AV Club's review of Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Afliktor

The Fly
saw Earnie Shavers post this in the SOI reviews thread:

A.V. Club: U2's electronic-heavy Pop deserves more respect for its risk-taking

The fact that someone not on Interference is writing this in 2014 makes me incredibly happy.

This friction between U2’s inherent beauty and more aggressive tendencies disfigured its sound in interesting ways, giving Pop a unique timbre.

I was seriously just thinking that yesterday - how Pop has a totally unique sound I haven't really heard anywhere else. Tons of bands experiment with electronics, U2 included, but Pop's combination of textures and tones creates a different kind of atmosphere.

The band wasn’t using technology to prop up subpar tunes; it worked with a solid musical foundation and merely sculpted interesting sounds and textures around and on it.

Which is why the Best Of versions make me sad - the songs themselves are still awesome, but they've taken away the sonic landscape that dominates Pop and makes it stand out.

During the band’s last two major tours (Elevation and 360°), the only song from Pop played in its entirety was “Discothèque”—a whopping two times.

obv she meant Vertigo, and this makes me sad. I have a feeling we won't get any Pop songs on SOI tour, either, as U2 have an ever-increasing amount of staples.

If only iTunes had been around in 1997. The concept of U2 in your junk mail would have fit ZooTV/Popmart U2 perfectly, and so many more people would have heard and liked this album. Honestly I think you could play Pop for someone who "hates" U2, not tell them who the artist is, and they wouldn't recognize it as U2 (unless they have a good ear for Bono's voice). but for people who are familiar with their work, it still has that special something that only U2 can bring.

Pop was the album that got me into U2, and while it's adored here, I'm not sure I've met anyone in real life who has even heard of Pop (except for the dumb kid in third grade who told me "Oh I had that CD but I threw it away." what kind of entitled little brat are you anyway). even when U2's albums were all charting, Pop was in last. so that's why it's so exciting to see this AV Club article... maybe it'll inspire someone to give Pop a chance.

saw Earnie Shavers post this in the SOI reviews thread:

A.V. Club: U2's electronic-heavy Pop deserves more respect for its risk-taking

The fact that someone not on Interference is writing this in 2014 makes me incredibly happy.

I was seriously just thinking that yesterday - how Pop has a totally unique sound I haven't really heard anywhere else. Tons of bands experiment with electronics, U2 included, but Pop's combination of textures and tones creates a different kind of atmosphere.

Which is why the Best Of versions make me sad - the songs themselves are still awesome, but they've taken away the sonic landscape that dominates Pop and makes it stand out.

obv she meant Vertigo, and this makes me sad. I have a feeling we won't get any Pop songs on SOI tour, either, as U2 have an ever-increasing amount of staples.

If only iTunes had been around in 1997. The concept of U2 in your junk mail would have fit ZooTV/Popmart U2 perfectly, and so many more people would have heard and liked this album. Honestly I think you could play Pop for someone who "hates" U2, not tell them who the artist is, and they wouldn't recognize it as U2 (unless they have a good ear for Bono's voice). but for people who are familiar with their work, it still has that special something that only U2 can bring.

Pop was the album that got me into U2, and while it's adored here, I'm not sure I've met anyone in real life who has even heard of Pop (except for the dumb kid in third grade who told me "Oh I had that CD but I threw it away." what kind of entitled little brat are you anyway). even when U2's albums were all charting, Pop was in last. so that's why it's so exciting to see this AV Club article... maybe it'll inspire someone to give Pop a chance.

POP is one of my favorites. I remember being in college at University of Wisconsin when POP came out. The AV Club is part of the Onion which originated there and I read it faithfully every week. I remember them doing a scathing review of POP when it came out. I remember one of the reasons was that ticket prices for the upcoming show in Madison were too high. (probably like 40 bucks, LOL) so this article is interesting to see from them.

I like the AV Club a lot. Their U2 articles usually have a lot of comments from actual fans, so there's some good discussion, alongside the inevitable "U2 sucks" comments.

It is an interesting review and Pop is my 3rd favourite album of theirs, so I absolutely enjoyed this review stating that Pop deserves much more respect for its risk-taking. :up::up:

This particular quote...

Pop wasn’t a case of old guys were trying to stay relevant by getting hip to youthful trends; U2 is a band fascinated by new musical frontiers and energized by challenging itself.

Some people on this very same forum need to read this quote... those who say that Pop was U2 trying to chase the current trends and stay relevant. Pop to me was exactly what this article states... using their incredible popularity up to that point to stretch the boundaries of their music to pretty strange places with the confidence that the fans will like it. It was a risk! It was bold.

The article ends with...

Had the album been recorded in an entirely different way (e.g., with none of the electronic trappings), it might have been received far differently—and far more positively.

I don't know what to make of this. Had they used less electronics and made the album more chimey or something and more traditional, I'm not sure how it would've been. I'm personally happy with Pop the way it was released.

If only iTunes had been around in 1997. The concept of U2 in your junk mail would have fit ZooTV/Popmart U2 perfectly, and so many more people would have heard and liked this album.

I agree. The difference being that during Zoo TV/Popmart, the gimmick would be tongue-in-cheek and satirical. Today, the band is just desperate.

Pop is such a good album, I only wish the band could see this. For instance the pointless new versions on the best of was a travesty!
I miss the risk taking element the band had with albums like Pop and Passengers.

Back
Top Bottom