Bono and Edge play suprise gig in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow bono's vocals on stay wow. He should rerecord the song just like this. There is no top to his voice in this preformace. That last staaaaaaay was just pure force yet his voice never struggles at all.

i wasn't able to drag gorman's files into IE at all.. got a blank page with an error.. For anyone who runs into this problem if you have firefox it totally works, just an fyi.

of course I have to wait 74 min to download desire and WOS.. :mad:

Well here it is folks! The FULL setlist, in order-

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

(with Jo Whiley intro)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spl8oS1weAI

(alternate angle)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8MbrbIUkDSQ

2. Desire (w/ "Need You Tonight" and "Never Tear Us Apart" snippets - dedicated to M. Hutchence, departed 10 years ago)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecUeE1mhSao

3. Angel of Harlem (preceded by "Like a Rolling Stone" snippet)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktjIosbGaM

4. Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-w7B4tNB4

Last edited:
nice one zooeuss! it's amazing, we have compiled video of the entire show within days after the performance, when at first we were skeptical as to video/audio even existing!

Thanks to all who took the time to post downloads, links and suggestions to help everyone, myself included, see these incredible performances!

Rob33 said:
nice one zooeuss! it's amazing, we have compiled video of the entire show within days after the performance, when at first we were skeptical as to video/audio even existing!

Thanks to all who took the time to post downloads, links and suggestions to help everyone, myself included, see these incredible performances!

hear hear! thanks Rob. it's nice to see people working together around here. :wink:

also great to see such incredible performances, though it has to be said, Bono's mastery of the 'Angel of Harlem' lyrics is still not where it could be.. haha, what's that line?

"I taunt because I love" ? :wink:

ahahaha, yes indeedy :)

i'm waiting to hear Peterrr's reaction! Peterr where are you!!

I thought that vocally Bono was excellent in AOH and sang it perfectly for an acoustic performance like that (except some lyric mess ups)...

Wow, guys, thank you so much for all the uploads, file conversions, etc., you are all great!

I finally was able to watch all the flash files with IE at my work pc, but strangely, Stay does not work for me on my home computer.

I really enjoyed ALL of the performances, though AOH had a false start by Bono and some messed up lyrics, but still a great performance, and his vocals are amazing. I love to see the interaction between Bono and Edge.

Last edited:
maybe the way bono sings the long wave in that version is a sign of the vocal style we will see in the next album

Rob33 said:

Axver, I must say, you absolutely crack me with your hyperboles...It is seriously mind boggling to me how Stay (Faraway, So Close!), one of U2's best songs IMO, could "bore" you "to tears"....i mean, sometimes I come across really horrible stuff on youtube and that "bores me to tears"...but U2, Stay (Faraway, So Close!)???? absolutely baffling...oh well

Surprised ? He never liked that tour and acoustic U2. As for their "worst decision live" - easily that Karaoke thing on Popmart. They could have easily played a U2 song, or a cover, anything but that. Luckily it got cut down as the tour went on but still.

Love the sound in the mp3s.
"Don't tell Larry and Adam we played it -- Adam's here." :lol:

Last edited:
Many, many thanks to all of you uploaders and file-converters. You guys are the soul of interference.
Bono's voice is indeed mindblowing... for any of you who haven't checked out the fifth leg Vertigo recordings, he was at and/or near this level for many of those shows, so have a listen. AOH Saitama 12/04/06 may be the best version of that song I've ever heard.
Anyone remember that popmart-era Italian TV performance, when Bono could barely talk, let alone sing? How times have changed....

last unicorn said:
Wow, guys, thank you so much for all the uploads, file conversions, etc., you are all great!

I finally was able to watch all the flash files with IE at my work pc, but strangely, Stay does not work for me on my home computer.

I really enjoyed ALL of the performances, though AOH had a false start by Bono and some messed up lyrics, but still a great performance, and his vocals are amazing. I love to see the interaction between Bono and Edge.

yeah there were some imperfections like that and errors but all that would be easily straightened out with some rehearsing, and as we all know, there was little of that for this gig...but the more important thing here is the way Bono is singing...this is so exciting!!! All 4 performances were absolutely superb vocally (both of them)...so I think we are in for something special as far as album/tour is concerned :wink:

Peterrrr! Where are you?? Reactions, thoughts?!?!

Last edited:
U2girl said:
As for their "worst decision live" - easily that Karaoke thing on Popmart. They could have easily played a U2 song, or a cover, anything but that. Luckily it got cut down as the tour went on but still.

Yeah, that wasn't the most spectacular idea either. At least it was intentionally funny though, whether you're laughing with or at U2. The woeful Elevation acoustic set, however - that wasn't an attempt at humour, just a laughably bad excuse for a band trying to create an "intimate" setting and in the process wasting about 10 minutes of concert time that could have been used on playing the songs properly.

The first time ADAM watched a full public BONO/EDGE live set from the crowd?

I imagine that Sydney1 1993 Adam spent in a guarded hotel room under many layers of bedding with all lights turned out.

u2fp

Axver said:

The woeful Elevation acoustic set, however - that wasn't an attempt at humour, just a laughably bad excuse for a band trying to create an "intimate" setting and in the process wasting about 10 minutes of concert time that could have been used on playing the songs properly.

So the only reason you like this version of Stay is because Bono's voice is better than Elevation ? I mean, the guitar sounds pretty much the same...

Elevation's acoustic set was the weakest compared to Zoo TV or Popmart, I admit, but I like hearing an acoustic take on song and some U2 songs work really well that way.

t8thgr8 said:
maybe the way bono sings the long wave in that version is a sign of the vocal style we will see in the next album

You mean the "she's heart and soul" bit ? Yes that was different to other live versions of Angel of Harlem.

I'm digging the "WAVE" part and that last "stay with the demons you drowned, stay with the spirit I found, STAY and the night will be enough", you can hear him grunt afterwards. I just wish he'd do the oh-oh-oh-oh bits more fluently, like the album or Zoo TV versions.
And the "yeah yeah!" in Angel of Harlem hasn't be attacked like this in years, much like the "oh sister I can't let you go" verse in Desire.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
So the only reason you like this version of Stay is because Bono's voice is better than Elevation ? I mean, the guitar sounds pretty much the same...

Yeah. Like I said earlier, the instrumentation of Stay is pretty sparse, so there's nothing for poor vocals to hide behind. They need to carry the song, and on Elevation, they didn't, thus dooming that tour's performances to being excessively dull. However, in this performance, Bono does actually carry the song with wonderful vocals, so it's quite interesting. I'd still much prefer a full band version, but this is nonetheless quite listenable and enjoyable.

We may yet warm you up to acoustic U2. :wink:

I like all Stays personally, but studio hasn't been beaten for me.

U2girl said:
We may yet warm you up to acoustic U2. :wink:

:lol: Walk On wasn't bad last tour when I saw it acoustic in Auckland. Again, the full electric was better (I wish I'd got to hear that more than once!), but it was another acoustic version that had at least some good qualities rather than being a total snoozefest.

Rob33 said:

yeah there were some imperfections like that and errors but all that would be easily straightened out with some rehearsing, and as we all know, there was little of that for this gig...but the more important thing here is the way Bono is singing...this is so exciting!!! All 4 performances were absolutely superb vocally (both of them)...so I think we are in for something special as far as album/tour is concerned :wink:

Peterrrr! Where are you?? Reactions, thoughts?!?!

These versions are amazing in voice performences, havent had time to listen to AOH for so many times, only one. But I will listen to it more tonight. His voice sounds so clear, I think the sound has got much wider, full and richer. Specialy if you listen to Desire. :)

U2girl said:

And the "yeah yeah!" in Angel of Harlem hasn't be attacked like this in years, much like the "oh sister I can't let you go" verse in Desire.

That's exactly what I was thinking, the studio version of AOH is a bit of a belter, particuarly at the end when Bono pulls off some awesome vocal gymnastics. He managed to replicate it pretty well on Lovetown but since then he's chosen to sing the 'She's heart and soul, yeah, yeah' and 'Salvation in the blues, you never looked like an angel' lines more tentatively. What really stands out for me about this recent London performance is his willingness to really try and sing it the same way his younger self did, to mimic the original recording and push his voice into those difficult to reach places. He's clearly feeling confident and excited about his voice and eager to show off what he can do with it.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

You mean the "she's heart and soul" bit ? Yes that was different to other live versions of Angel of Harlem.

I'm digging the "WAVE" part and that last "stay with the demons you drowned, stay with the spirit I found, STAY and the night will be enough", you can hear him grunt afterwards. I just wish he'd do the oh-oh-oh-oh bits more fluently, like the album or Zoo TV versions.
I was talking about the money wave in wave of sorrow.

Back
Top Bottom