Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are we even talking about any possibility of the album being ready yet? :scratch: There has been absolutely zero evidence pointing towards that idea even vaguely...

What I'm wondering is why they are bothering with recording 30 or so tunes when we're only going to see 11. Do they just lock the rest away and keep them for themselves to listen to?

Imagine they only had one album from 2000-2004. Forget about romantic notions of an 'album' as an artistic statement unto itself (U2 don't really do that anymore) and take those roughly 30 ATYCLB/HTDAAB songs and find the best 11. This is what U2 have been about since POP - the best songs of the era. If that's what they want to do, then they're doing a smart thing.

The more songs you write, the better chance you'll find something special. There is no need for any more 'Side Two' filler from U2. That's basically what half of ATYCLB and half of HTDAAB is (frankly POP and NLOTH too). We can get all of that stuff in a Box Set or whatever later down the road. They want a lean 10-12 song album and in order to get the very best of that, you keep writing.

Granted, this assumes that instead of toiling on a song like Stand Up Comedy for months and trying to shine the turd, they'd just move on and try and brand new song. This seems, to me, to be what they're doing. Just continuing to try new stuff. If true, it's a great creative strategy - apart from actual content which, of course, nobody outside the band has heard.

And in addition to writing more material and not dwelling on any one song, then you have to sit with those songs for a long time to be able to figure out which ones are best. You have to figure out what you like about them, what works - what to tweak - just like they've talked about how songs change live - they want to capture those changes before the songs are out.

If this is indeed what U2 are doing, then they are doing a very smart thing (for them). Reading between the lines at the sparse comments they've thrown out here and there, I'm guessing this is what they're doing. And Brian Burton only helped them take things so far before they needed some fresher ideas.

Album in Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015...what does it really matter? All that matters is that it's worthy. I'd rather they not make any more song selection gaffes, choosing inferior songs over superior songs that were left on the shelves. That RARELY happened prior to ATYCLB and has happened with every album since. I'd rather they not include any more cringeworthy songs that they thought were great - but only in the months before the album was wrapped. We all know these songs...well, most of us. I'd rather they be able to sit with those songs for awhile and be able to know far better which of them stand the test of time.

Maybe this is hard for some to understand but it's very hard as a songwriter to be that close to the material and be able to easily tell these things. The easiest way to do it is to sit with them for a while. And in the meantime, just keep writing new stuff - the best ideas usually come quickly.

Imagine they only had one album from 2000-2004. Forget about romantic notions of an 'album' as an artistic statement unto itself (U2 don't really do that anymore) and take those roughly 30 ATYCLB/HTDAAB songs and find the best 11. This is what U2 have been about since POP - the best songs of the era. If that's what they want to do, then they're doing a smart thing.

The more songs you write, the better chance you'll find something special. There is no need for any more 'Side Two' filler from U2. That's basically what half of ATYCLB and half of HTDAAB is (frankly POP and NLOTH too). We can get all of that stuff in a Box Set or whatever later down the road. They want a lean 10-12 song album and in order to get the very best of that, you keep writing.

Granted, this assumes that instead of toiling on a song like Stand Up Comedy for months and trying to shine the turd, they'd just move on and try and brand new song. This seems, to me, to be what they're doing. Just continuing to try new stuff. If true, it's a great creative strategy - apart from actual content which, of course, nobody outside the band has heard.

And in addition to writing more material and not dwelling on any one song, then you have to sit with those songs for a long time to be able to figure out which ones are best. You have to figure out what you like about them, what works - what to tweak - just like they've talked about how songs change live - they want to capture those changes before the songs are out.

If this is indeed what U2 are doing, then they are doing a very smart thing (for them). Reading between the lines at the sparse comments they've thrown out here and there, I'm guessing this is what they're doing. And Brian Burton only helped them take things so far before they needed some fresher ideas.

Album in Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Fall 2015...what does it really matter? All that matters is that it's worthy. I'd rather they not make any more song selection gaffes, choosing inferior songs over superior songs that were left on the shelves. That RARELY happened prior to ATYCLB and has happened with every album since. I'd rather they not include any more cringeworthy songs that they thought were great - but only in the months before the album was wrapped. We all know these songs...well, most of us. I'd rather they be able to sit with those songs for awhile and be able to know far better which of them stand the test of time.

Maybe this is hard for some to understand but it's very hard as a songwriter to be that close to the material and be able to easily tell these things. The easiest way to do it is to sit with them for a while. And in the meantime, just keep writing new stuff - the best ideas usually come quickly.

this all makes a hell of a lot of sense. How dare you sir, logic has no place here

So basically we could get another POP out of all of this? :ohmy:

tumblr_ll6v36ffDp1qe0kbso1_250.gif

I really wonder if Ordinary Love pushed this thing back as they have claimed or if it was the perfect opportunity to place blame away from not being happy with the sole choice of Danger Mouse as the producer or the fact that they enjoy being in a part time band. I think they do realize though that songs like Invisible (which I believe was them trying to capture beautiful day 2) aren't going to generate a massive hit. It has to be something different from them. Not experimental but something fresh. Invisible was certainly not that.

BTW, off the record here, but i was in one of our city's newer entertainment districts and noticed several guys wearing Capri pants. Not to stereotype here, i mean there was probably a clown pussy or two, but also one or two guys who might have lined up on the football team or something like that.

So my question is, i guess, do guys wear capri pants now?

BTW, off the record here, but i was in one of our city's newer entertainment districts and noticed several guys wearing Capri pants. Not to stereotype here, i mean there was probably a clown pussy or two, but also one or two guys who might have lined up on the football team or something like that.

They were probably German tourists.

Imagine they only had one album from 2000-2004. and find the best 11.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Walk On
3. Stuck In A Moment
4. City Of Blinding Lights
5. Kite
6. Vertigo
7. In A Little While
8. Electrical Storm
9. Love And Peace
10. Original Of The Species
11. One Step Closer

I think Bono and Edge for the past 14 years fall in love with thier initial ideas even if they're crap and waste time trying to see them through....although the arguement can be made that BD was a vast improvement over Always, etc...
The songs I'm talking about are Boots, SUC, Crazy Tonight, Elevation, SYCMIOYO, etc...

I really wonder if Ordinary Love pushed this thing back as they have claimed or if it was the perfect opportunity to place blame away from not being happy with the sole choice of Danger Mouse as the producer or the fact that they enjoy being in a part time band. I think they do realize though that songs like Invisible (which I believe was them trying to capture beautiful day 2) aren't going to generate a massive hit. It has to be something different from them. Not experimental but something fresh. Invisible was certainly not that.

OL didn't push back anything. Now I do believe it may have killed their momentum, but that would have been recoverable.

Invisible is the freshest they've sounded in over a decade. The likelihood of U2 having another massive hit is small. Invisible was pretty big given the fact that they only promoted it twice and really only to US markets.

russpants.gif

If you look like that guy you can wear whatever you want. You can carry a purse as well.

Unfortunately, I think the odds are pretty low that we'll ever have a 99-100% consensus on every song on an album being good. The thought is nice though, in theory.

What's wrong with guys wearing capri pants? :uhoh: They do that here all the time in summer...

I doubt they'll be going back to the studio anytime soon. They've completed a couple of weeks in London (which may or may not have been fruitful), and the South of France beckons. Three months of studying pictures of Bono wondering if he's in "ship shape" to tour :lol: My guess is they'll be "back at it" in September. Chances of a Fall release no better than 50-50 imo.

I doubt they'll be going back to the studio anytime soon. They've completed a couple of weeks in London (which may or may not have been fruitful), and the South of France beckons. Three months of studying pictures of Bono wondering if he's in "ship shape" to tour :lol: My guess is they'll be "back at it" in September. Chances of a Fall release no better than 50-50 imo.

Adam's comment of hoping to finish it by the end of summer would seem to indicate them working on it DURING summer, yes?
Also, Edge did comment he wouldn't be having much of a summer holiday this year...

Though i would sort of disagree as i feel that PoP is their last great record. Of course, many in mainstream America would disagree with me, but i could honestly give a flying fuck.

POP was a great album. Minus Miami. And possibly Playboy.

That said, I want another POP. A great album full of fantastic cuts where the band had hit singles but wasn't actually trying to get "lots of hitz!".

Invisible is really close to that, and I think it's a good (great?) song that just gets better the more time passes. I like it more now than I did in January. And I was in love with it in January. :lol:

POP was certainly the last album where they were still brimming with the old U2 confidence.....until it was released and it wasn't the massive success they thought it would be and then started apoligizing for it like a dog with its tail between its legs.

Invisible is really close to that,

Oh, I disagree. Invisible definitely sounds like a band trying to get a hit to me. It just so happens that I think they did a pretty good job of it, so the end result is alright with me.

Though I should also say that I don't think U2 weren't actively trying to get hit songs on Pop, either. It's not like they decided to try out dance/techno/trip hop elements simply because they felt like it, without a care in the world to how it was received (because if that was the case, they wouldn't have developed such a frustrating complex over it when it wasn't received as well as they'd hoped, and we'd all be blessed with more Pop songs in the tours since). They thought that's where the music scene was headed, and they wanted in on the action.

That album was too far ahead of its time, that was the problem. They need to make that album now. Edge and his time machine.... :lol:

It was also pushed back and then they hurried to finish it rather than push it back a second (third?) time. So they were unhappy with themselves as well as the material. And they've second-guessed ever since.

That said, I want another POP. A great album full of fantastic cuts where the band had hit singles but wasn't actually trying to get "lots of hitz!".
I don't know what's more hilarious, POP being mentioned as an album with many "hit singles" (of course the name U2 alone did manage to shift a fair amount of copies within the fanbase) or the notion that the band wasn't actively striving for hit singles.
Actually, I changed my mind. It's not hilarious at all.

If you look like that guy you can wear whatever you want. You can carry a purse as well.

:lol:

What's wrong with guys wearing capri pants? :uhoh: They do that here all the time in summer...

Well i dont know that i said anything was wrong with it, just not used to seeing guys wear capri pants. Maybe im just old...but when its warm i wear shorts...when its not i wear jeans.

GG, where I am capris are distinctly feminine, most usually rocked by women over 50.

I think thats what i was getting at :wink:

They're very useful in case of a flood

:lol::sexywink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom