Anybody like Electrical Storm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I just wanna find out what people like about the song. I love it too. I am curious if anybody really appreciates it like I do. I've just recently fallen in love with it. I used to find it average. If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything, you'll just waste valuable web space.

I :heart: it. I haven't been listening to a whole lot of U2 lately (trying to discover other stuff), but that is one song I listen to often.

I love it and have from the first time I heard it. I like the B sides version best. The lyrics are very special to me, in a sad way. I posted a thread about it late last summer, but I don't feel like talking about it now :(

:up: Love it! Beautiful music, lyrics that get seem a little less throw-away each time, a perfect build to a climax...Good song.
The b-side version is my favorite, too, although for awhile the Orbit mix was my favorite. The vocals in the b-side are better- I like that they didn't echo the "Heeeeeeeey!" part.
The lyrics are special for me, too; it was (completely randomly) the first song I heard afterI found out I was being transferred and "You're kept awake/Dreaming someone else's dream" and "Baby, don't cry" were exactly what I needed to hear right then.

I think it's a great tune. I prefer the orbit mix, because I love the keyboards in it.
my favorite part is the "you're in my mind all of the time..." then going into the "e-l-e-c-t-r-i-c-a-l stooooorrrmm" bit.
good stuff. not surprised it wasn't a huge hit though. they didn't try to promote it very much, I guess because it was on a best of cd. remember the media blitz on atyclb? whew.

When I first heard it I thought it was better than the songs on ATYCLB. I now think it is along the lines of ATYCLB, but just a bit rawer guitar sound. It's probably a nice calling card for the new album.

Awesome song, such a great climax, great guitars, but what makes it the best is the vocals. Bono with the "HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!"

Gets me all the time. Of course the original cut is better than the Orbit mix. Edge's guitar is so much better on the original version.

The new album will be great if it follows that direction.

I like it. I also like the version on the b-side cd better than the William Orbit mix. :up:

I find it odd that everyone likes the "guitar" version better than the orbit mix; to me, the first one sounds pretty ordinary as far as the guitars go, and a bit mish-mash with the arrangement.
the orbit mix sounds really fresh to me, but hey, who's to argue with personal preference?

I love Electrical Storm! It has a beautiful melody, great vocals and some kick-ass guitar playing by the Edge. I actually like both versions of the song, although I have a slight preference for the more "rocking" b-side version. What I do like about the version on the first Best Of disc is the dynamics. It does sound more dramatic when you go from very, very soft in the beginning and build all the way to the end. And it does work much better for the ES video than the b-side version would have.

The only real problem I have with the song is the "heavy as a truck" line, but hey, it's only one line. :shrug:

It's a nice enough tune. My problem is with the video. It has some good ideas: I dig the black and white film. Larry pulling things out of the ocean was nice. Bono singing on a train? Wonderful. The band playing on the beach with the flashing light effects looked great. And it had Edge in a cowboy hat.

Oh, and it also had Larry making out with a mermaid. And a freaking phantom deer or something. What the hell?

I liked it after a couple listens. But it is kind of easily forgotten. Doesn't have much resonance. Especially compared with ATYCLB. I think they knew that. They only released it with the best of for that reason. They know what they are doing, and they do it so well!

typhoon said:
It's a nice enough tune. My problem is with the video. It has some good ideas: I dig the black and white film. Larry pulling things out of the ocean was nice. Bono singing on a train? Wonderful. The band playing on the beach with the flashing light effects looked great. And it had Edge in a cowboy hat.

Oh, and it also had Larry making out with a mermaid. And a freaking phantom deer or something. What the hell?

watch the best of DVD with anton's directors comments. the video seems twice as amazing after that!

I like it! :D It's a great combination of rock song and amazing lyrics - like Beautiful Day on steroids. I do think it's underappreciated because in its own right it is a superb song, but I think maybe the timing was wrong for U2. Same with Hands that Built America (another fantastic song that doesn't get the attention it deserves).

I do think it's underappreciated because in its own right it is a superb song

I agree. I think it's an absolutely wonderful song. The original is quite a bit better than the William Orbit mix in my opinion, but I really enjoy them both. If their new album is going to have songs anything like that on it, I'll be very happy!

I just love this song. I guess I prefer the Orbit remix, but I'll take either one. That huge "HHHHEEEYYYYY!" and the "Baby don't cry" bit are my favorite parts.

It's kind of weird, though -- it's one of the few songs where I don't care for the chorus. Usually it's a great chorus that makes me love a song, but I love everything but the chorus.

It captures a lot of emotion, beautiful song, beautiful voice.
and the imagery in the film clip.....I still haven't gotten over that:faint:
fan-tas-tic music and art imho

I like much the lyric, musically... :|
and as woman I enjoy much the video although wanted throw a stone to Samantha Morton

It's on my top 20. I was partial to the guitar on the first version that surfaced... but I like both the Orbit and B-side versions, depending on what mood I'm in. Also, that song makes me think of wet Larry... A vewy good thing. :D

I had already thought of Pink Floyd when I heard ES. I listened to dark side of the moon alot, then and now. Similar in alot of respects. Chris Thomas know's what he's doing and U2, goes without saying. I can't wait to hear the new stuff!!! Seems so close yet so far away..:sigh:

Last edited:
I LOVE the Orbit version. When I first heard it to be honest I was a little disappointed cos it sounded quite mediocre but the second time I heard it something inside just clicked during the first two lines of the chorus and I completely fell in love with the song!
Like someone already mentioned, the line 'heavy as a truck' isn't exactly the best ever, but that's not that important :)
I just love the whole sound of the song, the atmospheric and ethereal sound of it! :D It's definitely amongst my favourites now :yes:

Its a breakthrough song for rock music, it features the first duet between a rock band and animal. Donald Duck has special hidden guest vocals beneath The Edge's solo in the outro.(I wanted to write crescendo but was unsure of the spelling, too shy to embarass myself.. Oh I think I did)

:eyebrow:

Anyway, this might sound stupid, but what's the difference between the original and the Orbit mix? I know I've heard both, but I don't know which is which. Can anyone help?

alia612 said:
:eyebrow:

Anyway, this might sound stupid, but what's the difference between the original and the Orbit mix? I know I've heard both, but I don't know which is which. Can anyone help?

Orbit mix is the one on the "1990-2000" best of CD.

I really like the song too.....great guitar as always..... the video on the other hand is an entirely different story! :wink:

AdamsMango said:
watch the best of DVD with anton's directors comments. the video seems twice as amazing after that!
Now it's stupid and pretentious.

My initial response to the deer:

"What the hell?"

My response to Anton's explanation of the deer:

"What the HELL?!"

Also, they shouldn't ever let any member of U2 besides Bono act.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom