Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ah, nice to see Cap'n Sisko, CK

:D Glad you liked.

I also love your bridge theory. Sounds exactly like the sort of thing Edge would be working on in his spare time... :lol:

I can do that with several non-existent albumids and get Nov 03, 0140

5zKXz.gif

The URL doesnt say 4 Nov 0139 anymore. It's 3 Nov 0140. :doh:

Yesterday it said Nov 4th. Plenty of people had screenshots on twitter and instagram. I wasn't the ONLY one posting it here.
th

Whether or not it says Nov 4 0139 or 0140 is irrelevant. It's nothing to do with the new album.

more meaningless than irrelevant, eventually there will be a new album, and eventually its details will fill that placeholder :wink:

I guess we're different. Math and physics are easy.

Zooropa challenged me. I didn't like much of that album for the first several months it was out. I had trouble listening to it all the way through. Some of it was sonically grating to me. But my immense respect for U2 caused me to stick with it and keep listening and looking to see what the band found in those songs. Months, years later, I now love that album. Did I find the magic the band found in those songs? Who knows? But that album challenged me as a listener - it wasn't music I could easily embrace. It opened up all sorts of new ideas on what a U2 record could sound like. To me, that's great music.

In different ways UF did the same, JT and definitely AB and Pop.

Their last 3 albums haven't even come close to doing that for me.

And deep down I suspect the band is afraid of putting out that sort of album anymore. They seem to be shooting for the "instant mega-hit" album that will be universally embraced by all (aka mainstream media and American commercial radio) My feeling is that's a recipe for mediocre music. Neutered music.

Many would argue that you don't actually like Zooropa, you just beat yourself into submission. That's not "challenging." That's musical Stockholm syndrome.

I recall a photoshoot done on top of a roof that everyone seemed to think was the cover/sleeve shoot at the time. Wonder what ever happened to that one? :hmm:

Is it just me, or is everyone that's even remotely associated with the band talking in circles now? It seems like one of the lads says something, and then everyone else repeats it. Like that old game of telephone. :lol:

Yes... because the album was more or less done, or close enough to done to start the media bandwagon up.

And then something changed.

Either the band got cold feet, or something else.

Everyone associated with the band, from producers to artists to tour crew, were gearing up for something late last fall. This is as close to fact as we can get. The band were doing photoshoots and making marketing moves that only made sense if a new album was imminent.

What happened since then that caused the plans to screech to a halt is the million dollar question.

What happened since then that caused the plans to screech to a halt is the million dollar question.

Depends on which conspiracy theory we want to beLIEve.

A) They lost the Oscar and Bono panicked. Wanted more relevancy, etc.

B) They have two albums worth of material and rather than do one at a time, are planning a double release to launch the next tour.

C) Something went awry in the camp and they had to delay everything due to needing to deal with a personal/family/etc situation.

D) Insert new theory here.

B) They have two albums worth of material and rather than do one at a time, are planning a double release to launch the next tour.

C) Something went awry in the camp and they had to delay everything due to needing to deal with a personal/family/etc situation.

I'm going to go with a little bit of A: I don't they're freaking out over the Oscar, but maybe not 100% comfy with the material that's been done.

For one I'd like to inject a little sanity to that: for the most part, listening to DangerMouse's production can be interesting at first, but gets stale, if not boring, the longer the album gets. After the Disco? Turn Blue? Both are fantastic, but there gets to be a point where his style gets old and it needs something to freshen it up a bit. For those albums, it's roughly at the halfway mark.

If they really are releasing two albums (cough cough), I can't imagine making it all the way through without getting bored if it's straight up DM. Maybe the additional production is needed to give it a little more lift.

D) Larry

The songs ain't comin/God ain't arriving/the "goin back to our roots" idea turned into shit.....in other words no one gives a shit about Kraftwerk.

Jesus H cchrist, do you guys seriously think an open line of buggy coding like most of U2.com is a sign of the new album? :crack:

Do you guys realise there's tons of these kind of placeholders, that just require someone with no life to type in the right URL so they can get to pages stupidly early? Our national finance throne talk thingy by the queen got leaked early for two years in a row because someone just changed the date in the old link. :bang:

Let me put this in the language of those who know nothing about coding and webpages:

IT MEANS NOTHING AT ALL. NO NEW ALBUM. NOTHING HAPPENS ON NOVEMBER 4th.

I mean... they knew they were going to lose the Oscar. Ordinary Love wasn't even written for the new album. It's been stated (whether or not it's bullshit or not) that the song caused them to slow down / stop work on the album.

So a bit more plausible/logical:

Things were going great, almost wrapped up, media storm ready to start sometime in the fall. Then this Ordinary Love opportunity comes around, and if you believe the band, they stop what they're doing on the album to write this one song for this one movie. They put the album on the backburner for a couple months.

Then they come back and revisit the album to finish it up, and since they're a few months removed from the work on the album, one or two or three or four of them decide that they can do better; other ideas pop in their head about how to make the songs more perfect, or simply to make new songs. I'm guessing with the first option -- make them more "perfect," i.e., more accessible.

So instead of just putting a bow on it, they revisit the songs late last year, said, well, we have new ideas, it's been a few months, let's keep working on it! But we'll still go through with Invisible as a single/Super Bowl ad.

Then, since they decide they have new ideas, they like Paul Epworth's version of Ordinary Love and said, "hey, why don't we let Paul Epworth take a crack at all these songs -- what can he do for them that Danger Mouse couldn't?" And then they record with him and Tedder.

And now they're working that out. It's got nothing to do with losing an Oscar that they knew they were going to lose, a double album, or anything. It's got to do with them not having to have any strict deadlines because they're U2 and because they want it to be nice and perfect.

I agree the delay has nothing to do with the Oscar, even nothing to do with OL....because I don't believe they wrote it specifically for the movie.....I call bullshit on that....it's just a tune they had laying around they gave to the movie...maybe Bono rewrote some lyrics? I dunno, but that tune was not started from scratch I can bet on it.

I agree the delay has nothing to do with the Oscar, even nothing to do with OL....because I don't believe they wrote it specifically for the movie.....I call bullshit on that....it's just a tune they had laying around they gave to the movie...maybe Bono rewrote some lyrics? I dunno, but that tune was not started from scratch I can bet on it.

yea -- again, not sure if I believe that part of it. but I do believe that they did stop working on the album to work on that one particular song. I highly doubt it was from scratch, though.

As I trust those who've told me that tour plans were truly gearing up... I believe they simply got to a point where they had to shit or get off the pot with some new, rawer material... and they got off the pot.

Ordinary Love not winning had absolutely nothing to do with it.

The band losing their sack? Yes.

I doubt they are at the stage of their career where they intend for songs to be on follow up albums or anything. They intended for all those supposed Songs of Ascent songs to be on No Line on the Horizon. Had they deemed them good enough, they would have been. I'm sure Every Breaking Wave is oodles better than Stand Up Comedy in whatever unfinished form it's in, but they didn't think so. Songs of Ascent was never a real thing in terms of U2; it was an idea that never came to fruition. They never intended for songs to go on it. They just write a lot of songs and pick the best ones and if it has a theme to it, cool. No Line started to have a theme but ultimately it really doesn't, and that's fine. I like plenty of the songs on it a lot.

:doh: I meant that OL was probably originally conceived during the time the band started thinking about the follow-up to NLOTH. (Which, forgive me, I seem to clearly recall Bono calling Songs of Ascent.) Songs like North Star, EBW, and probably an early version of OL would have made that album. Obviously it doesnt exist. But that doesn't mean that the band weren't working on it, writing for it, planning for it.

Theory D: Coldplay robbed u2 ' s whole plan. The band got afraid and pushed back their releasedate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Theory D: Coldplay robbed u2 ' s whole plan. The band got afraid and pushed back their releasedate.

This could be possible. Imagine having the band some people in the industry are calling
the "next U" sell more records than you and kick your arse on the charts when you both release albums at the same time? That would be the insult to injury to those in the band who want to keep on going and keep talking about being "relevant" or whatnot.

U2 has cheated "death" with their so-called relevance or popularity so many times, they must fear the reaper every time they release a new album. After NLOTH, there simply is no releasing an album for them with their supposed replacements nipping at their heels.

Or not. I could be wrong and the next album could be the best ever, the delays might have some deeper meaning behind them, and we could all be in for a sonic blowjob when this thing finally gets released.

In the meantime we just have to settle for the Ordinary reach-around :sexywink:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Coldplay has just released their Songs Of Ascent and even closed a "6 shows in 6 citys"! They definetly stole all u2 plans!

I mean... they knew they were going to lose the Oscar. Ordinary Love wasn't even written for the new album. It's been stated (whether or not it's bullshit or not) that the song caused them to slow down / stop work on the album.

So a bit more plausible/logical:

Things were going great, almost wrapped up, media storm ready to start sometime in the fall. Then this Ordinary Love opportunity comes around, and if you believe the band, they stop what they're doing on the album to write this one song for this one movie. They put the album on the backburner for a couple months.

Then they come back and revisit the album to finish it up, and since they're a few months removed from the work on the album, one or two or three or four of them decide that they can do better; other ideas pop in their head about how to make the songs more perfect, or simply to make new songs. I'm guessing with the first option -- make them more "perfect," i.e., more accessible.

So instead of just putting a bow on it, they revisit the songs late last year, said, well, we have new ideas, it's been a few months, let's keep working on it! But we'll still go through with Invisible as a single/Super Bowl ad.

Then, since they decide they have new ideas, they like Paul Epworth's version of Ordinary Love and said, "hey, why don't we let Paul Epworth take a crack at all these songs -- what can he do for them that Danger Mouse couldn't?" And then they record with him and Tedder.

And now they're working that out. It's got nothing to do with losing an Oscar that they knew they were going to lose, a double album, or anything. It's got to do with them not having to have any strict deadlines because they're U2 and because they want it to be nice and perfect.

Not a bad guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom