All Things Australia-ish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, it took me a long time to say Etihad instead of Telstra Dome (especially since I'd never heard of Etihad airlines and had no idea who or what it was named after)... but then it took me a long time to say Telstra Dome instead of Colonial. I guess calling it Docklands simplifies matters but it's something else I'd have to get used to. *L* :setinmyways:

I still sometimes accidentally say "the Dome", which is especially stupid since IT'S NOT A FUCKING DOME! Glad that name's been consigned to history.

Fresh burnout marks after 'vigil' at scene of fatal Werribee smash | Herald Sun

oh yes, this is Werribee for you, people. juvenile graffiti, a Jack Daniels sticker, "vigil" burnouts and the bogan symbol.

this comes after it was revealed that one of the victims dropped out of school in year 8, and judging the photos i've seen the people involved seem to be a bit "underprivileged".

makes me sound horrible, i know. i've got compassion, this should never have happened and three people should not be dead, it's a tragedy, but so often these things involve cheap alcohol, baseball caps, hoodies, commodores and the like.

Yeah, this sort of thing is pretty despicable, and I don't doubt that some family members would feel pretty disappointed in it. It's like, a few years ago where I grew up some fella died young from complications related to alcoholism, I don't know all the details, and before his tombstone was even up people were leaving empty bottles of Jack at his grave. Come the fuck on!

btw, just backtracking before, a lot of people still say "Footy Park", so I suspect the same will be with Subi.

Yeah, this sort of thing is pretty despicable, and I don't doubt that some family members would feel pretty disappointed in it. It's like, a few years ago where I grew up some fella died young from complications related to alcoholism, I don't know all the details, and before his tombstone was even up people were leaving empty bottles of Jack at his grave. Come the fuck on!

btw, just backtracking before, a lot of people still say "Footy Park", so I suspect the same will be with Subi.

One of my friends had a friend who was killed in some alcohol-related traffic accident, and apparently at this friend's funeral, all his mates were putting cans of VB in his coffin because he loved alcohol. Um.

And I still call "Southern Cross" station Spencer Street half the time. Stupid name change - How does "Southern Cross" give people an idea of where it is? *RE*

Alisaura said:
And I still call "Southern Cross" station Spencer Street half the time. Stupid name change - How does "Southern Cross" give people an idea of where it is? *RE*

Exactly, although tourists to Australia or relative newcomers only think of it as Southern Cross and I've confused them sometimes when I've referred to the station as Spencer Street.

I heard there was talk of changing it back to Spencer. I hope they do.

Just got an e-mail from Get Up regarding some petition Andrew Wilkie is doing against pokies.

I've got to be honest and say that this is an issue I outright just do not care about (much). Of all the things wrong in our society, they choose to focus on something like this? I'm sorry, but I'm much more interested in better education, better healthcare, better public transport, and combatting Tony Abbott's anti-intellectual and anti-science attitudes. Maybe it's because I've never known any problem gamblers. Maybe it's because I'm a twat. In principle, I can see how pokies can be bad, and how the gambling industry needs regulation and control like any other to avoid people being exploited, but I cannot bring myself to care much or see it as a priority.

I guess I'll have to briefly part company with my fellow lefties on this one? I just see gambling as a choice, and if you end up blowing your life savings - well, that's your responsibility and your fault. This isn't to say I don't believe helping people who are addicted, because I do, and there should certainly be forms of support to those trying to rein in and recover from gambling problems. But jesus christ people, it's not The Political Issue Of Our Era, or even an issue of major importance. No idea how people like Nick Xenophon manage to make an entire political career around this.

Long story short, this is one petition that won't be getting my signature.

Australia does not have Pee-Wee's Playhouse. I'm rethinking my plans to visit. :tsk:

Just kidding. :wink:

Seriously, though, Australia. Pee-Wee's Playhouse. Get on that shit.

...Sicy, my posting privileges should be revoked after 1 AM... :laugh:

After Adam Hills' show tonight (and isn't it much better than Rove?!) came a preview of Chris Lilley's (We Can Be Heroes, Summer Heights High) new jaunt, Angry Boys.

It's going to get a lot of complaints, I think. Heaps of swearing, offensive language, a bit of nudity. Nathan (the deaf kid from We Can Be Heroes) and his family are back, as is that Asian mum he played (she now has an Asian son who skateboards and pretends to be gay to please his Mum, that's a bit subversive, will be interesting to watch), he's also playing a female prison warden and a black teenage American hip-hop star. Yes he dons blackface, and his parents are played by actually black people. Will be interesting to watch that go down... leaving aside whether you think it's racist or not (I'm sorry, it doesn't bother me) I think it would have been funnier if he was a white teenage hip-hop sensation.

Here's a few videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwKIJolyzKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwtsIFzSdX0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VZdUGm3t30&feature=relmfu

Very much looking forward to it.

Oh Tony Martin :heart:

That was awesome.

In fact, there has barely been a weak moment on Adam Hills' show so far. Wonderful television. About the only thing I'd change would be to give Hannah Gadsby more airtime.

As for Chris Lilley though? One of the least funny people in Australia. Wish he'd just fuck off.

don't you mean "she'd"? :wink:

there was a very Late Show-ish joke from Martin last night, when he was talking about the unattended bag at the airport. "So this one security bloke said, "this bag is unattended", and he called in more security guards, who all came over to say that yes, the bag was unattended." i can imagine that sketch going down on The Late Show, where you'd have 50 security guards all come over and say the bag is unattended, but not actually do anything about it.

Axver said:
As for Chris Lilley though? One of the least funny people in Australia. Wish he'd just fuck off.

You serious? Summer Heights High is sheer genius. Never have I been able to relate so vividly to and both laugh so hysterically at a TV show. It's an incredible accomplishment.

there was a very Late Show-ish joke from Martin last night, when he was talking about the unattended bag at the airport. "So this one security bloke said, "this bag is unattended", and he called in more security guards, who all came over to say that yes, the bag was unattended." i can imagine that sketch going down on The Late Show, where you'd have 50 security guards all come over and say the bag is unattended, but not actually do anything about it.

BRING BACK THE LATE SHOW.

You serious? Summer Heights High is sheer genius. Never have I been able to relate so vividly to and both laugh so hysterically at a TV show. It's an incredible accomplishment.

Chris Lilley's entire schtick is "oooh look at me I'm a grown man playing multiple stereotypical characters INCLUDING A GIRL OOOOH!"

Tosser.

Also, surprised nobody took me up on that pokies rant.

I'd be tempted to post it in FYM but anything not about America sinks like a stone there (not meant as a criticism, just that, well, the regulars there are by and large either American or there to talk about America).

Msg from a mate:

I walked into hungry jacks the other day and there was a heap of muslim women in there dressed up in their gear but these ladies were different because all their clothing was colourful and bright, thats when i thought to myself, wow the burkas are better at hungry jacks

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom