Are they changing every album ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EvolutionMonkey

Acrobat
If the boys change their sound drastically from ATYCLB then that would be the first time that they changed their sound after only one album.This could be a trend that they keep following from now on for every album. I think they would do this to keep feeling relevant in the mainstream top 40 music world and to get new fans but changing after each album is a pretty new thing for the boys. What do you all think about if they do that ?

not too sure what I think... that would be cool if they did.

...but I've got a feeling they've only got one or two albums left in them anyway

EvolutionMonkey said:
If the boys change their sound drastically from ATYCLB then that would be the first time that they changed their sound after only one album.
Uh, no, it'd be the twelfth time.

Sorry Typhoon but I don't consider each of their albums to be reinventions of the previous ones.

Boy October, War and Under A Blood Red Sky are of the same vein with out much change in both sound and equipment (Edge)

Then comes Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum.

Achtung Baby, Zooropa and POP form the third change,

Lonely little ATYCLB is definatley a sonic change to the previous 3 and as many people say it's a throwback to Joshua Tree I would disagree and say it's more R&B then the rock that was Joshua and Unforgettable Fire.

LIke I said I think they're gonna change album to album from now on UNLESS they have some huge mainstream success selling a bizillion albums then they might re-do that album.

I can see what you mean about the "blocks" of albums being of a particular style. And quite clearly ATYCLB was vastly different from Pop.

But ... on the other hand, why do so many people like Achtung Baby but dislike Pop, when they are supposedly the same style?

Besides, what about Electrical Storm? That came 2 years after ATYCLB and if it wasn't similar to that album I don't know what is. Same for Hands that Built America to a certain extent.

Having said that, though, there's nothing wrong with U2 changing their sound after only one album, if they feel that's what they have to do. And, who knows, you might be surprised when you do hear the new album!

But ... on the other hand, why do so many people like Achtung Baby but dislike Pop, when they are supposedly the same style

Partly because of the unfair rep that Pop has (which predisposes some people to dislike it, thus coloring their perceptions of it), and also because although Pop is in the same sound range as AB, it's farther along in the spectrum.

~*Buffalo*~ said:

But ... on the other hand, why do so many people like Achtung Baby but dislike Pop, when they are supposedly the same style?

Besides, what about Electrical Storm? That came 2 years after ATYCLB and if it wasn't similar to that album I don't know what is. Same for Hands that Built America to a certain extent.

You bring up some interesting points Buffalo.

First I would like to say that I am one of those people who absolutley love POP and I think the reasons why it didn't receive the accolades that Achtung did had more to do with poor marketing than anything else. The feeling I got when POP was released was that a lot of people for some reason or the other were getting sick of U2 on some U2 overload sort of way which actually I feel is the exact reason why Electrical Storm tanked as well. Fans and non fans alike get tired of any band if they are overloaded or PERCEIVE that they are getting overloaded by a band. I think U2 and Bono in particular were receiving a backlash from critics because they the critics were feeling that U2 were not as relevant as they used to be even 5 years before and rehashing thesame thing which I disagree with. Where the critics got this type of idea is beyond me because U2 shouldn't have to do anything to appease anyone including their fans and definately not the critics. If those same critics had said that POP was a great effort from U2 then we might be having a different discussion right now. The only problems I have with that album is that the production was not so great in that it feels like theres too much bass volume in some of the songs ( I have to turn down the bass on my expensive speakers or they'll cut out completely). Other than that I love that album.

I'm not saying people are sick of U2 right now but with all the marketing they have done over the past 3 years some people are getting tired and I think the boys are aware of that an ddn't want to see any backlash for there next album. I mean think about it, they will be putting out an album in less than a year which is not really that long at all. They know they HAVE TO shake things up by putting something completely different than the last record or those same damn critics will try to thrash the record. Even though we don't care what those critics think, trust me U2 does in a business sort of way. The don't want to market and hype a record they think critics will trash. It's a sad situation but that's the price for being the band in the world.

Having said that I actually liked Electrical Storm and THTBA but the writing is one the wall and U2 know they have to shake things up A LOT in order to appease those damn critics. They could easily come out and trash the next record even though we all like it. U2 knows their hardcore fans will like their records but U2 also wants as many people as possible to listen to their music.

OMG, another Vancouver-ite!!! Nicely said, EvolutionMonkey, but I disagree to some extent. I do think marketing and media perception do play into it to a large extent, but I think Pop just didn't strike a chord with the masses in the same way that Achtung Baby did. I mean, Achtung wasn't promoted to nearly the same degree, but look how well it did. Also, critics trashing an album doesn't always result in low album sales. Take a look at Rattle & Hum, for example (or the Britneys of the world). To this day, it remains one of their highest selling albums of all time, selling over 10 million copies. I think if a product is really great, the public will generally buy it, if it's advertized at all. Pop was advertized very well, but the masses just weren't into it. Now, let's make it clear that doesn't mean it's a bad record. The masses love Britney Spears and J Lo, too, apparently so that's not what I'm saying. I'm simply saying it goes beyond the marketing and perception of the record, and to the actual material, itself.

Perhaps the music buying public weren't ready for Pop in 1997? But if that were true, why would they have gobbled up OK Computer by Radiohead in such ravenous fashion? Afterall, the latter album was unlike anything out there (in popular music) at the time, as well. Maybe U2's record (Pop) was not what the general public wanted from U2? Maybe it would have been huge if done by another artist? (Well, we all know that would be impossible--no one *but* U2 could have made Pop, but for sake of argument....) The point is, I really don't have one (a point), but the bigger point is, it goes deeper than one thing (ie, marketing), at least in my opinion.

Ps. Are there any other Vancouver U2 fans on this board? lol

Hey Michael i'm sorry I didn't reply for so long, my bro's gett'in married next week and i've been spending a ton of time at my folks place in Richmond with no internet access ! That's harsh for me since i'm an internet junky, Sometimes I think I got Telus high speed connected directly to my body instead of the computer like an IV drip ! Bro we gotta get together cause I have a feeling we would have some awesome discussions about U2 and their music and their choices that they've made through the years. I have a buddy of mine who turned me onto U2 right before Achtung and he's been a fan for a long time and some of the theory's and opinions he has of U2 and their songs are just simply mind boggling. We should get together down at the Cambie (where they have a cd jukebox and 2.50 a pint !) and discuss stuff, I have had some wacky discussions in that place, heh heh. The only other person I can remember from Vancouver here was a girl named Carmanah I remember because she recorded a mystery U2 song off of CFOX like in 1993 and she couldn't figure out what song it was and everyone here was helping her out. I haven't seen her here for a while, that would be cool if she hooked up with us in a live meeting, I have a feeling she'd have some cool shit to say.

Going back to POP and why it didn't resonate with the public I would have to say that their choice of using Discotheque and dressing like the village people didn't exactly help matters except for maybe the people hanging out in PLEBA :) Cause I do remember seeing it and thinking to myself 'what the fuck is going on ?' But I got passed it and into the music but lot's of people can't seperate music from image.

Aside from my buddy I haven't had any hard core discussions about U2 with anybody in vancouver just on the internet which is awesome in it's own way but face to face meetings with some beer going would be the coolest thing. The girls we hang out with just hate it when me and my buddy start kicking in with U2 cause they obviously don't have the same spark for it and I guess if you don't like it it would suck having to listen to songs all night. (It's my stereo heh heh)

I don't see that Achtung baby and Pop are albums in the same style. To me both are very different from eachother, in sound and songstructure, although you could say both albums are based on experiments with different rhythms. In my opinion the fact that Achtung Baby was more succesful than Pop had to do with the fact that when Achtung Baby was released everybody was a bit sick of the u2 that ended the 80's, with Bono being a sort of Jesus on stage. Remember the famous speech during the new years concert in Dublin in 1989. U2 themselves seemed to have reached the point where they had enough of the band they had become. Achtung baby put U2 in another perspective, where they showed the world they weren't the way-too-serious-band they used to be. Pop took that new image a little further, but again, just like the situation at the end of the 80s, things became a little overdone and people got tired of it. ATYCLB took U2 back to its basics, heartfelt melodic rocksongs. So in the end we're back at the start, ready for a new decade of U2, rocking the world. It could well be the last decade!!!

By the way, just like i don't see the resemblance between AB and Pop, i also don't see the resemblance between TUF and The Joshua Tree, musically speaking. But that's just my opinion.

patrick

I must disagree with this thread

I believe that U2 reinvents themself in every record, they always give us a new challenge, but I feel that ATYCLB didn't give us any challenge, it was a good record, but it didn't offer any new and exciting sounds.

I really hope that they improve their sound and offer us another exciting challenge.

EvolutionMonkey said:
Hey Michael i'm sorry I didn't reply for so long, my bro's gett'in married next week and i've been spending a ton of time at my folks place in Richmond with no internet access ! That's harsh for me since i'm an internet junky, Sometimes I think I got Telus high speed connected directly to my body instead of the computer like an IV drip ! Bro we gotta get together cause I have a feeling we would have some awesome discussions about U2 and their music and their choices that they've made through the years. I have a buddy of mine who turned me onto U2 right before Achtung and he's been a fan for a long time and some of the theory's and opinions he has of U2 and their songs are just simply mind boggling. We should get together down at the Cambie (where they have a cd jukebox and 2.50 a pint !) and discuss stuff, I have had some wacky discussions in that place, heh heh. The only other person I can remember from Vancouver here was a girl named Carmanah I remember because she recorded a mystery U2 song off of CFOX like in 1993 and she couldn't figure out what song it was and everyone here was helping her out. I haven't seen her here for a while, that would be cool if she hooked up with us in a live meeting, I have a feeling she'd have some cool shit to say.

Going back to POP and why it didn't resonate with the public I would have to say that their choice of using Discotheque and dressing like the village people didn't exactly help matters except for maybe the people hanging out in PLEBA :) Cause I do remember seeing it and thinking to myself 'what the fuck is going on ?' But I got passed it and into the music but lot's of people can't seperate music from image.

Aside from my buddy I haven't had any hard core discussions about U2 with anybody in vancouver just on the internet which is awesome in it's own way but face to face meetings with some beer going would be the coolest thing. The girls we hang out with just hate it when me and my buddy start kicking in with U2 cause they obviously don't have the same spark for it and I guess if you don't like it it would suck having to listen to songs all night. (It's my stereo heh heh)
Hey E-Monkey, sorry I took forever in replying, too. Must be a BC thing ;) I'm actually living in the Okanagan at the moment, but I'll be back in Vancouver this weekend. It'll probably be for a very short stay (unless I can get a ride back later next week)...but give me an e-mail at nazzytuzzy@hotmail.com (like my ID name? Do you like the Canucks?)...anyway, if I've got time this weekend, it would be cool to go to the Cambie and have some U2 discussion! I've got another buddy who's a producer who loves them as well, and maybe I can drag him out there. I've been there a few times...it's the oddest place in the world...you have bikers hanging out with preppies hanging out with asians hanging out with cowboys hanging out with yuppies hanging out with natives hanging out....yeah, I know the place! Always a good time.

PS. I agree with you about Pop and the Village People thing. That was, in my opinion, a mistake. Kind of set the tone for the public perception of that album. I also think Pop was almost too dark an album for many people. At least with Radiohead's OK Computer, for example, there was just enough artifice to balance out the murkiness...it was more like an art exhibition of sorts...but with Pop you really got the feeling the world *was* actually going to end, lol. Maybe it hit a little to deep? I don't know what it was...

Oh, I remember hearing about Carmanah...I think I met her at the Elevation Concert, too.

Michael Griffiths said:

Hey E-Monkey, sorry I took forever in replying, too. Must be a BC thing ;) I'm actually living in the Okanagan at the moment, but I'll be back in Vancouver this weekend. It'll probably be for a very short stay (unless I can get a ride back later next week)...but give me an e-mail at nazzytuzzy@hotmail.com (like my ID name? Do you like the Canucks?)...anyway, if I've got time this weekend, it would be cool to go to the Cambie and have some U2 discussion! I've got another buddy who's a producer who loves them as well, and maybe I can drag him out there. I've been there a few times...it's the oddest place in the world...you have bikers hanging out with preppies hanging out with asians hanging out with cowboys hanging out with yuppies hanging out with natives hanging out....yeah, I know the place! Always a good time.

PS. I agree with you about Pop and the Village People thing. That was, in my opinion, a mistake. Kind of set the tone for the public perception of that album. I also think Pop was almost too dark an album for many people. At least with Radiohead's OK Computer, for example, there was just enough artifice to balance out the murkiness...it was more like an art exhibition of sorts...but with Pop you really got the feeling the world *was* actually going to end, lol. Maybe it hit a little to deep? I don't know what it was...

Oh, I remember hearing about Carmanah...I think I met her at the Elevation Concert, too.

Hey bro just sent you an email !

Peter

Sidenote, and not that anyone even reads this forum (ha!) but I must chip in. Achtung Baby and POP differ quite radically in that the former was inspired wholly or in part by the Manchester dance-rock of the late 80s and the latter was inspired by mid-90s electronica/dance ala the Prodigy etc. Maybe a fine distinction but a distinction nonetheless. I don't think the latter trend ever really caught on in the US, although it's odd to my ears how many albums by bands over the last four or five years sound much like what U2 did on POP, but are deemed ok. U2 got a lot of stick cause of the UK-music-press perception that they are the band you 'fall over to'. I've always found a lot of sexy rhythm in their music so it baffles me a bit, but that perception is as old as the band itself.
I think POP suffered (in so far as it did suffer) because as others have said, it was simply decided that it was U2's time to take a dive. Lest we forget, POP actually did get mostly strong and in some cases glowing reviews when it initially came out. I know, I was there.

In an odd way, I also think POP suffered by coming out in the same year as OK Computer. Many people (including me) see OK Computer as far and away the superior of the two albums, which both deal in similar themes and broadly (not exactly) similiar musical trends. That really made U2 look like one-trick donkeys, although in fairness POP was and is a fine album.

rio589 said:
I must disagree with this thread

I believe that U2 reinvents themself in every record, they always give us a new challenge, but I feel that ATYCLB didn't give us any challenge, it was a good record, but it didn't offer any new and exciting sounds.

I agree... The first part is correct... and yes, ATYCLB didnt give us any challenge but I disagree with "it didnt offer any ney and exctig sounds"... ATYCLB is one of my fav albuns

I guess U2 will be playing until 2010, but realize that bands like Aerosmith and Deep Purple are old and they still play!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom