Acrobat , Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickFly

Refugee
i know that this has been raised time and time again but please for the love of God, play a full-band version of "Acrobat" on the next tour. the lyrics in my mind are some of bono's best. the edge cuts loose, great great song.

yes, it would be great, they have to do it some time! c'mon!

oh Larry's drums on that song live would sound brilliant!!!!

Yes, I would die of joy if this happened.

Somebody should steal Bono's sunglasses and tell them he'll only get them back if they promise to play Acrobat. :wink:

Axver said:
Yes, I would die of joy if this happened.

Somebody should steal Bono's sunglasses and tell them he'll only get them back if they promise to play Acrobat. :wink:

That can be arranged :evil:

does anyone here really think U2 will do this on the next tour? Personally I do, it just seems like the right time, the right time to do unexpected things..I can FEEEEEEEEEEL it!!!

Acrobat? Maybe. I'd love to see it played live. I'd say though, what with JT being remastered and rereleased and all, that next tour we are more likely to see RHMT and Heartland - but either way, I'd probably spontaneously combust like the Edge playing punk rock from Venus in Fez if it happened.

Wasnt there an article on U2.com a while ago with Willie and he stated that he fully believed U2 would play Acrobat live on day?

I think they will actually.

sweetie said:
Just imagine the audience upon hearing those opening notes:dancing:
I went a little mental when I heard WGRYWH this past tour - I can't imagine my reaction with Acrobat

Hmmm, I think the die-hard fans would go mental but casual fans (which is a large part of any U2 concert audience) wouldn't have much of a reaction based on the opening notes.

Think The Electric Co. during the Vertigo Tour.

BonoManiac said:
Hmmm, I think the die-hard fans would go mental but casual fans (which is a large part of any U2 concert audience) wouldn't have much of a reaction based on the opening notes.

Think The Electric Co. during the Vertigo Tour.

Think The Electric Co.? Yeah, that rocked the house down and everyone got into it, it was the highlight of the night, just like I expect they would with Acrobat.

I'm sick of these insinuations made about casual fans. I'm not targeting this rant specifically at you, as plenty of people here have said what you posted time and time again. Casual fans don't just listen to WOWY and One and Vertigo, and I wish people here would stop acting like they'd stand around going "what is this shit? Where's Beautiful Day?" I know plenty of casual fans who've been to U2 gigs, some of whom I've taken myself, and some of their favourite songs at these gigs have been An Cat Dubh, Party Girl, One Tree Hill, Kite, and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (which has about Acrobat's status in the general consciousness, really). I know someone who wouldn't know Boy from HTDAAB who was surprised U2 didn't play Silver And Gold! So let's just stop with the argument that "if U2 played Acrobat, a minority of the crowd would be loving it and most of the rest would be lifeless".

I´m suddenly feeling nostalgic. The Acrobat campaign happens before every tour and everytime it doesn´t happen.

Such a shame.

But, hope dies last. :wink:

i do think that if they play it they will change the instrumentation up a little bit. next tour u2 needs to cater to the die hards. i love how they brought back "one tree hill" on the last leg of the vertigo tour.

it seems to me U2 doesn't tend to play songs live when they feel the song just doesn't sound right in the live setting

it's not impossible they'll play Acrobat at some point
but I guess they haven't yet because when they tried it sounded crappy

What Acrobat might have sounded like if they ever got round to sorting it out:

w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=j72hKtkWqBc

( Yeah, i know u2 would do it totally differently......and the singer completely ruins the song.....but it is at least a version of the song)

sick puppy said:
What Acrobat might have sounded like if they ever got round to sorting it out:

w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=j72hKtkWqBc

( Yeah, i know u2 would do it totally differently......and the singer completely ruins the song.....but it is at least a version of the song)

hahahahaha, wow that is something else, that performance cracks me up in certain parts (yeah that singer...ummm...)

Didn't they avoid RHMT in the first place because Bono couldn't sing it well for the JT tour? And if he couldn't handle it in 87-88, it doesn't look too good for 08, right?

And Heartland is pretty high as well. Man, I love that song.

ahittle said:
Didn't they avoid RHMT in the first place because Bono couldn't sing it well for the JT tour? And if he couldn't handle it in 87-88, it doesn't look too good for 08, right?

And Heartland is pretty high as well. Man, I love that song.

well judging from recent performances of Bono I wouldn't be surprised at all if they played it....

And I don't think it was specifically Bono in 87-88...i think it was more that it just didn't sound quite right live as a band, just like Acrobat (obviously they had to of realized at some point that it didn't sound good enough live) and most of the other songs yet to be performed live

BonoManiac said:

Correct, and I think that's the reason why Acrobat will never be performed live. It would be embarrassing for the band if lots of their 'fans' wouldn't recognise the song, or else could be seen heading for the bars / toilets etc (especially there happened to be a camera crew there).

Don't get me wrong, I love the song, and I see no reason why it couldn't be performed live. From the band's perspective, I just don't see why they'd ever want to. Their idea of a rarity seems to be different from the fanbase's.

Acrobat was rehearsed as an opener acoustically for ZooTV outside broadcast! I could never quite understand how they thought it would EVER work in that way! To me it's a perfect companion to Love is Blindness and should have been played in the same order as the songs on AB. WOWY, Ultraviolet, Acrobat, Love Is Blindness. The best closing ever IMO. Dark and brooding!

Bono's voice cannot handle it live. He's much worse now than he was in Zoo Tv and he couldn't even handle it then. It's not going to happen. [Unless you want a crap version everyone would make fun of.] End of story.

Back
Top Bottom