Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. So any amount of region-encoding-hacking on North American DVD players is useless. The true test will be when those players that 'always play PAL discs' really play PAL DISCS.

Yep. At the end of the day it will just depend on whether your individual DVD player plays PAL discs.

Though I'm not sure how much of an issue it really is...MOST people who are buying this set surely already have the Sydney DVD.

isn't the issue related to the framesize difference between NTSC and PAL and the capabilities of a DVD player to play either one

480 lines for NTSC
525 lines typical for PAL?

Yep. So any amount of region-encoding-hacking on North American DVD players is useless. The true test will be when those players that 'always play PAL discs' really play PAL DISCS.

This has already been covered ad nauseum, but region hacking is not necessarily useless.

Before I hacked my Philips player, it wouldn't play any PAL DVD, including Region 0 PAL discs. After I hacked it to be an all-region player, it played PAL discs from any region and converted the output to NTSC.

I'm pretty sure that Philips markets essentially the same DVD player in different regions, but that certain features in the firmware are only enabled with particular region settings.

Hey can anyone with the Super Deluxe or Uber tell me if Zooropa is actually tweaked? People are saying it's louder etc.

I have downloaded the flac of Zooropa from the Deluxe and honestly it still doesn't sound as good as my original, well i shouldn't say that, but less bass frequency and about the same volume.

Can anyone confirm if this is the "tweak" or is it just the flac i managed to download? I have the 2CD deluxe on it's way because i can't afford anything more, but if Zooropa is actually tweaked i'd love to hear it.

If it's a genuine FLAC (and not re-encoded from an MP3) it will sound exactly like the CD. If you downloaded the FLAC copy that's floating around out there (including on TPB) it's been confirmed that's a genuine FLAC.

In any event, based on my own listening I'd say Zooropa has indeed been subtly "tweaked", but like AB, the changes are substantially more minimal than on the previous reissues...your mileage may vary depending on how good your ears are.

If it's a genuine FLAC (and not re-encoded from an MP3) it will sound exactly like the CD. If you downloaded the FLAC copy that's floating around out there (including on TPB) it's been confirmed that's a genuine FLAC.

In any event, based on my own listening I'd say Zooropa has indeed been subtly "tweaked", but like AB, the changes are substantially more minimal than on the previous reissues...your mileage may vary depending on how good your ears are.

Okay thanks. I have extremely good ears, and am currently studying music production/engineering. I guess i'm preferring the 1993 version of Zooropa over this tweaked 2011 version.

Haven't listened to Zooropa yet, but I'd agree that Achtung Baby has been "tweaked". In a very subtle way, but I can hear the difference.

No, a Blu-Ray player is not a DVD player. It plays DVDs, but is a different machine....

A Blu-Ray Player is a DVD player as well. A PS3 is a Gaming Machine, that is a Blu-Ray Player that can also play DVD's. So a PS3 is certainly a DVD Player. Some consider it to be one of the best Blu-Ray Players out there, with excellent DVD upscaling capabilities.

AGAIN with the wrong information "But I am just trying to help" attitude.

A Blu-Ray Player is a DVD player as well. A PS3 is a Gaming Machine, that is a Blu-Ray Player that can also play DVD's. So a PS3 is certainly a DVD Player. Some consider it to be one of the best Blu-Ray Players out there, with excellent DVD upscaling capabilities.

I would agree with Niceman on this one. My understanding is that the PS3 is a gaming machine and with outstanding blu ray playback capabilities. BUT a BR player is not a DVD player (despite its backward compatability) and many of the issues that official DVD players irined out over time (notably layer change delays and dropped frames) returned with BR players. Likwise it is not a CD player. The same would apply to any computer disc drive.

What a ridiculous thing to say. A Blu-Ray player CAN play DVDs, but it is not a DVD player. Neither is it a hammer, even if you manage to drive a nail in with it. Even if your Blu-Ray player is better at driving in nails than your hammer, it is a BluRay player.

What you're trying to do is make a semantic argument to try and twist my helpful comment into something.... well, gee I don't know what you think you're twisting it into. If a Blu-Ray player is a DVD player does that mean I was trying to hurt people by telling them that they can reprogram their DVD players into Region-0 discs? Do you think I was taking something away from people? Was I maliciously telling people that I know a way to make DVD players play discs they wouldn't otherwise be able to? I handed out some good advice which could well help people - and benefited me in no way shape or form in exchange. You're just being a belligerent ass now.

EdgeFest said:

Mine have the 0 on them. I can't play the Sydney disc in Sony Player. I am in the USA

Heard Heaven and Hell yet?
I always liked the version on the Salome bootleg, and i love this new version.
Edge's guitar during the last minute.... :heart:

Just listened to Oh Berlin for the first time, and i'm not sure i'm liking it...

Heaven and Hell is one of my new favorites. That solo at the end by Edge is seriously one of my new favorite minutes or so of any U2 song.

Oh Berlin is great as well, and I'm really digging this version of Blow Your House down.

My rating on the new tracks:

Heaven And Hell > Down All The Days > Blow Your House Down > Oh Berlin > Everybody Loves A Winner > Near The Island

But the Kindergarten disc is above everything

Man, I thought the remastered debate represented this thread's low point, but the PAL/DVD issue is giving it a run for it's money. It's a shame that Universal screwed up like this, as it would be fun to actually discuss the contents of the set here now that many of us actually have it in-hand.

I do understand the DVD frustration, though.

Man, I thought the remastered debate represented this thread's low point, but the PAL/DVD issue is giving it a run for it's money. It's a shame that Universal screwed up like this, as it would be fun to actually discuss the contents of the set here now that many of us actually have it in-hand.

I do understand the DVD frustration, though.

It was a major screw up. Only eclipsed by Amazon.ca's!

Here are the wallpapers from DVD 3:

V0F8X.jpg

SUrZG.jpg

Too bad they didn't include some more.

The "new" b-sides were interesting. Lyrics for Oh Berlin were fascinating but since there's so much talking, it's not a song that one can rock to easily (for me at least). Loved Down all the Days.

The best was Kindergarten baby IMHO. I loved the more Raw, unpolished feel of the vocals. The alternate chords for One took my head for a spin, being so used to the traditional ones. Favorite baby versions - WGRYWH. Wow the lyrics and melody - I have this one on repeat. LIB also - unbelievably darker than before!

Heaven and Hell is one of my new favorites. That solo at the end by Edge is seriously one of my new favorite minutes or so of any U2 song.

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but it's clear to me from the style of the playing that this is 2011 guitar work.

And I don't really have a problem with Bono's new vocals, but on Heaven & Hell and Blow Your House Down the lyrics area little iffy. Bono has a tendency on these old/new tracks (as in Wave Of Sorrow) to "over-write" with lyrics that sound too labored over, often trying to squeeze too many words instead of going with the flow of the music. I don't remember Disappearing Act having that proble but I haven't heard it as much.

Do the liner notes say anything about these new vocals/instrument tracks supposedly present on some of the B-sides? Is there any indication this was actually done for any tracks other than than what people think they hear?

I have the original tracklisting from the Universal website that states a few songs have been messed with. One specifically said new vocals. Hold on let me find it.

CD5 - B-sides and Bonus Tracks
01. Lady with the spinning head (UV1)
02. Blow Your House – Analogue Mix Bono Edit 190711
03. Salome
04. Even Better Than the Real Thing (Single)
05. Satelite of love
06. Wild Horses (Temple Bar Remix)
07. Heaven And Hell – In Truth Mix 210711
08. Oh Berlin – Analogue Mix 1 190711 (needs an edit)
09. Near the Island (instr) Night train from Rostock.
10. Down All The Days (Vsn 1) [CD#4/07] (needs edits)
11. Paint it black
12. Fortunate Son
13. Alex Descends into Hell for a bottle of Milk/Korova
14. Where did it all go wrong
15. Everybody loves a winner edit between take 2+3
16. Real Thing (Fish out of water mix)

So Blow Your House Down is definitely a new vocal, laid down on 19-07, aka when they were in New York. So that would work timewise. Oh Berlin is also from that date, though it doesn't state whether the vocals were changed or not. Same with Heaven and Hell.

Interesting though, I just realised Down All The Days. It has a CD number and track number. Did they use the same working tapes as the Salome sessions?

Well they all say they have additional production and recording by Declan Gaffney, who's also credited with keys, percussion, and even b. vocals on one track. It does not say what is new and what isn't.

And Gaffney doesn't have any credits on the Kindergarten aside from additional recording /production on TTTYAATW, and mixing on One and Love Is Blindness.

I handed out some good advice which could well help people - and benefited me in no way shape or form in exchange. You're just being a belligerent ass now.

You've handed out shit advice, and now personally attacked me. Fuck off. You're an idiot.

If something fucking plays DVD's, it's a fucking DVD Player. If your hammer played DVD's, it would be a DVD player.

DSCF02814.jpg

See that logo on the box? It's a DVD logo. It's a DVD player. It also has BD logo, a CD logo, among other things. It's all those things. Doesn't matter what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom