Best Strategy for using your pre-sale code

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuropa_fit

Blue Crack Addict
So I'm planning on attending the show closest to home and getting seats, so that my son (5 years old) can join me. There are about 5 other friends who've said they'd join me in our local area.

Then I'd like to do GA for 2 other shows.

So here's the dillema. Do I use my pre-sale code to get 4 good seats for the local show? Or do I use it to get 2 single GA tix for the out of town shows? Or 3 tix (me, son, hubby) and 1 GA? Or WHAT?!?!?!? *hyperventilates*

Having not done the Vertigo pre-sale but doing pre-sales for other bands, I know that they don't always give up the best seats during the pre-sale which makes me think I should wait to buy the family tix.

I may try to use it for 4 GA's, but I'm only planning on 2 shows this leg, so my question is, can I use the same code later next year?

good question. my guess is they'll give you a new one, but I don't know. does anyone remember how it worked on Vertigo? Well, besides the disastrous not working part.

as for the OP, I have no idea as I've never tried to get seats. if it were me personally I'd go for GA; I feel like they'll go the quickest. But I suppose the really good seats will too.

Getting U2 tickets is such an adventure...

I remember back in 92 my dad went to get tickets for me and a friend. He came in the door, told his hopeful and excited 14 year old daughter that they were sold out, then just as my face dropped and my lip started to tremble, he pulled out two tickets.

If that happened today I'd murder him. Believe me, I was ready to that day, but now it'd be even moreso if anyone tried pulling that with me. :lol:

I've always used the presales to try to get what I think will be the hardest tickets to get. These usually have been: out-of-town and first show of tour/leg. I don't think I've been shut-out yet. I haven't always gotten what I thought were the best seats, but I have gotten them.

I think GA will be a lot easier to get this time in the presale given the size of the field.

Prioritize your wants before the presale, but I think it's safe to say that you'll probably have more chances at getting tickets to your home-town show versus out-of-town.

Lots of choices in the next 2 weeks. Ugh. Good choices though.

Mark

I've always used the presales to try to get what I think will be the hardest tickets to get. These usually have been: out-of-town and first show of tour/leg. I don't think I've been shut-out yet. I haven't always gotten what I thought were the best seats, but I have gotten them.

I think GA will be a lot easier to get this time in the presale given the size of the field.

Prioritize your wants before the presale, but I think it's safe to say that you'll probably have more chances at getting tickets to your home-town show versus out-of-town.

Lots of choices in the next 2 weeks. Ugh. Good choices though.

Mark

your Avatar is awesome! :love:

I remember back in 92 my dad went to get tickets for me and a friend. He came in the door, told his hopeful and excited 14 year old daughter that they were sold out, then just as my face dropped and my lip started to tremble, he pulled out two tickets.

If that happened today I'd murder him. Believe me, I was ready to that day, but now it'd be even moreso if anyone tried pulling that with me. :lol:

That's what happened to me...except they really were sold out :(

It would seem to me that, if they announce another leg, they should give you another code. :shrug:

On Vertigo I "saved" a code for the second U.S. leg after getting shut out the first time around. I had my pick of seats/shows :applaud: with no waiting. I'm doing the same this time.

I don't recall them giving out more codes later, but if I'm wrong someone will correct me...

I'm pretty sure they gave us more codes for the second leg, the same way Prop used to offer more tickets for the second leg.

So if Chicago is the only date I'm interested in for what they have announced so far should I just buy 4 tix to that and they might give another presale code for later legs?

For Vertigo we got a new code for the third leg, although most of us could not get anything out of the pre-sale for the first leg anyway because of the fiasco. During Elevation I was a Prop member and I was able to order tickets twice, for the first and third leg, although I think for the third leg we were only allowed one show.

So there is no guarantee and it's always a risk to take, but from past experience there is a good chance we will get a second code for future legs next year, so there would be no point saving the one you have now. In fact I'm almost certain you won't be able to use the code they gave you now in a year or so, but I could be wrong.

i remember in 92 I had my friend wait in line forever so he could be the first to get tickets at the mall. but when the lady asked him what kind of tickets he wanted he didn't know, so he left the line to go ask me! well needless to say, by the time he got back all the tickets were sold out, we were furious!!

luckily, later that same day they announced they were adding another show! we were stoked. but while waiting in the mall one of my friends found a bag with 5,000 dollars in it! well we thought that was awesome until we noticed a couple scary looking guys acting shady, we knew they were after the money, we were so scared!

so we ended up hiding out in a tent in a sporting goods store at the mall. we camped there all the night to hide from the bad guys but also be able to buy u2 tickets first thing in the morning and scalp them to make even more money! unfortunately we got caught by the bad guys the next day, but it turns out they were just radio hosts doing a publicity stunt! we won front row tickets to see u2!!!! how crazy is that??

buying u2 tickets really is an adventure

good question. my guess is they'll give you a new one, but I don't know. does anyone remember how it worked on Vertigo? Well, besides the disastrous not working part.

as for the OP, I have no idea as I've never tried to get seats. if it were me personally I'd go for GA; I feel like they'll go the quickest. But I suppose the really good seats will too.

I'm pretty sure they DO NOT give you another code :|

I'm going all-in for the first leg and will hope we get a second round of presales the following year (after paying another renewal fee). Worst possible outcome - I end up going for the $30 seats.

So if Chicago is the only date I'm interested in for what they have announced so far should I just buy 4 tix to that and they might give another presale code for later legs?

I am pretty sure you'll get new codes by virtue of the fact that you'll have to cough up another $50 or $30 or whatever it'll be to renew your membership by then.

My concern is with this leg - I would like to pick up 2 GAs to TO1 and then hopefully 2 to TO2 (if there is one, which I think there probably will be). Now the question is, if they don't announce subsequent dates during the pre-sale, are we stuck buying 4 tix to one show and then gambling on the second show during the general sale? That would really blow. Prop used to let us provisionally choose additional dates in cities that were added later...gosh those were the days.

Hopefully someone with a better memory than me will be able to confirm/rubbish this but I seem to recall that additional shows added weren't available for presale last time around.

After the initial show had gone on sale to the public and had sold out, additional dates were added a few minutes later so there was time for a presale to happen.

The solution seems simple--if you are looking for 2 tickets to 2 shows in a row. Get 4 to the first show and undoubtedly someone will be shut out and have 2nd show tix to trade for your 1st show ones. It's the U2 Ticket Shuffle.

Mark---BTW if for some bizarrely insane reason you get stuck with tickets you can't trade or don't want to sell for under face, donate them to your local Big Brothers Big Sisters chapter. You get a tax write-off for them in the U.S. And, you would be doing a good thing.

I'm from the L.A. area.... how do I know when I can use my pre-sale code???? Will I be getting another email once the date and venue has been announced?

A lot less of a strategy for those wanting European tixs as we can only use it for one show :down:

I need two tickets for Amsterdam 20th July, the likely Amsterdam 21st and/or 22nd shows, Dublin 24th and Sheffield. I will most likely go for the Dublin GA x4 and have 2 spares to trade for the others, and try my luck with the public sales.

I will be be going for the 30 euro seats for at least one show, "behind" the stage, be a different perspective.

Other than that, GA all the way!

i don't recall getting another code for the third leg of the tour - I think I went the ebay route for the two Oakland shows (or for one of them at least). and i remember a few people who had codes left by the time the Mexico/S. America/Aussie/Japan leg rolled around using them to get tix to some of those shows. as far as how propaganda used to do it, i think those days are well behind us (unfortunately). Given the relatively few US dates in this second leg, it's possible that they'd hand out more codes but unless I see it in writing, probably not a good idea to assume.

I'm from the L.A. area.... how do I know when I can use my pre-sale code???? Will I be getting another email once the date and venue has been announced?

U2.com seems to be sending out another e-mail with links when the specific dates go on sale. Now, whether you get that e-mail in time is another question.

Mark

Should I save my code? (codes for each leg of the tour?)

I live in Philadelphia and it is not amoung the cities announced for the 2009 US tour. I could use my code to try to see them in DC or NY. But I'm a bit worried that this is my one and only presale code and that when the 2010 dates are announced and IF my city is amoung them, I will have used my code.

So...

Will there be codes for different legs of the tour?

I have the same question connachtpa. I live in Seattle and they aren't on the list for this year. Do I use my code for Vancouver, BC in hopes of getting a new code next year if (probably) they come to Seattle? The Vancouver show is on a Wednesday which is a bummer - if it was a weekend, that would make my decision.

I hope U2.com comes out with their plan on this soon so we can decide what we need to do. Anyone know when they will put out the dates for next year?

Back
Top Bottom