tour in a recession is doing pretty damn good.

Have we ever stopped to think that maybe U2 is doing like everyone else this time around?

I don't think U2 is into fighting the charts so much this time around as they were with ATYCLB and Bomb (nor is NLOTH as accessible). They played the 3 biggest music awards and had a 5 day appearance on Letterman.

Elevation had a blockbuster movie appearance to help promote the album. Stuck in a moment had 9/11 healing aid. And those still have nothing on BD. Nothing on Bomb came close to Vertigo's success.

While nothing on this album is a single as big as BD or Vertigo, Boots was simply a bad choice that will IMO affect the album. If Magnificent can't do it, nothing will. Perhaps U2 is too old to matter on the single charts.

who cares? honestly. why does it matter?

Why do we post reviews of the album? Why do we care if the tour sales out? Some people are just interested in this stuff, and this is the part of the forum where this stuff gets discussed I don't see what's wrong with it

Why do we post reviews of the album? Why do we care if the tour sales out? Some people are just interested in this stuff, and this is the part of the forum where this stuff gets discussed I don't see what's wrong with it

basically, if i don't like it, it's not allowed.

I don't think U2 is into fighting the charts so much this time around as they were with ATYCLB and Bomb (nor is NLOTH as accessible). They played the 3 biggest music awards and had a 5 day appearance on Letterman.

I agree....I think they have decided to stop trying to feed the monster. The pop charts are mostly irrelevant anyway. I mean, look who is "successful." U2's music is in a different realm.

Perhaps U2 is too old to matter on the single charts.

I hate to admit it, but I DO believe this is a major part of the problem...and there's nothing the band can do about it. They are all closing in fast on 50. What other band of the same age is still played on Top 40 radio?? I can't think of any. Sad but true. I know the band wants to attract a younger crowd, but the younger crowd just ain't wantin' it. There are too many other younger artists out there to choose from (if you can call some of them "artists"). Now if they were a country band, I'm sure they would still get a lot of airplay...I think country fans tend to be a bit more forgiving about age.

Or they could try pulling a Donny Osmond, when his single "Soldier of Love" was delivered to stations without an artist name on it, and it wasn't til later that we found out it was Donny Osmond...but in the meantime the song went to #2.

Its all about image especially on the Pop charts.

U2 just needs to make music for musics sake and the hardcore fans will always be there to support them.

So, U2 continue to cock up the release of Magnificent. A Remix EP is out today on iTunes and Amazon MP3 in the US, but U2.com has not posted any reference to it or sent out any emails.

I got three emails from them when the UK single came out, and there were two separate news stories about the remixes on U2.com. Of course, I couldn't download any of them in the US.

Does U2.com realize that the band sell records outside of the UK?

Meanwhile, the album version of Magnificent is the 30th most popular U2 song on iTunes and the Dave Aude Remix is the 250th most popular U2 song, so I don't see this release pushing the song back up onto the Billboard Hot 100.

I just hope they don't get so discouraged by the download numbers that they cancel the US CD single as well.

Just seems like an excuse for the fact that the singles and the album is bellow par to me...

Even though Boots has more dynamics than Vertigo, but that did have a better marketing strategy with the Ipod commercial. :doh:Oops now I'm sorry. That was when they sold out wasn't it? Even though they didn't get a fee for doing the commercial they still sold out. And the Grammies, they only won because they are a big name, it has nothing to do with the possibility that the panel actually thought Bomb was a great album

I know the reason they are slacking on the marketing this time. U2 desperately wants me to attend one of their live gigs, but they know I won't go to any large venue (nothing above 2000 capacity). So obviously they are trying to lose a bunch of fans so within the next few years they will only be playing small venues. I mean, it's totally obvious. :D

And the Grammies, they only won because they are a big name, it has nothing to do with the possibility that the panel actually thought Bomb was a great album

I still maintain that Bomb only won because the panel felt guilty that ATYCLB didn't win. Sort of like how The Academy awarded Morgan Freeman an Oscar for Million Dollar Baby when he actually should have won for Shawshank Redemption.

I still maintain that Bomb only won because the panel felt guilty that ATYCLB didn't win. Sort of like how The Academy awarded Morgan Freeman an Oscar for Million Dollar Baby when he actually should have won for Shawshank Redemption.

agreed.

Just because you didn't like Bomb that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you.

You do realise the same thing applies to you, don't you?

Just because you think something doesn't make true. You are just blowing as much hot air as anyone else (well, except for me...everything I write is the absolute truth).

No. Some awards do matteR and the Grammies do matter. Why do people make up silly excuses. Just because you didn't like Bomb that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. ATYCLB wasn't as good as Bomb

ur so good at opinions!!!!1111

No. Some awards do matteR and the Grammies do matter. Why do people make up silly excuses. Just because you didn't like Bomb that doesn't mean everyone has to agree with you. ATYCLB wasn't as good as Bomb

Where exactly did I say that everyone has to agree with me, or, for that matter, that I didn't like Bomb?

I do like how you followed up by stating your opinion as fact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom