books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I've read a total of three or four non-textbook books this year.

I miss reading for pleasure, but by the time a semester ends if I have a week or so off a book is the last thing I want to look at.

That's how it is for me. I read a ridiculous amount of crap during the year and I have no patience for books on my break, instead watching a ton of movies. With the exception of Lolita and my monthly subscription to Vanity Fair, I haven't read anything non-legal in print since the summer. Grim!

anitram said:

That's how it is for me. I read a ridiculous amount of crap during the year and I have no patience for books on my break, instead watching a ton of movies. With the exception of Lolita and my monthly subscription to Vanity Fair, I haven't read anything non-legal in print since the summer. Grim!

I guess everyone's different. When I was doing undergrad, I also worked 30 or so hours a week, sometimes more, but I always made time to read. It didn't really matter to me how many textbooks I had, I love reading on my own too much to neglect it.

No spoken words said:

I guess everyone's different. When I was doing undergrad, I also worked 30 or so hours a week, sometimes more, but I always made time to read. It didn't really matter to me how many textbooks I had, I love reading on my own too much to neglect it.

I was the same as the others. I barely read for pleasure for four years. Especially in the upper year honours courses, there was a ridiculous amount of journal reading I had to do, along with the texts. I couldn't bring myself to read for fun. To relax, I'd veg in front of the tv, slack-jawed. But happily, I've since resumed my pre-university reading habits. :)

VintagePunk said:

I was the same as the others. I barely read for pleasure for four years. Especially in the upper year honours courses, there was a ridiculous amount of journal reading I had to do, along with the texts. I couldn't bring myself to read for fun. To relax, I'd veg in front of the tv, slack-jawed. But happily, I've since resumed my pre-university reading habits. :)

Don't get me wrong, I found time to watch movies or a little TV, too, but, I just never could stop reading like that. I used to stay up insanely late, and that's likely how I found time to read. I guess you just make time for what's important to you?

No spoken words said:

I work as a TA, as an RA and am collaborating on another project with the mental health centre in addition to law school. Between law school and my RA position, I probably read something like 4000-5000 pages per term (of 3 months). I need to just lie down and do something brainless and TV does that a hell of a lot better than a book.

I love reading, I've read probably more books than a good majority of people out there. You worked 30 hrs a week but I bet you weren't sitting there reading for those 30 hrs. That's essentially all I do at work. Read cases and articles and legislation and ORB reports. So if I also went home to read a book I'd basically do nothing but read like 14 hrs a day lol. I love books, but not that much.

VintagePunk said:

I was the same as the others. I barely read for pleasure for four years. Especially in the upper year honours courses, there was a ridiculous amount of journal reading I had to do, along with the texts. I couldn't bring myself to read for fun.

Yeah, same here. The first two years I didn't read at all, but by my junior year I had gotten pretty good at it. By senior year I was reading the Hardy Boys and shit.

anitram said:

I work as a TA, as an RA and am collaborating on another project with the mental health centre in addition to law school. Between law school and my RA position, I probably read something like 4000-5000 pages per term (of 3 months). I need to just lie down and do something brainless and TV does that a hell of a lot better than a book.

I love reading, I've read probably more books than a good majority of people out there. You worked 30 hrs a week but I bet you weren't sitting there reading for those 30 hrs. That's essentially all I do at work. Read cases and articles and legislation and ORB reports. So if I also went home to read a book I'd basically do nothing but read like 14 hrs a day lol. I love books, but not that much.

Got it.

After labs and working and school related reading my mind is on overdrive. I really look forward to a book before sleep. It's my reward to myself every day.

I've read "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts while in India; I actually had a copy of the book at home but never got around to it, mostly because its 900+ page size kinda intimidated me. I shouldn't have worried though since the book was very easy to read; it's a fine adventure tale and the fact that I was in the country that most of the story is set in added nice extra dimension. Some of the book is a bit overwritten and at times the author relies on the kind of tryhard-poetic prose that is borderline cringeworthy, but overall I really enjoyed the book. Despite the dodgy binding job which left the book with a section of about 30 pages inserted twice, which meant that I missed out on the crucial plot information that was revealed somewhere in the 30 pages of story missing near the end.

No spoken words said:

I bought a book today, my friend. Like an actual, fictional bounding of 250+ pages which I shall endeavour to read this week.

Thank you for the inspiration!

anitram said:

I bought a book today, my friend. Like an actual, fictional bounding of 250+ pages which I shall endeavour to read this week.

Thank you for the inspiration!

I feel like I browbeat you into it if anything. I'm ashamed.

:)

What book???

No spoken words said:

I feel like I browbeat you into it if anything. I'm ashamed.

:)

What book???

OK, but no judgment just because I bought a chick book. Yes? I will go back to the Theroux book I started this summer immediately after to redeem myself.

Eat, Pray, Love.

I never judge what people read, for 2 reasons:

1) At least that means they are reading something.

2) It's not like I sit around reading Proust or Joyce all day long.

