All Southern Hemisphere tour information/rumours here please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I think no one would really be arguing the fact that the Edge really IS on fire, I just hope he'd be immune to heat stroke ...

May I comment that Perth also has heatwaves in February? Good. I just did. If U2 are doing a 360 degrees (getit?, Im so wittae in the morning!) tour then they would have to play Perth too. :heart:

As for Seoul in Feb - hmm, unless they have installed a roof on the Olympic Stadium or 2002 Stadium I doubt it. Busan has a stadium with a roof if I remember correctly. I am still hoping for a Hong Kong show. It will be 20 or so degrees celcius there at the time - and that way they can claim they've played China!

Does U2 have a solid market at all in Asia? They usually just hit Japan and that's it.

Is it because Japan is more 'Westernized' than China, Korea, Singapore, etc.?

Almost every artist in the rock/pop world has visited China, so U2 is due for such an excursion.

In Adelaide we get some nights that don't get below 30. One time it was still 35 at midnight!

Don't remind me. I remember the air conditioner was on until midnight, I couldn't sleep because because of the noise, then it was turned off, and then I couldn't sleep with the heat. :crack:

where is thatsnotmypuppy by the way? he's been a bit quiet, which history says is not good.

All good -

working in Shanghai on some Expo shenanigans - thus I haven't had a huge amount of time to pop online.

As for U2 in Asia - I haven't seen any copies of 'Horizon' in Beijing or Shangers - but with the huge expat market in Hong Kong they would do very, very well if they played there.

but with the huge expat market in Hong Kong they would do very, very well if they played there.

If that is that case- What stadium in Hong Kong would be suitable for THE CLAW?

Based on some internet research I've done, most concerts in Hong Kong by international artists are held at the World Asia Arena.

Does U2 have a solid market at all in Asia? They usually just hit Japan and that's it.

Is it because Japan is more 'Westernized' than China, Korea, Singapore, etc.?

Almost every artist in the rock/pop world has visited China, so U2 is due for such an excursion.

His siding with Tibet and the Dalai Llama every now and again probably doesn't help U2's chances of playing there, though.

People like Martin Scorsese and Brad Pitt are barred from entering China because of films they have made regarding the issue (Kundun and Seven Years in Tibet).

While of course Bono isn't barred from China or anything I could see them running into trouble with the Chinese government being known as a 'polical act'.

And by the way, I'll totally fly to Japan and see them.

If that is that case- What stadium in Hong Kong would be suitable for THE CLAW?

Based on some internet research I've done, most concerts in Hong Kong by international artists are held at the World Asia Arena.

Hong Kong Stadium - 40,000 seater. Rarely used for concerts - I only recall Andy Lau playing here (bad, bad cantopop singer) but they are trying to attract concerts. Springsteen was rumoured to be playing but he cancelled. They use it pretty much exclusively for the annual Rugby 7's tournament.

hk_stadium420b.jpg

As for not being able to play China - Hong Kong (and Macau) have seperate visa systems to China - thus notable Tibet Freedom spokespeople - REM for example - have played Hong Kong.

All good -

working in Shanghai on some Expo shenanigans - thus I haven't had a huge amount of time to pop online.

As for U2 in Asia - I haven't seen any copies of 'Horizon' in Beijing or Shangers - but with the huge expat market in Hong Kong they would do very, very well if they played there.

oh nice man!

it's always comforting when you're around as you are a man in the know.

I wonder how the Claw would fit in Hong Kong stadium...The floor looks small. But yeah, would be interesting if they played there.

Hong Kong Stadium - 40,000 seater. Rarely used for concerts - I only recall Andy Lau playing here (bad, bad cantopop singer) but they are trying to attract concerts. Springsteen was rumoured to be playing but he cancelled. They use it pretty much exclusively for the annual Rugby 7's tournament.

hk_stadium420b.jpg

I read up on some info about this stadium on Wikipedia: Hong Kong Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to the article, people have always complained about the noise coming from the stadium. Therefore, "it has not been allowed to host entertainment events since 1999".

So I think U2 will have a rough time finding a venue if they are able to do a show in China/Hong Kong.

my brother mailed me a list of cities for U2 tour in Asia and South America in 2011, (still rumors)

February 2011

Osaka Osaka Dome
Osaka Osaka Dome
Tokyo Tokyo Dome
Tokyo Tokyo Dome
Tokyo Tokyo Dome
Seoul Olympic Stadium
Seoul Olympic Stadium

February 2011

Adelaide
AAMI Stadium
Sydney ANZ Stadium
Sydney ANZ Stadium
Melbourne AAMI Park
Melbourne AAMI Park
Christchurch AMI Stadium
Christchurch AMI Stadium
Wellington Westpac Stadium
Wellington Westpac Stadium

March 2011

Rio de Janeiro
Olímpico João Havelange
Rio de Janeiro Olímpico João Havelange
Salvador Octávio Mangabeira
Salvador Octávio Mangabeira
Santiago Estadio Nacional de Chile
Lima Estadio Nacional

April 2011

Monterrey
Estadio Universitario
Mexico City Estadio Azteca
Mexico City Estadio Azteca

^^ Decent information ^^

For me it's very strong rumours, but I wonder why Argentina's not included. And I thought the Estadio Nacional de Chile isn't going to hold anymore concerts (unless they're talking with the Chilean government).

Here's my version of the list above:

Osaka x1
Tokyo x2
Seoul x1
Adelaide x1
Sydney x2
Melbourne x2 (How about Etihad instead of AAMI Park?)
Christchurch x1
Wellington x1
Rio de Janiero x2
Salvador x1
Buenos Aires x2
Santiago x1
Lima x1
Monterrey x1
Mexico City x1/2 (Estadio Azteca 360 = 105,000)

I'll take it with a grain of salt, but there is alot of strong information out there.

I am so in for a southern hemisphere show or two. I missed out in '06 and have always wanted to see them down in South America and Mexico. I was in Mexico for a show in April and that was the most fun I've ever had. I can't even imagine how awesome a show in S.A. will be! :hyper: I hope rumours of any additional shows are true!!

I have serious doubts over these rumours. Why would U2 skip over Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires?

And what happened to Maracana and Docklands Stadium?

my brother mailed me a list of cities for U2 tour in Asia and South America in 2011, (still rumors)

No way are they playing four dates at big stadiums in Japan, they didn't even sell out the three gigs at the smaller Saitama Super Arena in Nov/Dec 2006.

Ever been to Seoul in February? Rather cold and snowy.

Christchurch ain't happening.

Salvador, Brazil? Somebody is dreaming.

Monterrey is doubtful. The Feb 2006 show there was a bomb, crowd was terrible. Though, U2 might want to redeem themselves there.

Why not Christchurch?
Got the best venue in New Zealand.
ami stadium is pretty sweet, but given their population compared to auckland, you'd think it'd be auckland, and wellington or christchurch, not wellington and christchurch. although auckland is short a decent venue, but mt smart is probably capable of the same crowds as wellington.

so to conclude, who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom