Ali thread 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
andyaliii.jpg

I think it's weird that Bono was rumored to have an affair with a woman who looks like a younger version of his wife.:eyebrow:

mystique said:
I think it's weird that Bono was rumored to have an affair with a woman who looks like a younger version of his wife.:eyebrow:

I think you should read the forum rules.

mystique said:

You mean the rumor that started b/c he kissed Andrea.....with Ali standing right next to them, laughing? :wink:

What's the song that comes on before U2 takes the stage? :scratch:

kassandra said:

What is this from?

Someone’s video of guests arriving at Caroline Corr’s wedding in Majorca August, 22nd, 2002.

I was there on vacation that day, but didn’t know about the wedding and missed them.:(

Ali's tears for her brave Anna

ALI HEWSON wept for joy yesterday as a little girl she's known since babyhood walked for the first time.

Born without legs, Anna Gabriel, 13, walked onto the stage where Ali was speaking at a conference.

Stunned Ali, wife of U2 frontman Bono and a Chernobyl rights campaigner, cried openly when she saw the youngster, usually confined to a wheelchair, walk up through the audience and onto the stage.

Ali, Anna's godmother, said: "Seeing her walk again was like seeing her being born again.

"I heard Anna's name being called and I had no idea.

"I couldn't understand who was walking in on the crutches and then I realised it was Anna."

The brave teenager received a standing ovation from the crowd gathered for the Chernobyl Children's Project (CCP) annual conference.

Anna, one of the first children to be adopted though the project, only received her prosthetic legs last week butwanted to walk through the conference as a special surprise for her godmother. Ali said: "I first met her in the Number One children's' home and even then I I knew how switched on she was at nine months because I had a little one pretty much the same age at the time.

"She would have been sent to an adult institution unless we were able to do something for her.

"It was bleak until Anna was brought home to Ireland.

"But seeing her walk was an amazing moment because the world has changed for her completely for the second time in her life.

"There have been tears shed today - and I reckon there will be a few more later on."

Anna was found by the CCP when she was nine months old.

She was born with badly deformed limbs which contained no bone and although her upper body grew, her legs didn't.

Anna became one of two test cases for a fledgling adoption agreement between Ireland and Belarus.

After a very stressful time her adoption was finally agreed and she became the daughter of Robert and Helen Gabriel from West Cork.

The plucky teenager has battled a number of health problems including hearing and speech difficulties.

But yesterday she strode proudly through the conference at the Heritage Hotel in Portlaoise, wearing her Cork jersey to make a powerful speech.

Anna said: "For the first time in my life I can see the colour of people's eyes, smell their perfume, make my own toast and in the shops I can see the top shelves.

"I never wanted to have my own legs amputated - they may be short and different but they are mine and got me around.

"And without them things would have been a lot worse.

"The reality is if I had been born with normal legs I would not be in Ireland today.

"So in a way I owe a lot to my legs and I am glad that I still have them.

"I now have 20 toes, four legs and 12 fingers so I guess I could get into the Guinness Book Of Records."

Proud dad Robert said Anna had been really excited about her surprise for Ali.

He said: "Anna got her new prosthetic legs last week but she has been practising to surprise Ali.

"She can only wear them for a few hours each day at the moment - it's like a pair of new shoes that are uncomfortable until you break them in.

"But she can get in and out of the car, go up and down steps, cross her legs and do everything that we can do.

"She's making great progress in little under a week."

Robert said Anna was delighted that her own legs didn't have to be amputated as was first thought.

He added: "It's great that she didn't have to get any major surgery or go through any unnecessary pain.

"She started in secondary school a week ago and I don't know about homework but she's determined to learn to walk - and run."

Robert said Anna was just like any other teenager.

"Her disability never affected her - Anna is very lively and always in great form - she has great ambition and great determination.

"She loves swimming, sport, and music big time - everything from U2 down!"

"There have been a lot of tears shed over the years to do with the Chernobyl Children's Project and the work they do and the sadness. But the tears today were for joy and happiness."

Anna also introduced 30 terminally ill children from the Belarus area who are receiving respite care in Ireland.

The project is preparing for the 20th anniversary of the disaster next April and is planning a massive convoy of aid.

Ali, who is patron of the charity, said: "The money that people have donated and the energy the Irish people have given to Belarus through the Chernobyl Children's Project has changed lives.

"Anna is a shining star - the one who can show that to everybody but there are many other children whose lives have changed through improved buildings to live in, better medication, general levels of care.

"The work the CCP does is only possible because of the commitment of everyone in Ireland."

"But so much more needs to be done - we need to build on the basis that has been set up and there is a large convoy going out for the 20th anniversary.

We lead a very simple lifesyle and flash cars and houses are not

ALI Hewson has given a rare insight into the secret world of being married to the world's biggest rock star.

The normally shy wife of U2 star Bono has spoken about how she leads a hugely ordinary life when the celebrity spotlight is not on her.

The couple, who met and fell in love at Mount Temple secondary school, are regarded as having one of the most solid marriages in show business.

And although she may live in a huge house in swanky Killiney, Ali has revealed how they enjoy the simple things in life.

The stunning mother-of-four said she even complained that things in Ireland were simply getting too expensive.

She said she was looking forward to Christmas in Ireland with her husband and kids but admitted the roar of the Celtic Tiger had taken its toll.

From Santa to eating properly, the millionaire said she still found rocketing prices hard to swallow.

The one thing of indulgence she has on her Christmas list is the red iPod nano.

She said: "We still have Santa in our family but it's all over- commercial now.

"We'll spend Christmas together. It'll be a simple family Christmas - my family and Bono's family. We're Irish - it's all about family, friends, big meals.

"I care about food. My children eat organic, though it's far too expensive."

Despite being able to afford any car in the world, Ali is still conscious of not being too flash and of doing her bit for the environment.

She said: "I'm buying a bike and we're talking about biodiesel cars - but then we do live in a big, old draughty house."

When rock star hubby Bono is on the road or rushing to begin another cause, the yummy mummy is left at home to care for her four children.

It gives her little time to think about how the wife of a rock star should dress - yet fashion designers across the globe love her understated style.

She said she had never particularly liked fashion and all the effort put into it but admitted: "The more I see of it the more I enjoy it."

She loves Irish designers but hates getting too dressed up.

"It's straightforward. I don't do frills, I don't do all the buttons and fancy stuff, but I do know what works," she said.

She is also still the driving force behind Edun, a clothes line that she hopes will pump money back into poorer countries.

The clothes are high-quality and stylish and come mostly from India, Africa and Latin America.

They are not cheap but the idea is to give as much money as possible back to the people who made them.

She said: "Bono was always saying that Africa wanted trade, not charity.

"This was a way of starting that, of proving that we could do business with Africa.

"How you spend your money says a lot about you. If we could get The planned tower has enraged locals Africa just one per cent more trade globally, it would bring in $70billion [E54bn] more in exports yearly.

"I want a level playing field. Everyone deserves a chance."

Ali still travels by commercial plane, shunning private jets. She jumps on the Heathrow Express like anyone else when in London.

She is still huge friends with Adi Roche, the brilliant Irish woman behind the Chernobyl Children's Charity.

Ali too has had her fair share of sticking up her two fingers to governments, to the embarrassment of her friend-to-the-politicians hubby. In 2002, she organised a campaign to shut down the Sellafield nuclear plant and helped arrange for 1.4 million postcards to be sent to British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Prince Charles and other dignitaries.

She avoids speaking about Bono's relationship with some of the world's most powerful men but did say: "He's so great and so supportive, he usually agrees with me anyway."

Friends of Ali say that, despite her being a full-time mum and a Trojan of a charity worker, she is always very cool under pressure.

One old friend said: "I've never seen a person to do so much and still have time to attend to every tiny detail of her four children's needs."

Although she doesn't go in for frills, jets or flash cars, she has a gripping loyalty to her family.

It was her simple calmness and understated beauty that first attracted cocky 17-year-old Paul Hewson - Bono - to her at Mount Temple Comprehensive. He said: "There was something so still about her and, to a person who is not still, it was the most attractive thing in the world."

Making a statement with T-shirts: EDUN executives to speak Jan. 10

Miami University will host two major players in the fashion industry's social consciousness movement. Ali Hewson, who helped found EDUN Apparel, Ltd., and Christian Kemp-Griffin, EDUN CEO, will visit campus January 10 to speak to the university community about their efforts to create sustainable economic opportunities in African nations.

(Media-Newswire.com) - Their presentation is at 4 p.m. in Miami's Hall Auditorium in Oxford, and is free and open to the public.

EDUN was founded in 2005 by Hewson, her husband, Bono, and designer Rogan Gregory, a 1995 Miami University graduate. The company's slogan is "Trade, not aid." They recently created edun LIVE, a line of blank T-shirts for merchandising purposes, made of African cotton and manufactured in Lesotho.

A team of Miami students has been heavily involved with edun LIVE. During fall semester 2006, the students, active in the Farmer School of Business's Center for Social Entrepreneurship, sold more than 1,500 T-shirts which were imprinted with the customers' logo or message.

To raise awareness of the project on campus, they printed and sold several hundred shirts bearing the team's promotional message, "I know who made my T-shirt. Do you?"

?Social consciousness has increased among students and young adults,? said Brett Smith, assistant professor in the Center for Social Entrepreneurship. ?The dramatic response to our project is evidence of this.?

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Ali's tears for her brave Anna

ALI HEWSON wept for joy yesterday as a little girl she's known since babyhood walked for the first time.

Born without legs, Anna Gabriel, 13, walked onto the stage where Ali was speaking at a conference.

Stunned Ali, wife of U2 frontman Bono and a Chernobyl rights campaigner, cried openly when she saw the youngster, usually confined to a wheelchair, walk up through the audience and onto the stage.

Ali, Anna's godmother, said: "Seeing her walk again was like seeing her being born again.

"I heard Anna's name being called and I had no idea.

"I couldn't understand who was walking in on the crutches and then I realised it was Anna."

The brave teenager received a standing ovation from the crowd gathered for the Chernobyl Children's Project (CCP) annual conference.

Anna, one of the first children to be adopted though the project, only received her prosthetic legs last week butwanted to walk through the conference as a special surprise for her godmother. Ali said: "I first met her in the Number One children's' home and even then I I knew how switched on she was at nine months because I had a little one pretty much the same age at the time.

"She would have been sent to an adult institution unless we were able to do something for her.

"It was bleak until Anna was brought home to Ireland.

"But seeing her walk was an amazing moment because the world has changed for her completely for the second time in her life.

"There have been tears shed today - and I reckon there will be a few more later on."

Anna was found by the CCP when she was nine months old.

She was born with badly deformed limbs which contained no bone and although her upper body grew, her legs didn't.

Anna became one of two test cases for a fledgling adoption agreement between Ireland and Belarus.

After a very stressful time her adoption was finally agreed and she became the daughter of Robert and Helen Gabriel from West Cork.

The plucky teenager has battled a number of health problems including hearing and speech difficulties.

But yesterday she strode proudly through the conference at the Heritage Hotel in Portlaoise, wearing her Cork jersey to make a powerful speech.

Anna said: "For the first time in my life I can see the colour of people's eyes, smell their perfume, make my own toast and in the shops I can see the top shelves.

"I never wanted to have my own legs amputated - they may be short and different but they are mine and got me around.

"And without them things would have been a lot worse.

"The reality is if I had been born with normal legs I would not be in Ireland today.

"So in a way I owe a lot to my legs and I am glad that I still have them.

"I now have 20 toes, four legs and 12 fingers so I guess I could get into the Guinness Book Of Records."

Proud dad Robert said Anna had been really excited about her surprise for Ali.

He said: "Anna got her new prosthetic legs last week but she has been practising to surprise Ali.

"She can only wear them for a few hours each day at the moment - it's like a pair of new shoes that are uncomfortable until you break them in.

"But she can get in and out of the car, go up and down steps, cross her legs and do everything that we can do.

"She's making great progress in little under a week."

Robert said Anna was delighted that her own legs didn't have to be amputated as was first thought.

He added: "It's great that she didn't have to get any major surgery or go through any unnecessary pain.

"She started in secondary school a week ago and I don't know about homework but she's determined to learn to walk - and run."

Robert said Anna was just like any other teenager.

"Her disability never affected her - Anna is very lively and always in great form - she has great ambition and great determination.

"She loves swimming, sport, and music big time - everything from U2 down!"

"There have been a lot of tears shed over the years to do with the Chernobyl Children's Project and the work they do and the sadness. But the tears today were for joy and happiness."

Anna also introduced 30 terminally ill children from the Belarus area who are receiving respite care in Ireland.

The project is preparing for the 20th anniversary of the disaster next April and is planning a massive convoy of aid.

Ali, who is patron of the charity, said: "The money that people have donated and the energy the Irish people have given to Belarus through the Chernobyl Children's Project has changed lives.

"Anna is a shining star - the one who can show that to everybody but there are many other children whose lives have changed through improved buildings to live in, better medication, general levels of care.

"The work the CCP does is only possible because of the commitment of everyone in Ireland."

"But so much more needs to be done - we need to build on the basis that has been set up and there is a large convoy going out for the 20th anniversary.

:love: Great articles Niamh!

love the articles. thanks flavia!

"The project is preparing for the 20th anniversary of the disaster next April and is planning a massive convoy of aid. "

does anyone know if there is a website with information regarding this event where people can offer to volunteer or help with supplies?

Galeongirl said:
that's because the 20th anniversary was this year.... Chernobyl was in april 1986... :)

Do you actually think that biff doesn't know when the Chernobyl tragedy occurred? You may not even have been born yet, but believe me, Galeongirl, the vast majority of us here know damn well when Chernobyl happened. :|

OH man! She is going to be at Miami of Ohio? I wish I didn't graduate about 5 years ago or I would be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom