BREATHE Appreciation - Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
same.

except for me it's with the whole album.

but yeah Breathe has grown on me a lot, it was my favourite beach clip but once I heard the album it wasn't one of my favourites, but now it is

the pre-chorus into the chorus is one of the most brilliant U2 moments ever

yes yes and yeeeeessssssss. (especially the pre-chorus :drool: )

I was walking my dog today and listening to Breathe. It took everything I had to stop myself from dancing down the road. :reject:

:wink:

The two rockers in the second half - SUC and this - are growing on me. U2 gets some attitude.

Bono does Bob Dylan, also something reminds me of Lennon in one of his druggy Beatle vocals.

Breeeeeeeaaaaaaaaathe I Can Breathe.Fantastic song.Great Rocker.Makes me want to break things.LOL.Just kidding.Awesome song.Sounds like a good one for towards the end of the concert.:up:

Breathe is definitely my favorite song on the album.

It first sounds like he's pulling some Nick Cave on us and then the pre-chorus kicks in which is brilliant, and then we get the amazing chorus.

I think Eno was right when he said it's the most "U2 song they've ever made".

Bono does some nice vocal acrobatics near the end of the song that I like.

The swirling guitars, the darkness and grittyness of how it sounds and placement on the record reminds me of Acrobat from Achtung Baby.

You know why I know this is a fantastic song? Every time I listen to it, it gets better and better. My god - the last half of the song is totally brilliant. The last stanza of lyrics are fantastic. Love the time signature, love the strings, love it love it love it!! And the first time I heard it, I was just kind of ok with it. Weird. This is my third day listening to the album, and I am way more excited about it than the first day I heard it!!

Well its stormed into my top 10 songs of all time under a barrage of tom's, it still might even continue to rise.

How any reviewer can say that this is U2 by numbers is beyond me. Brilliiant f**king song. :drool::drool::drool:

Mind you, I believe the same guy claimed that Edges's guitar solo on Unknown Caller was his most boring. :huh:

How any reviewer can say that this is U2 by numbers is beyond me. Brilliiant f**king song. :drool::drool::drool:

Mind you, I believe the same guy claimed that Edges's guitar solo on Unknown Caller was his most boring. :huh:

I think some people are into denial. You have to wait until they reach the stage of acceptance. :D

This has climbed to my favorite new song. Very reminiscent of other penultimate album tracks Please and Acrobat.

This song is so good that I don't even mind that Bono sings about not wanting to buy other peoples exotic birds.

Seriously, this song is Ahh-Macing!

My fav song on the album. This song has all the best attributes (too many to name) of U2 in one song. The only thing that could've made it even better was if they had included that little guitar (keyboard?) bridge from the beach version right before Edge's long solo.

it will be a shame, if this fantastic song is not single! With mos and magnificent this is the glorius moment of u2 album.I can imagine breath as first encore on forthcoming tour!:applaud:

There is not a wasted moment on this record. It took a couple listens to really get into "Breathe," but now it's definitely one of my favorites :drool:

im sooooo glad they cut bono's wailing over the guitar solo from the beach clip! :yippie:

btw, the fast part of the solo is exactly the same as the pride "solo" , dunno if anyone else noticed that.

16th of June, nine 0 five, door bell rings
Man at the door says if I want to stay alive a bit longer
There’s a few things I need you to know. Three

Coming from a long line of travelling sales people on my mother’s side
I wasn’t gonna buy just anyone’s cockatoo
So why would I invite a complete stranger into my home
Would you?

These days are better than that
These days are better than that

Every day I die again, and again I’m reborn
Every day I have to find the courage
To walk out into the street
With arms out
Got a love you can’t defeat
Neither down or out
There’s nothing you have that I need
I can breathe
Breathe now

16th of June, Chinese stocks are going up
And I’m coming down with some new Asian virus
Ju Ju man, Ju Ju man
Doc says you’re fine, or dying
Please
Nine 0 nine, St John Divine, on the line, my pulse is fine
But I’m running down the road like loose electricity
While the band in my head plays a striptease

The roar that lies on the other side of silence
The forest fire that is fear so deny it

Walk out into the street
Sing your heart out
The people we meet
Will not be drowned out
There’s nothing you have that I need
I can breathe
Breathe now
Yeah, yeah

We are people borne of sound
The songs are in our eyes
Gonna wear them like a crown

Walk out, into the sunburst street
Sing your heart out, sing my heart out
I’ve found grace inside a sound
I found grace, it’s all that I found
And I can breathe
Breathe now

Wow, this song blows me away. I love the complexity of the lyrics...
I would love to know what Bono is talking about with the dates in the first verse 6/16 anybody know?
The only thing I can come up with is ( don't laugh I just googled it) 616 supposedly also a new number that marks the "beast" in the bible. ??? Google it.

The number 3? As in 3 things you need to know.. is he talking about the Holy Trinity? Father Son and Holy Ghost?

Also, 909 St. John the Divine, is he talking about the bible verse John 9:9?

Here's the verse and if you read the commentary below the verse I found online when I googled the verse, it kinda makes sense..the bit about grace. How cool is that? So the "beast" is the cunning salesman/stranger at the door....and he is telling him that there isn't anything he needs from him..
everyday is reborn, he finds grace.

JOHN 9:9 Some said, This is Him, others said, He is like him: but he said, I am He.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary:

9:8-12 Those whose eyes are opened, and whose hearts are cleansed by grace, being known to be the same person, but widely different in character, live as monuments to the Redeemer's glory, and recommend his grace to all who desire the same precious salvation. It is good to observe the way and method of God's works, and they will appear the more wonderful. Apply this spiritually. In the work of grace wrought upon the soul we see the change, but we see not the hand that makes it: the way of the Spirit is like that of the wind, which thou hearest the sound of, but canst not tell whence it comes, nor whither it goes.

Back
Top Bottom