album is finished? stadium tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Over in PLEBA forum, someone (met Bono, talked for 5 minutes with him) posted a description of the article from eastlink, and it basically says the band confirmed that the album will be out in this summer (2004), followed by a stadium tour in Europe.

:confused: What do you make of this news?

Oh please, please, please, please, please, please,please,please,please, please(you get the idea)let it be true:happy:

I was thinking next summer meant 2005, as I would call summer 2004 "this summer" (as summer 2003 would be "last summer" ). I hope I'm just trying not to get my hopes up...these rumors are killing me! :laugh:

A stadium tour would really blow.

I read a quote by Bono the other day that said U2 were done with outdoor tours, and the Slane concert was the last outdoor show for them. (other than the huge one in Ireland whenever the new CD comes out)

I also read that we would see the new album by now, so who the @%$# knows!

they'll almost have to do stadiums in australia...other wise the demand for tickets would mean about 9 shows in each city :)....which that is not gonna happen....

i remember reading that bono (i think) wanted to do stadiums next time round because so many fans missed out on the elevation tour,
and larry said something during zooropa leg of zoo tv "i dont think we'll get much bigger than this" and look what happend 4 years later!

we'll get mixed arenas /stadiums

Last edited:
Whenever did they say they were done with stadium tours? That has to be made up because it's absolute CRAP. The following parts of the world have massive U2 followings and would require stadiums;

- Central and South America
- Australia
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- Eastern Europe

They won't go to those locations unless they're playing stadiums, and they have to go to them because of the demand (or at least South America and Australia/NZ).

I'm still calling October as the release date, though I hope I'm wrong. Edit: Actually, I am wrong. I'm basing my predictions on that 25th anniversary book that I think will come out on the anniversary of U2:3 (the 25 years, duh), and I forgot it was released in September, not October. So change my prediction to September.

Last edited:
Innocent eyes: really? He said that? Interesting...I hope they won't stick with that.

Bonoman: didn't they say the next tour will be longer than Elevation because many fans missed out etc...?

Personally, I thought it was a shame they didn't play stadium shows in Europe and at least the biggest markets in US for the Elevation tour - I'm sure the album was popular enough for them to pull it off. Now who knows when they might have a huge hit like BD and a really succesful album again.

I remember the rumors about them not yet making the decision whether to go with arenas or stadiums...I guess that comes up whenever Willie Williams designs the show and then they choose. I hope they will use the Joshua tree and Zoo TV tours scenario and start with arenas, then if the demand is strong enough, go to stadiums.

U2girl ,
i acturly ment that bono said something like because so many fans missed out last time they were planning a stadium tour...he said that sometime last year....or so i read ;)

it wont make the tour any longer....if not elevation could have been shorter in stadiums....example : 4 arena's in Chicago could have easiley been 2 stadium shows.
having said that...elevation was right for arenas.

Maybe they'll play stadiums in the places where they need to, but in North America they'll play arenas. That'd make me hapy, aswell as other i think!! lol!

Axver, I didn't make it up about Bono saying they were done with Huge shows, but it was from an older interview, and like I said, we all know how things change with time! (don't worry, no offenser Axver, lol!!!!)

I am glad they will be going to Europe first....they can work out the tour format and by the time it comes to the US they will be in full stride.

When did Bono tell this fan this information? Recently? 4 months ago?

Didn't someone say there would be no tour this side of Christmas? It would be great to release the album this summer and jump into the stadiums in Europe in the late summer/fall. But I just don't see it happening. They'll most likely release the album this fall and start the tour in the spring in America. Traditional format. Releasing the album in the summer and going on tour immediately afterwards is not in U2's style.

Bono also wants to tour during the US elections...I guess though there is a big difference between wanting to do it and actually accomplishing it!

username said:
Oh yeah... well I justtalked to the Edge's cousin and he said...
:huh:

-user:wink:

You really shouldnt mock people as it usually will backfire on you!!!!angry:

By the his cousin is a female!!!

The_acrobat said:
When did Bono tell this fan this information? Recently? 4 months ago?

Well this was posted in PLEBA last week, March 6th - so I'm guessing it can't be very old news. They also said they're working over time in the studio as virtually no work was done during the winter holidays - and the article stresses all 4 of them confirmed a summer 2004 release.

I know! It's confusing, exactly because we also heard no tour this year, except a brief promotional tour in the winter. :shrug:

U2girl said:

Well this was posted in PLEBA last week, March 6th - so I'm guessing it can't be very old news. They also said they're working over time in the studio as virtually no work was done during the winter holidays - and the article stresses all 4 of them confirmed a summer 2004 release.

I know! It's confusing, exactly because we also heard no tour this year, except a brief promotional tour in the winter. :shrug:

Could you please post a link to this post... I would like to read the whole story, but I can't find it... :(

I don't know how to post links to threads :reject: and I think you need to be premium member for this but it's still on the first page of PLEBA, titled "translation of eastlink article".

innocent_eyes said:
Axver, I didn't make it up about Bono saying they were done with Huge shows, but it was from an older interview, and like I said, we all know how things change with time!

No, I didn't think you made it up, I hope you didn't take offense to that, I thought that the source was made up or misinterpreted something (like all those news reports giving the release date of Solar from the same rumour). As you say, things change with time, and we all know exactly what to take anything Bono says with ...

Last edited:
Not related to this or Edge's cousin thread on this page, but I remember reading about the album being finished somewhere else, outside of Interference, a few weeks ago...

Why does it suck if U2 plays stadium shows? Have those who are saying stadium shows suck ever seen U2 in a stadium? I have seen them at least 6 times in stadiums, and every one of them rocked. U2 and a huge crowd (with a great album and tour momentum) = one of the best shows you could ever possibly wish to see.

Seems that we won't be seeing U2 until 2005. BUT the tour will start in February and last for 18 months, well into 2006. Starting in arenas and moving to stadiums. This will be awesome. I am going to see them SO MANY TIMES!!!!! Sad thing is that when it's all over in mid 2006, that means it'll probably be fall of 2009 before we see the next album. But oh well. I'll just enjoy them while they're on tour.

This news all but guarantees the album will have a fall release.

Hmmm, interesting news, but none that is official....YET!! With regards to innocent_eyes, I've been in the heart, I've been 3 rows back, I've been at the very back of the stadium, I've been seated behind the stage and I have yet to see a bad show, or not feel the power of the music. It's all good no matter what venue the band plays.

Nothing beats the close contact with the band, seeing into their eyes :love: even getting a chance to touch them :hyper: Maybe this doesn't mean as much to a lot of people but it does to me. I saw UF, JT and AB shows from high up in the stands of arenas, then I was in GA in Elevation and it was one of the most exciting experiences of my life. I love all my concerts and the music is always great, but oh to be so close :)

Oh don't get me wrong, I love being close to any band I'm seeing, however I don't need to be right up close at U2 concert to feel and see their power and passion. U2 is a different kind of show, the feeling spreads throughout the show and envelops you in euphoria. Being close to the stage on enhances that experience, but it is not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom