After a year...what do you think about NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
By this definition any song with delay, lyrics about love, and big choruses would all sound the same. Which would mean 60% of U2 songs would sound the same.

The lyrics, Bono's delivery, the scratchy guitar in the verses followed by big riffs in the chorus - plenty of things to make one think of Vertigo.

The lyrics? Why because they both seem very playful on the surface? OK you just described the majority of REM songs.

Big riffs? OK, do you know how many songs you just described there?

The only thing that I can see as similar is the quick delivery of lyrics by Bono. And the scraping guitar during the verses. But do you know why?

Because it's fairly new for U2. If this was PJ quick delivery and big riffs wouldn't make all their songs sound the same.

If this was REM not all playful lyrics would make the songs sound the same.

Some of you need to step out of the world of U2 and listen to other bands sometime.

Er, you do realise how often U2 is accused of sounding the same ?

Stop assuming we don't know any non-U2 bands.

Er, that's kinda my point. If you're going to argue those TWO songs are the same based on that lazy formula then apply it to everything else and you will be one of those that think all U2 songs are the same.

I'm not assuming anything about any kind of collective "we", I just think some in here forget to apply the same critical ear to all music and they pick and choose.

Yes, and I correct people on that too. The only band I still accuse of songs sounding the same is Green Day, because they actually do reuse chord progressions of their older songs.

And what would it matter if the 'mainstream crowd' claims it all sounds the same? Most 'mainstream crowd' people haven't a clue about music and their opinion means pretty much nothing to me.

BVS...Not really your point, you said songs with delay, big choruses and lyrics about love sound the same. Not the discussed issue but okay. edit: though it would not take up more than a few words to sum up a vast percent of U2's catalogue, yes.

Boots-Vertigo comparison is valid, and it keeps appearing. It's probably due to those three similarities: vocals, guitar and lyrics.

Assuming what interferencers know about non U2 bands is irrelevant to this in the first place.

i'll say this of the two songs

they do have a similar style verse with the guitar scratching and bono's scat-singing. is it lazy to connotate the two solely on this? probably/possibly. but as the first single of the album, which tells the world (read:mainstream listeners/casual fans/ NON fans) we're back, this is our new song - most of the world are going to be lazy and draw that comparison.

I love both Boots and Vertigo, I definitely think of them as two different songs with not much in the way of similarities, but I can also see how people can see them being similar.

Er, that's kinda my point. If you're going to argue those TWO songs are the same based on that lazy formula then apply it to everything else and you will be one of those that think all U2 songs are the same.

I'm not assuming anything about any kind of collective "we", I just think some in here forget to apply the same critical ear to all music and they pick and choose.

Stop being so childishly condescending and learn to acknowledge the fact that music is subjective to the extent that some songs may remind people of other songs because of various reasons, that are first and foremost personal and function on an emotional basis, that has nothing to do with music theory or the variety of music that someone listens to. For example, I completely disagree with your generalization that most of REM's lyrics are "playful on the surface", but I certainly won't spend hours and hours on an Internet board trying to prove you "wrong". Because it doesn't work that way. Grow up already.

And yeah, I can see where the Boots/Vertigo comparisons are coming from. Sue me.

u2girl, the only reason the invalid GOYB/Vertigo comparison keeps appearing is because you continue to bring it up. that is why i continue to correct you because i don't want other U2 fans who are easily swayed to assume that you're correct.

BVS...Not really your point, you said songs with delay, big choruses and lyrics about love sound the same. Not the discussed issue but okay. edit: though it would not take up more than a few words to sum up a vast percent of U2's catalogue, yes.

Go back and read my post again, you missed my point. My point was that songs with delay, big choruses, and lyrics about love would all sound the same if we applied YOUR formula to them. I was showing you the formula is lazy.

i've been called a "Love Doctor" before. does that count?

Probably not, but this is Interference. I'm sure you'll find folks here turned on by that kinky shit immediately. :D

Stop being so childishly condescending and learn to acknowledge the fact that music is subjective to the extent that some songs may remind people of other songs because of various reasons, that are first and foremost personal and function on an emotional basis, that has nothing to do with music theory or the variety of music that someone listens to.

But it's adult like to do this? Come on pal, there is nothing mature about your post.

She made a statement like this:
Vertigo is everything Boots tried to be.
and then tried later to base it on "theory" and objective aspects, not emotion or personal reasons.

So let's gain a little perspective before you get personal.

For example, I completely disagree with your generalization that most of REM's lyrics are "playful on the surface", but I certainly won't spend hours and hours on an Internet board trying to prove you "wrong".

Sloppy generalizations? I wonder why I made such a glaringly easy to disprove generalization, maybe to prove a point?

Thank you.

Come on people, chill out. If someone thinks Boots sounds like Vertigo, so what, that's their opinion. If someone thinks they don't, great. Again, opinion. To each their own. But stating opinions as facts and then arguing about them is pretty pointless don't you think?

Arriving late to this debate.

I'll just say i like GOYB more than Vertigo. Would probably like it more if it didn't remind me so much of Vertigo. That's right. Explanation? Adam's bass seems to mirror what Edge is playing in both songs, Bono tries a one-note pseudo rap singing approach on both songs, both songs have a glamrock, trashy sound to them. Do other songs by U2 sound similar. Sure. It probably just sticks out to people more because of the actual songwriting quality of the songs themeselves. It seems its split pretty much down the middle between liking the 2 songs. Half like Vertigo, half dislike it. Half like Boots, half dislike it. IMO, they should steer clear of these types of songs, the results range from mediocre (GOYB) to abysmal (Vertigo).

A lot of songs on AB sound similar, yet i love them all. See? I can see it both ways.

In the same way that people think The First Time might sound like other softer U2 songs, people will think Boots sounds like Vertigo. Did the comparison and familiarity help GOYB as a single? I vote no. Especially since they were both the lead singles.

But it's adult like to do this? Come on pal, there is nothing mature about your post.

She made a statement like this:
and then tried later to base it on "theory" and objective aspects, not emotion or personal reasons.

So let's gain a little perspective before you get personal.

Sloppy generalizations? I wonder why I made such a glaringly easy to disprove generalization, maybe to prove a point?

Thank you.

Ah... Just as things started to lighten up, here we go again.

Forget it pal. We could do this for an hour, like you like to do all the time on this forum with all those people who try to have with you an honest discussion, without being so obviously condescending and rude. You attack people constantly on a personal basis, and as soon as someone responds with an equally rude response, there you go being all drama queen.

I'm aware of U2girl's posts being somewhat too "objective-sounding", but in the end, she is describing something that she feels. And this being an Internet forum, about hundred of misunderstandings and misinterpretations, due to trying to describe something subjective in an objective way, will appear along the way.

Just think of this, just how many opinions have you changed in the million times you have posted here, trying to prove somebody "wrong"? One, two?

Over and out.

(no need to answer that last one, that was a rethorical question)

i'll say this of the two songs

they do have a similar style verse with the guitar scratching and bono's scat-singing. is it lazy to connotate the two solely on this? probably/possibly. but as the first single of the album, which tells the world (read:mainstream listeners/casual fans/ NON fans) we're back, this is our new song - most of the world are going to be lazy and draw that comparison.

I love both Boots and Vertigo, I definitely think of them as two different songs with not much in the way of similarities, but I can also see how people can see them being similar.

Yeah this is where I'm at. The comparison is lazy, but a lazy comparison is definitely not the same thing as a nonsensical one (e.g. Elevation and With or Without You sound very similar).

Plus, in the verses, Bono's singing in a similarly fay voice and Adam's playing the main riff as the musical grounding. The latter similarity alone justifies the comparison.

I heard Vertigo went to a party and saw GOYB standing near the keg then decided to just leave. :wink:

I just want to chime in that GOYB is a more difficult song to play on bass. Very fast song. Larry, Edge, & Adam all seem to be on their A game for Boots. I enjoy both songs live though. :up:

i like to read the discussion and opinions about the rumble in the jungle which nowadays is known as VERTIGO vs GET ON YOUR BOOTS.
in my opinion GET ON YOUR BOOTS is knocking out VERTIGO in the first round.

Both sides of the argument are 100% correct. The two songs are dramatically different, beyond compare in almost every single way. But if you fail to see why the two are so often linked - or at least fail to recognise that this happens (or happened) quite a lot, enough, IMO, to explain at least a small part of Boots' failure - then you are missing the bigger picture. Linking Boots to Vertigo is lazy, and the link is highly superficial/simplistic/small, but what we're really talking about some dude paying 5% attention as he catches it on the radio on the way to work. Simplistic chunky guitar riff, scattered vocal delivery of a very vaguely similar lyrical content, that - yes, wrongly - would be enough for 5% dude to think "sounds a bit like their last single". Especially when you consider that the new U2 lead single is generally dramatically different from the last new U2 lead single, to a point of being absolutely, lazy or otherwise, completely and totally beyond compare in any way.

So yeah - I also disagree with it, but totally get it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom