Bono Arrives In Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thankyou

Refugee
BONO ARRIVES IN AFRICA

Rock activist BONO began a ten-day tour of Africa today (16MAY06), where he plans to examine the achievements of his Make Poverty History campaign.

The U2 frontman intends to highlight the progress the continent is making in the treatment of HIV and AIDS as well as unveiling new plans to unite developing nation Lesotho's textile industry with US clothing giant Gap, to allow citizens to work their way out of poverty. The Apparel Lesotho Alliance to Fight AIDS (ALAFA) project will give textile workers free and unlimited access to drug therapy and HIV/AIDS treatment.

Arriving in Lesotho capital Maseru, Bono said, "In a small African country the three issues - debt, aid and trade - come together in an unholy trinity. "It's an important moment because what you see here and the reason why we have people with us, we're attempting to gang up on the continent's problems from many angles. It's a swarm of bees."

JAMIE DRUMMOND, executive director of Bono's advocacy group Debt Aids Trade Africa (DATA), says, "We're going to look at foreign assistance working on the ground in Africa and see what is working and what is not. "Effective aid backing good African leadership can get results, so let's do more of it. Why would you not do more of it? "The timing of this is extremely important, not just because you can see all the results on the ground, but because at this very moment top policymakers in all of the G8 countries are looking at whether they can afford to keep their promises - whether in Germany, Canada, Italy, or France, and above all in the US Congress." Gap has also pledged 50 per cent of profits from the sale of products launched in conjunction with Bono's RED initiative, to Africa's AIDS fund.

may 16, 2006

sorry, no pics yet! :(

Galeongirl said:
thanks for the article!
does anybody know wich date he'll be in wich country?

Still checking. Haven't found anything yet. I can think of one person who is probably dying to know.
who could that be? :hmm:

from reuters:

In tiny kingdom, Bono presses new Africa agenda

With his wrap-around glasses, jeans and T-shirt, Bono has billed this the tour as "Measuring Success and Promises Kept" to highlight the progress in the treatment of HIV/AIDS in Africa, the search for higher economic growth and rich nations' promises to cancel the debts of some nations and more than double aid to the continent by 2010.

The 10-day trip also marks four years since he traveled to Africa with then-U.S. Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill to urge wealthy nations to do more for the world's poorest continent.

On this tour Bono also hopes to show that even more needs to be done for countries like Lesotho, where a once-vibrant textile sector is collapsing under pressure from low-cost Asian producers and uncertainty over its duty-free access to the U.S. market under Washington's African Growth and Opportunity Act.

Lesotho, a mountainous country of just two million people completely surrounded by South Africa, has a history of severe food shortages caused by drought and struggles with one of the world's highest rates of HIV/AIDS with nearly a third of its adult population infected.

Its textile sector, once a rare bright spot for the economy, has been hit hard after the end of a global textile quota left them unable to compete with Chinese producers, costing thousands of jobs in a country that can ill afford to loose them.

for entire article go to:
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-05-16T141724Z_01_L1660522_RTRUKOC_0_US-AFRICA-BONO-LESOTHO.xml

4d8b61eb.jpg

;)

The caption for the above photo is:

Irish rock star Bono speaks to HIV positive workers at a clothing factory in Lesotho's capital Maseru May 16, 2006. Bono began a new African tour on Tuesday in Lesotho where he will unveil a new initiative to fight AIDS in its ailing textile industry.

Here's another one:

BonoLesotho5-16-06.jpg

Isn't one of Edun's factories in Lesotho? Or is that another country?

Pop Artist said:
The caption for the above photo is:

Irish rock star Bono speaks to HIV positive workers at a clothing factory in Lesotho's capital Maseru May 16, 2006. Bono began a new African tour on Tuesday in Lesotho where he will unveil a new initiative to fight AIDS in its ailing textile industry.

Here's another one:

BonoLesotho5-16-06.jpg

Isn't one of Edun's factories in Lesotho? Or is that another country?

Mmmm :drool::drool:

Thanks for the pics!!

I'm just curious about something ya'll can do. Can we leave the drooling and OMFG he's SO HaWT comments of Bono in the other threads instead of the serious threads???? I mean come on! There are plenty of pics in the other threads to drool over. He's in Africa. We don't need to drool over this.

Thanks.

/rant

U2Girl1978 said:
I'm just curious about something ya'll can do. Can we leave the drooling and OMFG he's SO HaWT comments of Bono in the other threads instead of the serious threads???? I mean come on! There are plenty of pics in the other threads to drool over. He's in Africa. We don't need to drool over this.

Thanks.

/rant

:applaud:

He's in Africa doing serious work... let's show some respect here, and restrict our comments in this thread to his mission... not his hair, or glasses, or scruff, or clothes!

Thanks, U2Girl!! :hug:

GracelandHarley said:

:applaud:

He's in Africa doing serious work... let's show some respect here, and restrict our comments in this thread to his mission... not his hair, or glasses, or scruff, or clothes!

Thanks, U2Girl!! :hug:

well said, both of you!

"People are always forcing you to make decisions between flesh and spirit," he said. "Whereas I want to dance myself in the direction of God. I go out drinking with God. I am flirtatious in the company of God. I am not a person who has to put God out of his mind to go out on the town. It's a key point. The divided soul of Marvin Gaye, Elvis -- these conflicts tore them apart. And they don't tear me apart. I reckon God loves all of me."

:wink:

Thanks a lot for the articles and pics. :bow: It is so important to know about these issues and my appreciation for the work Bono is doing couldn't be any bigger. He's a great man.

Last edited:
thanks for the pics, but has anyone found a schedule of his trip yet?? I'm searching my arse off but I can[t find anything!

:yes: one of those men who actually goes out and does something. that's what i like best about him - he doesn't believe in wishful thinking. it's all very easy for someone to sit back in the luxury of their home and lament that yes, life is hard for the less fortunate. but he actually WANTS to make a difference, he physically, financially and mentally puts in the effort to help the less fortunate. :heart:

btw, its really hot here right now in south-east africa. i hope he doesn't get sunburnt! :giggle:

^^^ Amen Babydoll :heart:

People can find the new pics droolworthy without taking away from the seriousness of the work that he's doing. I don't think any of the comments thus far have been over the top or offensive either.

On the BBC news website there`s a video clip of Bono and Ali visiting a Edun factory in Lesoto - so the answer is yes they do make Edun clothes there. Bono is even wearing a Edun T Shirt (bet that was Ali`s doing!).

Nice to know they are in Africa together and I hope some photos come out soon.

Sorry I`m not computer clever enough to post the web link to the video :(

Pamelakellett said:
On the BBC news website there`s a video clip of Bono and Ali visiting a Edun factory in Lesoto - so the answer is yes they do make Edun clothes there. Bono is even wearing a Edun T Shirt (bet that was Ali`s doing!).

Nice to know they are in Africa together and I hope some photos come out soon.

Sorry I`m not computer clever enough to post the web link to the video :(

right click on the address (link at top of page) click on copy. then left click mouse onto reply space. then right click again and click on paste. the link should appear copied on your reply.
hope i didn't confuse you.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom