Album 13: Arguing/Punning/Meme-ing/Discussion thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely now that Bono has confirmed this song is on the album, that would make June the latest it could possibly come out, yeah? There are a few on here thinking the end of the year was looking likely.

Surely now that Bono has confirmed this song is on the album, that would make June the latest it could possibly come out, yeah? There are a few on here thinking the end of the year was looking likely.

I'd be pretty surprised if it were June. You never know I guess, but to me all the signs point to a Spring release.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

Lol when the first cynical theory doesn't work....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

First cynical theory? Oh wait, you're pretending that I said the song wouldn't be on the album?

Maybe the lead single version will be remastered?

Super cool, we are less than 10 days away! I figure tour in June, would seriously doubt they could wait any longer and you are not going to have a several month break between this announcement and an album and a tour, they need time to rehearse as well!

Well "sneak peak" most certainly does not mean "lead single."

It doesn't?

From a logical perspective, the first single is a sneak peak of the new album. It's usually the first thing you hear from the album, released before the album is released. So it gives an idea of the album before it's even released. So if we're speaking terminology it could very well mean that.

I'm not saying it is. I'm saying it could be.

Well "sneak peak" most certainly does not mean "lead single."

Technically, if Invisible is released as a single (as it will be), and it is off the new album (as it is), it is, by definition, the album's lead single. Unless Ordinary Love is on the album, in which case that is debatable, because it's debatable whether OL was released as a single.

That said, the "sneak peak" language doesn't rule out the possibility that a "real" lead single, one behind which will follow the major promotional push for the album, is to follow after the release of Invisible. Alternatively, this could be a Violet Hill/Viva la Vida situation, where Invisible is indeed the real lead single, but the real publicity campaign follows the release of the second single. That's a really speculative idea, though, and only based on the mid-tempo nature of Invisible.

Why aren't people more outraged about the RED campaign spending $8 million on a Super Bowl ad?

But did it really need to cost $8 million?

I don't know if it's ever been firmly established what this is going to cost. All we have is the knowledge that for the general big corporation who wants to shill their product during the Super Bowl, it costs $4 million for about 30 seconds of ad time. I would be very surprised that whoever is controlling this stuff is demanding $8 million of the group of players involved in U2's commercial here, given that it's for a charity. And, it's happening before the game starts, which I think may play a role in lessening the hit so to speak, of the network giving it to them for much cheaper. I have no facts on this tho, but just a hunch.

Finally, some common sense. This post should be made a sticky and used as reference for anyone who is searching for some answers

That's rather dismissive of the many other great posts that people have written so far that basically say many of the same things, don't you think?

How do you know what invisible sounds like?

Don't you remember? Some are able to gauge how good U2's music is based on the song titles alone! :cute: :wink:

How generous of U2 to help BoA disguise its cancerous self as something more benign.

Is there anything that better illustrates how out of touch with reality one is than shilling for a bank? And not just any bank!

But BoA is giving money to Africa, some will say. U2 and BoA are doing good!

The marketing campaign is already a success, and obscured that they announced more layoffs yesterday to go along with the 25,000 of 2013. I guess those salaries are going to Africa.

Granted that I don't know anything 100% - it isn't necessary to claim the track is the lead single now, they could always do it officially later, but of course there could be a third track which is thought to become that. What I believe anyway, given the Tonight Show appearance, is that we'll have months full of news, bits and songs. We're approaching to the main thing, and from the Super Bowl on, time will pass quickly with us having new material (even if just a bone, that is).

Why are people so upset that Bono called Invisible just a sneak peak of the new album? If anything, that means we may have another song that is used to market the new album more directly in the spring. And I think we can presume (and hope) that OL is not on the album.

PS: A Zootopia moderator posted days ago about saving money for a upcoming tour, and someone asked about the album date being said / released on Fallon, and she said that wasn't gonna happen

Ok but to be fair Zootopia mods aren't all that connected to band management if even at all. Unless it has changed back in the day I think anyone could volunteer to be one. I'm not saying that they don't know some things that the general public don't, but for this mod to know that level of detail ie, what exactly the band is / isn't going to say on a show 3 weeks from now? Um, no.

Why are people so upset that Bono called Invisible just a sneak peak of the new album? If anything, that means we may have another song that is used to market the new album more directly in the spring. And I think we can presume (and hope) that OL is not on the album.

Who's upset? :huh:

So an $8 million dollar advertisement, with max $2 million dollar to fight AIDS/HIV? Besides the fact that this is disproportional imo, it is also 'cause branding' and I just don't like it! Why not giving $10 million with a press release? Than you show your corporate social responsibility! Actually it's cause-branding not only by BoA, but also by U2!! It's not that U2 is making a company to give money to the good cause, It's U2 trying to get great buzz and 'selling' their product to a worldwide audience! Apart from possible arguments you can have against artistst cooperating with big sponsors/companies (see also their previous statement about using 'streets' in a car advertisment), you could see this as BoA/U2 using diseases as a marketing vehicle!
I am sure they were/are of good intentions, but his all feels so unbelievable wrong to me!!

Apart from this, I ahve many things against the whole (RED) thing. Many years ago, Mark Rosenman wrote about it:
The Patina of Philanthropy | Stanford Social Innovation Review

My theory on the matter: the album will be released in June and, since 4 months is too long before an album to release its lead single, we'll get the true lead single in April, while Invisible will also appear on the album.

Last edited:
No, it's 10 million and it's matched by the Gates Foundation and SAP. Bono said so in his interview. What's so hard to understand? Bono is trying to make a deal where everyone involved can profit. He's not naive, he understands corporations like the Bank of America easily use this for an image boost.

And yes, technically "Invisible" is the lead single for me. It will have a full video that will be unveiled very soon. Maybe there will be a second single afterwards, but I'm not so sure. The album may be released earlier than June.

9 days...

Bono_in_a_cart.png

This is a very good point, btw. When has U2, not Bono, ever gone on a talk show to promote one of their social causes, and not their career?

Exactly. Fallon = album/tour news. They have no other logistical reason for being the MUSICAL guests. They're not there to pump OL for the Oscars, if they were going to run the talk show gauntlet for OL, we'd have seen it back in Dec after OL came out. This appearance is about Invisible, about the album, and about gearing up to go on the road. :yes:

even for U2, it would be a huge waste of the national spotlight just to promote one song. on the other hand, it is a great place to for them to launch a new album.

You mean global spotlight, right? The Super Bowl may be an American event, but it is watched globally. Hence the multi-million dollar ad spots. Especially in the land of the DVR and internet streaming. So Invisible is not just premiering to the US, it's launching to the WORLD. If that doesn't scream album, nothing else does.

I'm enjoying this drip feed news thing....:drool:

:up:

They're teasing us. And it's delicious. :drool:

Now let's hope Bono gives us even more good news today. Being in that Switzerland air is good for him. :wink:

The Super Bowl will come and go, and we'll all get Invisible. 50% of the people on here will hate the song, and most people will hate the video/commercial. After we all have "Invisible", we'll go back to radio silence from the band, and no information.

Jimmy Fallon will come. The band will play Invisible and maybe Ordinary Love or something like Vertigo or I will follow. Bono will talk about the causes. There may be a skit involved. The band will dodge or otherwise give non-answers about the new album.

The Oscars will come, U2 will win in March. During interviews, they will say they're really excited about the album, it's "ongoing", etc.

Shortly after the Oscars, we'll finally get a confirmation and single in April, with the album being released in June.

I believe that the plan was originally to release the album this fall. That got scrapped because of the Mandela movie / laziness. Then, their next plan was to announce the album during the Super Bowl commercial. Then, the Oscars/Golden Globes bullshit started happening, and they didn't want the new album to be overshadowed by all that crap. So they pushed it back again, but couldn't get out of their Super Bowl duties. I seriously doubt that at this point U2 are still holed up in the studio working on the album. It's done and has been done, and they are just following a "scheschule".

I believe that the plan was originally to release the album this fall. That got scrapped because of the Mandela movie / laziness. Then, their next plan was to announce the album during the Super Bowl commercial. Then, the Oscars/Golden Globes bullshit started happening, and they didn't want the new album to be overshadowed by all that crap. So they pushed it back again, but couldn't get out of their Super Bowl duties. I seriously doubt that at this point U2 are still holed up in the studio working on the album. It's done and has been done, and they are just following a "scheschule".

Overshadowed?? CRAP? Um, how about no. If anything, this is more fuel for the album fire. The more they're out there, in the spotlight, the closer we get. I said earlier, that the whole band doesn't need to do the "award shows" for OL. It could easily have been B & E. But it wasn't. And anyone who doesn't see that is lying to themselves. Adam and Larry being out there, being front and center, that means something. As an Adam girl, I treasure it. Because we see so very much of Bono, and of Edge too. We don't get nearly enough of the others. Seeing them gives me reason to believe that it's happening.

If it was only Bono on Fallon, then I'd worry. But they're the freakin' musical guests. Bono finally said something about the SB ad yesterday at Davos, and it's great news. Yeah, so what about the corporate clowns. Either way we are getting NEW MUSIC. For free. FREE.

This is only the start. And I'm ready for the push. I'm ready for what's next. :yes:

You're acting like these decisions are yet to be made. The band learned their lesson before about putting plans into motion before the album was actually done. The fact that the hype machine has started is a good indicator that the tracklisting has been finalized, the first single selected, etc.

It's Occam's Razor. The most obvious answer is that U2 is using this major publicity opportunity to introduce the world to their new album, and (perhaps) their new sound. Not to create some misdirection just so they can raise a bunch of money for AIDS research.

Maybe you're just trolling because you're bored, I don't know. But I'd suggest more thinky, less typey.

Lol, they're not flipping a coin here. Without any information, it's not 50/50. It's unknown. If we want to talk about how many people on Interference believe Invisible to be the first single vs. the handful of obstinate buffoons who are imagining some complicated release plan, it's more like 95/5.

You're excercising quite a bit of hypocrisy, wouldn't you say? On one hand you are saying that the poster is basing his 50/50 claim (whether 'Invisible' is on the new album) on "no information", while you are touting off that there's a 95/10 chance that it will be -- with, you gussed it, NO INFORMATION as well!! Wow, hypocrisy at its finest. Let's be honest. Everyone is guessing at this point. If it turns out that your guess is the correct guess, it doesn't negate the fact that you also have no information just like the rest of us, so why use that in your argument?? Funny.

So an $8 million dollar advertisement, with max $2 million dollar to fight AIDS/HIV? Besides the fact that this is disproportional imo, it is also 'cause branding' and I just don't like it! Why not giving $10 million with a press release? Than you show your corporate social responsibility! Actually it's cause-branding not only by BoA, but also by U2!! It's not that U2 is making a company to give money to the good cause, It's U2 trying to get great buzz and 'selling' their product to a worldwide audience! Apart from possible arguments you can have against artistst cooperating with big sponsors/companies (see also their previous statement about using 'streets' in a car advertisment), you could see this as BoA/U2 using diseases as a marketing vehicle!
I am sure they were/are of good intentions, but his all feels so unbelievable wrong to me!!

Apart from this, I ahve many things against the whole (RED) thing. Many years ago, Mark Rosenman wrote about it:
The Patina of Philanthropy | Stanford Social Innovation Review

I agree with Mark Rosenman's assessment that RED is used by corporations for marketing/tax deduction/helping out their image/whatever reasons, but I honestly believe that Bono is using this knowledge to his advantage. He has no stake in BOA or Apple, he is trying to make a difference in Africa. And if he can get these corporations to help out, that's great. It should be a win-win for everyone.

The Super Bowl will come and go, and we'll all get Invisible. 50% of the people on here will hate the song, and most people will hate the video/commercial. After we all have "Invisible", we'll go back to radio silence from the band, and no information.

Jimmy Fallon will come. The band will play Invisible and maybe Ordinary Love or something like Vertigo or I will follow. Bono will talk about the causes. There may be a skit involved. The band will dodge or otherwise give non-answers about the new album.

The Oscars will come, U2 will win in March. During interviews, they will say they're really excited about the album, it's "ongoing", etc.

Shortly after the Oscars, we'll finally get a confirmation and single in April, with the album being released in June.

Wow. This is just about the most rational, realistic appraisal of the situation I've read in this thread...and I think you're pretty much spot on.

It's the only appraisal I've read the assumes U2 will act pretty much as you'd expect them to, without conspiracy theories, baseless speculation and over reliance on Twitter.

Well done. :up:

Sent from my Nexus 5.

While I'd say I'm about 80% sure that the album will be out in April and that "Invisible" is the true lead single, if June ends up being the month I would say the scenario you painted is pretty accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom