Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what the disagreement is here. Clearly Niceman's DVD player converts PAL to NTSC. I've done the same with a Philips player I got at Target. Just a matter of resetting the Region to 0.

Yeah. I'm clueless as to what the problem is. They're attacking my actual real-world experience by telling me its theoretically improbable.... But I've done it dozens of times with 3 different $30 DVD players! From experience, I can tell you the TV isn't an issue and its incredibly easy to do.

I tried to play the DVDs in my old cheap player, which supposedly is able to play European PAL dvds as well as North American but I think my player is hosed (I also tried my Rose Bowl DVD which wouldn't play as well, even though it did in the past) so I couldn't tell about the others. Has anybody played the other DVDs in a standard N. American (non-computer) player?

Ripped all the CDs to my iPod tonight, will give them a spin tomorrow. I used the "Deluxe" artwork that comes with the iTunes/Amazon download versions for all but Zooropa, and the Zooropa promo single artwork for the Zooropa CD. Would love better artwork (like the same theme as the AHK-toong Bay-bi cover).

i thought PAL/NTSC and Region coding were 2 different things?

DVD region codes are a digital-rights management technique designed to allow film distributors to control aspects of a release, including content, release date, and price, according to the region.

NTSC, PAL and SECAM are all analog chroma-encoding formats which have no relevance in the digital domain

DVD region codes are a digital-rights management technique designed to allow film distributors to control aspects of a release, including content, release date, and price, according to the region.

NTSC, PAL and SECAM are all analog chroma-encoding formats which have no relevance in the digital domain

Make your DVD player region 0 and then let me know if you have any trouble playing PAL discs. I haven't had any.

Niceman, did your DVD players NOT play specifically labelled PAL DVDs prior to setting them to Region 0?

edit- based on Danny Boy's post below, it looks like disabling the firmware to prevent otherwise native PAL/NTSC conversion is a deliberate choice. Lame/evil move, DVD player makers!

Yes, two different things. But once I reset my Philips player to Region 0, it was able to convert PAL to NTSC. Just had to set the output to NTSC as opposed to AUTO.

They manufacture the same DVD player for different regions, and then certain features are disabled in the firmware depending on the region setting.

Ah thanks, that makes sense. Here's hoping people don't have any more issues.

Regardless, it's very, very dumb for U2 to ship out a PAL DVD to the United States. Even if some/most/occasional/all US DVD players work with PAL nowadays, this is not something that necessarily has to be the case in the US. And I certainly have encountered an issue with trying to play a PAL DVD (with no region coding whatsoever) on an older DVD player connected to a SDTV before. I know that this isn't the norm, but it happens, and U2 should not be marketing DVDs directly to the US market that are not in standardized US format.

digitize said:
Regardless, it's very, very dumb for U2 to ship out a PAL DVD to the United States. Even if some/most/occasional/all US DVD players work with PAL nowadays, this is not something that necessarily has to be the case in the US. And I certainly have encountered an issue with trying to play a PAL DVD (with no region coding whatsoever) on an older DVD player connected to a SDTV before. I know that this isn't the norm, but it happens, and U2 should not be marketing DVDs directly to the US market that are not in standardized US format.

Especially when the disc is labeled as NTSC and its clearly not. Not a deal breaker for me since I already have the ZooTV DVD, but still. This set was expensive. The DVDs should work regardless of what player I choose to play them in. I should be able to play them in a PS3. But as its stands, 3 discs work, 1 doesn't.

zeejaydee said:
Especially when the disc is labeled as NTSC and its clearly not.

Isn't that, uhh, illegal?

Edit: indeed, I shouldn't jump the gun, may just be a bad disc

I want to hear from other users and see if they have the same problem. It COULD just be a bad disc.

It's not a case of an isolated "bad disc", this is a mislabeled disc mastered and pressed in the wrong standard for North American audiences.

Sure, there are players that are cross compatible and computers can play them, but that is a band aid work around. There needs to be a recall and replacement by Universal.

These other arguments are much like buying a set of new tires and finding out there's a slow leak in one. You really want to keep pumping that one up, or take it back and get a proper replacement?

Listening to the "remaster" right now. It's obvious that it's not the same "holy fuck" kind of thing that the 80's actual remasters turned out to be. Perhaps because this isn't a proper remastering job but perhaps also because the original album was just perfectly mixed...

...however, there's still moments that will blow you away. "Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World" in particular just POPS. Everything that needs to be at the forefront is finally here and it sounds like you're in the room with this band. :up:

I have high end Harmon Kardons in my car, and Denon powered Paradigm Monitor 9s at home and the two-disc version I picked up at Best Buy as a stop-gap sounds... Um... Normal. The remastering really does seem (not surprisingly) minimalist. Looking forward to hearing the vinyl on Thursday, but I'm REALLY waiting for the gimmicky stuff in the Über. Now, if only amazon.ca would SHIP THE BUGGER ALREADY!!!!!!!

It's not a case of an isolated "bad disc", this is a mislabeled disc mastered and pressed in the wrong standard for North American audiences.

Sure, there are players that are cross compatible and computers can play them, but that is a band aid work around. There needs to be a recall and replacement by Universal.

These other arguments are much like buying a set of new tires and finding out there's a slow leak in one. You really want to keep pumping that one up, or take it back and get a proper replacement?

NO ONE has said that it isn't a major problem if the discs are labeled NTSC and going out PAL. I offered a work around and then asked for confirmation that it wasn't just one customer who got a problematic disc.

I have two region-free DVD players, one of them Blu-ray, so I guess I dodged a bullet here.

Mine have some weird markings that do not look like domestic stuff.

I have two region-free DVD players, one of them Blu-ray, so I guess I dodged a bullet here.

Mine have some weird markings that do not look like domestic stuff.

Rose Bowl DVDs have those same markings, except those have a 6 in the box while the AB ones have a 0.

Amazon.ca just emailed me to say that I won't see my Uber box until DECEMBER 19th!!!!!!

Ouch! Bloody hell that's ridiculous. When did you order yours?

On the whole DVD thing. It's kinda funny actually. In the most stupid OMFG how can they make such a simple mistake kinda way. :giggle: Fail!

It's now day 7 since my boxsets were supposedly shipped from Universal UK. Tracking codes STILL give no info. And people in the US and UK have received their copies days ago. I'm really starting to worry.. :sigh:

Ouch! Bloody hell that's ridiculous. When did you order yours?

On the whole DVD thing. It's kinda funny actually. In the most stupid OMFG how can they make such a simple mistake kinda way. :giggle: Fail!

It's now day 7 since my boxsets were supposedly shipped from Universal UK. Tracking codes STILL give no info. And people in the US and UK have received their copies days ago. I'm really starting to worry.. :sigh:

Has ANYTHING on this release gone smoothly?

Let's see...we've got...

Advertising/"remaster" fiasco
Outrageous price
Changing track listings
Edited FTSD
PAL DVD issue
Shipping issues
Low res photos on packaging

Am I missing anything?

That's not even mentioning the relative lack of "new" video material.

I realise this ins't all U2's fault (shipping, for example), but still. I can't believe you haven't gotten yours yet...that's outrageous. Customs shouldn't be an issue since it's being shipped from EU to EU...it should sail right though. Unless Universal just used the cheapest shipping method imaginable (which wouldn't surprise me)

As it is I would not have been surprised if all the songs had been re-recorded with Jon Bon Jovi on vocals. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom