Am I living in the past?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
It seems like I think a whole lot of things were better when I was younger. I'm 22, so I grew up in the late 80s and the 90s. I fear I may be clinging too tightly to the pop culture of those times.

Music? Prime U2, Depeche Mode, old-school Metallica, Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Bends-OKC era Radiohead, Automatic/Out Of Time era REM, BSSM/OHM/Californication era RHCP, Alanis Morissette, Fumbling/Surfacing era Sarah McLachlan, even lesser bands like Third Eye Blind, Smashmouth, Goo Goo Dolls(think Dizzy Up The Girl), Fastball, Everclear, even early Matchbox 20, all of this stuff from the 90s, they all just do it for me more than anything 'new' of the past few years.

Video games? I'm a huge video game fan, but none of the recent new consoles(PS3/Wii/Gamecube/XBox/XBox360/etc) are getting me excited. I don't like what's happening to the video game industry. I remember when video games were an underground thing aimed towards geeks. Now everybody and their mother plays them, and the games themselves aren't what they used to be. Originality is lacking. I prefered old-school games where they didn't rely so heavily on graphics. Tetris, Mario Bros. 1/2/3, Zelda 1/2, Donkey Kong, Super Mario World, Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, Zelda 3, NBA Jam, Sonic 1/2/3, Altered Beast, Columns, even N64/Playstation1 stuff from the late 90s...Goldeneye, Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina Of Time, Turok, Blast Corps, Starfox, Final Fantasy VII, Diablo, Warcraft II, Tomb Raider, Soviet Strike, Twisted Metal...on and on and on.

Saturday Night Live? I think it sucks today. But in the 90s? Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Mike Myers, Adam Sandler, Chris Rock, Phil Hartman, Rob Schnieder, Kevin Nealon, David Spade, and later Will Ferrell, Norm McDonald, Cheri Oteri, Ana Gasteyer, Molly Shannon. Great stuff back in the day.

To a lesser extent movies and television. In this category I'm not totally stuck in the past. There are certainly still great films out there, many of them, no question, though I still get a huge nostalgia kick from Jurassic Park, Forrest Gump, BTTF trilogy, Die Hard trilogy, Indiana Jones films, and the like. As for television...comedy was better back then(Seinfeld, Friends, Mad About You, Frasier, Cheers[DAMN NBC was POWERHOUSE back then!], old-school Simpsons, South Park when it was new and fresh and a phenomenon, The Wonder Years...), but drama is better now...this is the one area where I can honestly say it's better now than it was then...there was no television drama as good as 24 or The West Wing or Studio 60 or the like(except for maybe old-school ER).

And I'm an NBA fan. I still love to watch, but no way does the NBA of Kobe, LeBron, Wade, etc excite me as much as the NBA of the 80s and 90s with Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy Larry Bird, Julius Erving, Isiah Thomas, Clyde Drexler, Dennis Rodman, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, Chris Mullin, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Reggie Miller, Alonzo Mourning, Scottie Pippen, Gary Payton, Shawn Kemp, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, younger Shaq, (speaking of when all of these guys were in their prime, of course). Basically the 80s era of Magic/Bird/Dr.J and the 90s 'Dream Team' era.

I feel abnormal, like there's some kind of psychological reason for not wanting to let go of the past. Why do I prefer so much from the past and so much less from the present?

Sorry for taking up space/time that could've been used for people with real problems.

Last edited:
South Park is like a fine wine, it gets better with age. The latest series' of it have been fabulous. If you're going to embrace something 'new', come back to South Park.

Things now do seem to suck....but....if you ask most people they will tell you that the best music, tv, lifestyle was when they were 18-25. It's when you find yourself and can really connect with the world. That's why all the older folks say "when I was your age".

You know this is weird, I was thinking the same thing today! I grew up in the 70's and 80's and I keep thinking how much better and more fun everything was back then. The music was better, the air smelled better, the TV shows were funnier, the food was cheaper, and best of all, I didn't have all the misery and responsibility and problems I have now. People and animals I loved very much were still alive. I get so nostalgic sometimes when I hear an old song, or smell a flower or a food that reminds me of the old days that it brings tears to my eyes wishing for a way to bring back the past. I really don't see any hope for the future.

No reason to feel abnormal at all. You remember the best of things from those time and things that bring you joy & pleasure. I could say the same for things but go back about 10-20 years and name things that I loved from a different "era", such as shows that were better: the ORIGINAL Saturday Night Live with Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Gilda Radner, Jane Curtain, Bill Murray, Loraine Newman, Garret Morris,... :drool: If we are talking 18-25 years of age, then I get all the music including when U2 began, and so much more. Days BEFORE CDs. New cars that were under $10,000 and weren't deathtraps, ...

And at some point, I think you use the past as a basis for things new, like music , TV, movies (po culture), politics, etc.

Old days :hi5:

I got to discover the 80s (mainly music) for the first time on my own. That's when I grew up, but we never had any sort of video game stuff, we never had cable and didn't watch much TV, and my mom only listened to her "oldies" music stations. I suppose my mom was really nostalgic about growing up in the 60s and 70s. There's not too much I really miss about my childhood other than being able to play outside all day long, building forts an catching frogs and such. I know very little about 80s pop culture :reject:

originally posted by cinnamison
Things now do seem to suck....but....if you ask most people they will tell you that the best music, tv, lifestyle was when they were 18-25. It's when you find yourself and can really connect with the world. That's why all the older folks say "when I was your age".

This has got me thinking. I'm part of that age group (I'm almost 25), and I barely listen to the music that is out now. I've been listening to a lot of 80s, early to mid 90s music. The stuff that has been out during my 18 -25 years has been god-awful. I'm listening to music from when I was kid to mid-teens. I really hope that hasn't hindered my maturity level or anything (I feel so young for my age).

Last edited:
I know the feeling, Im 17, and im a complete granny. :wink:

I much prefer older music, soul in particular, to modern day, which quite frankly save one or two bands I just find bland and repetitive. Video games? Im with you on that too. I was practically raised by Sonic, and have all my old sega and nintendo games, and wouldnt trade them for the world. :D

Even the way I dress and act, I guess Im just old in the head. :)

This also probably explains why I dont get on well with anyone my age. :laugh:

I used to be like that in terms of music some years ago... But then I decided to give it a chance and listen to new stuff. And you know what? There are many good new artist around...
Video games? I was never into that... The only one I was addicted to was Age Of Empires... I don't even know if its old or new :lol:
I don't watch much TV either except for some series like Lost or House... I used to watch a lot more when I was a kid so I guess I preffer the old stuff too...

Angela Harlem said:

Roosevelt and Tolkien have said this first. You can't take credit!
:shh:

doh.gif

Hell Yeah, I'm 16 and would do anything to go back to when I was 9,10 or 11. School was simpler, everyone got on with everyone. At lunch time we would wolf down our food and head out and get a game of football(Soccer) and if we were lucky we would get to play on the grass, some really amazing memories. Every friday I would watch old-school Attitude Era WWF at my pals and after we would have ladder matches and like on his double bed It did eventually snap into 6 seperate pieces but still good times. O have a nostalgia sweet tooth for Video games, I often play the likes of Command and Conquer Red Alert 1, Doom, Quake and Super Mario World for the Super Nintendo :drool: I could go on and on how much the 90s rocked and how meh particulary this last year has been for me.

But yeah If only I could do what they done in Napoeleon Dynamite and buy a Time Machine off the internet and go back in time :drool:

"The more you know, the less you believe"

...As you age, you have more experience, so it's harder to be "wowed." A child is wowed by anything; an old man has seen most of it before. The trick is to just look for new things that excite you, even if they aren't new on the scene.

Back
Top Bottom