An ex-girlfriend of mine, who is still a friend, loves and writes books in that vein, actually, and she's a Georgetown educated woman, hyper-bright......but she loves the escapism now and then.

Once I read a Sidney Sheldon and it was highly entertaining. Then I picked up a second one and started feeling like he's some dirty old man.

And I actually think that lighter fare would be really fun to write. There's something to be said when you let go of pretensions and don't obsess over literary style.

anitram said:
Once I read a Sidney Sheldon and it was highly entertaining. Then I picked up a second one and started feeling like he's some dirty old man.

And I actually think that lighter fare would be really fun to write. There's something to be said when you let go of pretensions and don't obsess over literary style.

I am forced to agree, if only because that justifies my insistence on writing since I was a kid. :)

I'm about halfway through "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. I picked it up because I'd always wanted to read it, and we're reading his first novel "Less Than Zero" in a class I'm taking next semester. It's great so far, though I do get annoyed with the constant rambling about designer clothing and expensive food, but I realize that it's an important part of the character and satirization of our culture, so I deal with it.

anitram said:
Eat, Pray, Love.

That's one of my favorite books! I found it funny, moving and inspirational.

Lest you think she meant "chick lit" when she said "chick book," it's a memoir about the author's lilfe after she divorced and sunk into depression, and how she spent time in Italy, India and ... uh. Someplace else I'm completely forgetting.

I read a lot of fluff, partly because that's the kind of book I think I'd be good at writing. (We'll see. :wink: )

corianderstem said:

That's one of my favorite books! I found it funny, moving and inspirational.

Lest you think she meant "chick lit" when she said "chick book," it's a memoir about the author's lilfe after she divorced and sunk into depression, and how she spent time in Italy, India and ... uh. Someplace else I'm completely forgetting.

I read a lot of fluff, partly because that's the kind of book I think I'd be good at writing. (We'll see. :wink: )

Indonesia. I'm familiar with the book and the genre.

I am currently reading "Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression."

corianderstem said:
I thought you just read nonfiction. How was I to know you had knowledge of chickish books? :wink:

I read fiction almost exclusively, at least when it comes to books. For whatever interests me in the world of non-fiction, I'll usually explore that via magazines or the Web....but the occasional Biography is interesting.

Funny - I guess every time I happened to ask what you were reading, it was nonfiction! Heh.

I don't read a lot of nonfiction, other than memoirs. One of the best memoirs I read last year was The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls.

I could be misremembering. I couldn't even remember Elizabeth Gilbert went to Indonesia, and it's one of my favorite books!

I have random holes in my memory. :(

No spoken words said:
Right now, am reading A Small Town in Germany, which is a very early work from LeCarre.

I recently got into LeCarre, and think he's amazing. I've found most of his early works at used bookstores and I'm slowly working my way through them. I started with the first Smiley book A Call For the Dead, then A Murder of Quality, and then Tinker, Tailor..., which was just epic espionage. I'm excited for the next two in the trilogy.

This also led me to an older writer of the genre, Eric Ambler, who had a couple books made into films, most notably Journey Into Fear with Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten, and one with Peter Lorre called A Cask For Dimitrios. Guy is really, really good.

And I just read my first Dashiell Hammett novel, The Dain Curse. I still think Raymond Chandler is the best detective writer, but I can see why he admired Hammett above everyone else.

lazarus said:

I recently got into LeCarre, and think he's amazing. I've found most of his early works at used bookstores and I'm slowly working my way through them. I started with the first Smiley book A Call For the Dead, then A Murder of Quality, and then Tinker, Tailor..., which was just epic espionage. I'm excited for the next two in the trilogy.

This also led me to an older writer of the genre, Eric Ambler, who had a couple books made into films, most notably Journey Into Fear with Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten, and one with Peter Lorre called A Cask For Dimitrios. Guy is really, really good.

And I just read my first Dashiell Hammett novel, The Dain Curse. I still think Raymond Chandler is the best detective writer, but I can see why he admired Hammett above everyone else.

I started in the middle with LeCarre...then caught up and read his new stuff as it's released. He's still firing on all cylinders; even though his focus has changed...not sure if you've read his last 4-5 books, but this is a pissed off man. Tailor of Panama and The Constant Gardner were turned into pretty good films, speaking of recent vintage LeCarre.

As you can see, I'm now reading the early stuff. I read A Murder of Quality not too long ago, which I enjoyed.

Laz, I also own some BBC productions of LeCarre stuff:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, Smiley's People and A Perfect Spy.....the first and last are great mini-series...the middle one, not as good.

I'll have to check Ambler out. I love the genre. I've read my share of Ludlum and Deighton and Follett and such, but LeCarre is the best.

Right now I'm reading 'Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs' by Chuck Klosterman and have:

'Gates of Eden' by Ethan Coen
'The Time Machine' by H.G. Wells
and '1984' by George Orwell

on the backburner.

And I have to read 'Girl with the Pearl Earring' for school. Blech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom