Best of album Nov 20th discussion Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ponkine said:

I bet you the "New Song" on this already rotten "Definitive" Best of will be just another song, no more than that :down:

There is the ray of sunshine we expect from you.

U2DMfan said:
The idea of a definitive Best Of, one disc, with about 18 of U2's best songs at one reasonable price is a great one.

There're several wrong points on this and other ones you posted mate:

1- There's NO WAY, I mean, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to make a "definitive" Best of U2 on just one disc. U2 have released 11 Studio albums and more than 50 singles, how come someone can make a 16 songs only "Definitive" Best of?

2- The so called "18 best songs" aren't their best songs, they are just their biggest hits. City Of Blinding Lights, Please, Running To Stand Still, A Sort Of Homecoming, Gloria, Surrender, One Tree Hill, Zooropa, Lemon, etc, etc are WAY better compositions and contain much better lyrics than the iPod s*** called Vertigo, and Vertigo will be included instead of those great pieces of music. Elevation is another 3 minutes long throwaway crap and it's quite possible it will be included.

3- Also "18 best songs" simply can't be true: because they include 2 songs for the first time, so nobody can call them "Best songs" on advance, that's pathetic to say the least. Just remember what happened with Best of 1990-2000. Do the fans remember the "New Songs" now?

4- The idea of including New Songs intended for the old fans is taking us for granted. We aren't that stupid to buy another compilation with the same songs for just one or two songs. That's what's internet download sites and torrents for. The days you had to swallow an entire album for just one or two songs are over.

:shrug:

ponkine said:

1- There's NO WAY, I mean, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to make a "definitive" Best of U2 on just one disc. U2 have released 11 Studio albums and more than 50 singles, how come someone can make a 16 songs only "Definitive" Best of?

2- The so called "18 best songs" aren't their best songs, they are just their biggest hits. City Of Blinding Lights, Please, Running To Stand Still, A Sort Of Homecoming, Gloria, Surrender, One Tree Hill, Zooropa, Lemon, etc, etc are WAY better compositions and contain much better lyrics than the iPod s*** called Vertigo, and Vertigo will be included instead of those great pieces of music. Elevation is another 3 minutes long throwaway crap and it's quite possible it will be included.

3- Also "18 best songs" simply can't be true: because they include 2 songs for the first time, so nobody can call them "Best songs" on advance, that's pathetic to say the least. Just remember what happened with Best of 1990-2000. Do the fans remember the "New Songs" now?

4- The idea of including New Songs intended for the old fans is taking us for granted. We aren't that stupid to buy another compilation with the same songs for just one or two songs. That's what's internet download sites and torrents for. The days you had to swallow an entire album for just one or two songs are over.

I happen to think Vertigo and elevation are two of the better songs they've done from the 2000's

ponkine said:

Stop posting.

hell even the idea of "best of" albums is kind of outdated now anyway since with itunes people can just go in and pick and choose their favorite songs to download

Me too!

Oh, wait ... I do have a uterus.

I'll pass on the babies, but just throw a :heart: :love: :heart: his way.

MrBrau1 said:

Stop posting.

:lmao: :lmao:

Damm , this normally should be considered rudeness , since is given to Ponkine , and we all know him :wink: that was just the perfect answer , addin with the baby avatar , that was really funny

Talkin bout , Chile pretty much love these 2 tunes on the show , why not u Ponkine ? :shrug: if everythin happens there u adore it

BTW if all Ipod shit had those guitar riffs :drool:

they could surprise us....they did put "the first time" on the last best of...no one saw that one coming.

The first Best of, leaving Gloria off aside, was very well done. More a Greatest hits than a Best of, still a good disc to get into 80s U2. Add in the B-sides and it's a winner. (where's the DVD, btw?)

The second was more of a Best of collection, all the best from the 90's on one disc plus good to have Miss Sarajevo, Your blue room and HMTMKMKM along with the other 90's material. Too bad they didn't just repeat the B-sides disc drill from the first Best of. The only thing I'd change is drop BD and Stuck and put on Stateless and Ground beneath their feet.

re: best of

THe second disc in the deluxe version will probably be a dvd with the videos for songs on disc one (greatest hits disc). Depeche Mode is doing this with their greatest hits release despite the fact that they just released dvd's recently with all of there videos.

Putting bsides or rare tracks on a second disc is probably not going to happen if this disc is being targetted to a general audience that does not own many u2 releases. A casual fan buying this would probably want the videos rather than unreleased material.

Just a though.......

Earnie Shavers said:

These, and the fact that they flat out ignored two of their singular greatest and best known songs of that decade (The Fly & Lemon)

The Fly wasn't left out on all versions. On my Best of 1990-2000 (Irish release), it's the last track after The First Time.

Based on what they want to select the "Definitive Best Known" songs for their s***? :eyebrow:

I mean, have a look a their top 10 singles in the UK:

1- New Year's Day
2- Sunday Bloody Sunday
3- Pride (in the name of love)
4- The Unforgettable Fire
5- With Or Without You
6- I Still Haven't Found
7- Where The Streets Have No Name
8- Desire
9- Angel Of Harlem
10-When Loves Comes To Town
11-All I Want Is You
12-The Fly
13-One
14-Stay (faraway so close)
15-HMTMKMKM
16-Miss Sarajevo
17-Discotheque
18-Staring At The Sun
19-Last Night On Earth
20-Please (Popheart EP)
21-Please
22-Sweetest Thing
23-Beautiful Day
24-Stuck In A Moment
25-Elevation
26-Walk On
27-Electrical Storm
28-Vertigo
29-Sometimes You Can't Make It
30-City Of Blinding Lights

U2 should need AT LEAST a 2 CD set just for a "Greatest hits" packaging:shrug: So any attempt at calling whatever songs as "Most known" without making the list from this 30 ones is just bulls***. Also any Greatest Hits based on "Most Known U2 songs" should be radically different in the US than the UK. For example, The Fly was a smash hit in the UK (#1) but ranked only at #61 in the US.

All I Want is You ranked #4 in the UK ... and #83 in the US
New Year's Day ranked #10 in the UK and #53 in the US
Pride ranked #3 in the UK and #33 in the US
Where The Streets wasn't even a top ten in the US !!
Pop had more top 10 singles than Achtung Baby !!

So what I'm trying to say is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to even come close to make any "Definitive Best Of with the BEST KNOWN SONGS" :banghead: :madspit: ANY selection criteria to squeeze this 30 songs is just bulls*** :yell:

Blue Room said:
Another Best Of album at this stage is just lame and a Christmas money grab by U2's label and maybe even U2 themselves. I think there is some credence to them wanting to get their album contract fullfilled for whatever reason. I think they could have come up with something better though than ANOTHER Best Of.

:ohmy:

:applaud:

ponkine said:
Based on what they want to select the "Definitive Best Known" songs for their s***? :eyebrow:

1- New Year's Day
2- Sunday Bloody Sunday
5- With Or Without You
6- I Still Haven't Found
8- Desire
9- Angel Of Harlem
11-All I Want Is You
12-The Fly
13-One
15-HMTMKMKM
16-Miss Sarajevo
17-Discotheque
18-Staring At The Sun
19-Last Night On Earth
20-Please (Popheart EP)
21-Please
22-Sweetest Thing
23-Beautiful Day
24-Stuck In A Moment
25-Elevation
26-Walk On
27-Electrical Storm
28-Vertigo

U2 should need AT LEAST a 2 CD set just for a "Greatest hits" packaging:shrug: So any attempt at calling whatever songs as "Most known" without making the list from this 30 ones is just bulls***. Also any Greatest Hits based on "Most Known U2 songs" should be radically different in the US than the UK. For example, The Fly was a smash hit in the UK (#1) but ranked only at #61 in the US.

So what I'm trying to say is that it's IMPOSSIBLE to even come close to make any "Definitive Best Of with the BEST KNOWN SONGS" :banghead: :madspit: ANY selection criteria to squeeze this 30 songs is just bulls*** :yell:

I'm totally with you, Ponkine. The only thing I have to point is those songs that weren't massive hits at the time, but that became known (sometimes more than top 10's) because of their airplay today. These are songs like I Will Follow, EBTTRT, Wild Horses (about these last two, I know people that know them, but they can't remember The Fly, for instance), Bad, Lemon, Numb, etc...
It's stupid to ignore songs because of others. In the case of U2, this makes so much sense...

Ah, always the bitching...here's a thought - if you think it's stupid, don't buy it. It's gonna cost like $9.99 at Target when it comes out, that's not bad just for the 2 new songs. Sure, I know I'm not gonna agree with every song pick on the cd but then again I didn't agree with 100% of the song picks on the 1st 2 best-of's. I just don't see what the big deal is...it's not like we were ever getting a whole new album this year anyway, and this replaced it.

If all you have to worry about in life is what U2 puts on their compilation cd then I surely envy you...

ponkine said:

1- New Year's Day
2- Sunday Bloody Sunday
5- With Or Without You
6- I Still Haven't Found
8- Desire
9- Angel Of Harlem
11-All I Want Is You
12-The Fly
13-One
15-HMTMKMKM
16-Miss Sarajevo
17-Discotheque
18-Staring At The Sun
19-Last Night On Earth
20-Please (Popheart EP)
21-Please
22-Sweetest Thing
23-Beautiful Day
24-Stuck In A Moment
25-Elevation
26-Walk On
27-Electrical Storm
28-Vertigo

I agree with you mate, but Sunday bloody Sunday was not a single in the Uk.

An Cat Gav said:

I agree with you mate, but Sunday bloody Sunday was not a single in the Uk.

Peculiarly, both you and ponkine are right. Sunday Bloody Sunday was a single in Europe the same time as Two Hearts Beat As One was in the UK, but nonetheless, U2Wanderer.org states that SBS still reached #7 on the UK charts (and THBAO only made #18 despite actually being the UK release!).

There are about twelve certs for this album. Songs that I don't think anyone will deny will be there...

With or Without You
Streets
Still Haven't Found
Pride
Unforgettable Fire
New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Desire
One
Stay (for album representation... and because Bono named it as one of his favourite U2 tracks)
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day (another one Bono seems to really like)

Other songs VERY likely to feature include I Will Follow, All I Want is You and Vertigo. Real Thing, Gloria, Lemon, Please, Elevation and City of Blinding Lights would also all be likely to feature, although we know of course that all of these won't, given the fact that the album has been capped at 18 tracks.

not that it matters(since i already have it), but i really hope they include HMTMKMKM.

Can the rudeness, people.

Yeah, that was kind of a rude way to say it, so...the rudeness ends startiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing...NOW!

Back
Top Bottom