Bushfire news - evacuated, but now home safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopTart Pamela

Acrobat
Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, Australia
Well things worsened very quickly after I posted this morning. By lunchtime we had to evacuate. The smoke and the sound of the fire were just incredible - a huge wall of black, billowing smoke surging out of control. We had very little time to pack anything - we just had to go. My husband and oldest son stayed to fight the fire which came within 150 metres of the house! We have been very lucky, but not so for everyone - at least 18 homes were lost in the Lower Blue Mountains.

We are now home again, relieved but exhausted.

Amanda and Angela - I hope everything is OK. things do not look good in southern Sydney at the moment.
Follower - I was sad to read about the terrible storms - hope things improve.

All this has strengthened my conviction that U2 fans are kind, generous warm hearted people.

Pamela

God, Pamela, how lucky you were. Im sorry you had to go through that. I know all about how scary it is babe.

Yeah, i just saw reports that they are worried about a southerly change about to happen in the National park here which will cause the fire to spread through more coastal suburbs. Who knows what may happen over night.

Fingers crossed and my thoughts are with you and all your neighbours.

Good luck guys...

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

I'm watching the news right now and the fire looks really terrible. I'm scared even I'm just sitting in front the TV. I can't imagine how is the situation over there...

Let's hope there'll be a rain soon. Hope everything will be okay and less people will be hurt...
frown.gif

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 12-26-2001).]

Pamela, that must of been an awful experience
for you and your family to go through. I am so happy that you and your love ones are home safe and sound.
Please take care.

tiny dancer

pamela , glad you are ok. i'm in the macarthur area and we are safe, but the smell of smoke and seeing the sky full of thick smoke is scary enough without being near it!
i have a friend in the silverdale area that i cant get hold of and i hope they are ok... there were about 30 homes lost in that small town.
amanda, hope things are ok tonight for you in the national park.

------------------
'well...2 years and finally we make it down the end of the yellow brick road to sydney australia...' Bono Zoo TV

Pamela, I'm so glad you're ok. I was watching the fire around the Glenbrook area just yesterday and thought of you. We can see straight up to Blaxland from our house. Fortunately (or unfortunately) Glenmore Park has only lost one property. We are quite safe, the biggest concern is the fires down The Northern Rd. Its so sad seeing everyone sleeping in their cars. Someone, sorry I cant remember who it was, is concerned about Silverdale. From what the news is saying, they have evacuated all those that was deemed safe enough to do so, and those that remain are being kept in. So if you are still waiting to hear, chances are they either safely waiting it out somewhere, or have the firies right outside keeping them safe. Hope you hear soon. Manda, hope you're doing ok. I wasn't sure if Heathcote is near you, but please be careful anyway.

Its been one hell of an xmas. We had a death in the family on Chrissie morning and these awful fires causing all this damage and covering everything in ash.

Thanks all for your thoughts, and hope everyone had a great boxing day and the folks of Sydney can breath easier soon.

*sorry larrys aussie girl...I have the attention span of a tree frog right now, hope you hear from them. Its a worrying time indeed.

[This message has been edited by Angela Harlem (edited 12-26-2001).]

Pamela, thanks for your kind words on our own national disaster here. It is still pouring rain there in Rio unfortunetaly, things are getting worse according to the local news, many people dead, missing and homeless. What a Christmas...

I saw the news on TV this morning, about the fires in Australia, and I felt like christiana said, scared even though it was only an image on TV.

I'm glad to know you, your family and home are safe.

Back
Top Bottom