Breathe - REM influenced

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think if REM is too "alternative" for you, you must have some pretty damned mainstream tastes. :wink:

this is from wikipedia.

Some of the greatest bands of alternative rock are Coldplay, Radiohead, Nirvana, R.E.M, The Cure, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

(peppers are the only band i can listen too from that list)

Coldplay = alternative?

Wow!!!

I always thought labels were insignificant when it came to music, for most of the music I like can span into several labels...

But alternative and indie have to be two of the worst labels ever...

909 St. John divine?

I agree, I can hear it in the way he sings "runnin' down the road like loose electricity".

Yes, the more bizzare lines in that verse of the song remind me of something written from the addicted, late 60s Lennon.

I remember reading that interpretation in the lyrics forum. I guess some people see it that way.

These influenced are probably why Breathe just hasn't got it. The whole new R.E.M. Album was a bit mehhh for me. All those rock songs that didn't really go anywhere. Breathe sounds like just one of those.

These influenced are probably why Breathe just hasn't got it. The whole new R.E.M. Album was a bit mehhh for me. All those rock songs that didn't really go anywhere. Breathe sounds like just one of those.

Except that most people are saying it reminds them of older REM before Berry left...

I like Breathe, I don't love it, but I definately wouldn't say it doesn't go anywhere...

I LOVE Breathe. I listened to it yesterday on headphones again in it's quite Beatle-ish in the end. Don't get the REM influences that much, but since I love REM and have all of their albums, I'm fine with that. Bono said in the Hotpress interview that Michael Stipe encouraged them with Breathe. Can't wait to hear and see it live again.

I do not see the REM similarities...yet. it's not automatic to me, baby, but I will say that this thread has inspired me to put the REM back on my IPOD for a listen. It shoudl make my drive to Alabama tonight a little less grueling after a long day. Thanks Finance Guy!

I, too, heard Dylan when I first heard the song. Something kind of rambling, in the vein of Subterranean Homesick Blues. Though I can hear the R.E.M. similarity now that you mention it...

nah.
U2 is way better than R.E.M.

Yes, agree here. I dont see REM in Breathe at all.

And while we are on it, end of the world can get compared to Boots, but that comparison breaks down like this:

Simple songs w/rapid fire verses and not going on much musically:
-Subterranean Homesick blues(Dylan)
-Pump it up(Costello) though I will give it credit for A plus guitar work.
-Wild, wild west(escape club)

In no way shape or form do any of the songs mentioned above, when viewed in their entirety, musically and lyrically, come out as even similiar to GOYB. Not saying Boots is the best thing known to mankind, just that its nothing like the songs it gets accused of ripping.

Back
Top Bottom