Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok the sydney disc will not play. player says there is "area limitations". only get this when i use a dvd with a different region code

Same issue here. I have discovered that the ZOO TV Sydney disc has been pressed as a European multi region PAL format, instead of multi region NTSC... despite what the printed disc label says!

On a brighter note, it's only a re-release of the 1DVD version of ZOO TV Live in Sydney... there's nothing different with menus or content.

I'm in Canada, but this box set was made in Germany... I'll be interested if more folks in N. America run across this same issue!

Anyone else try their ZOO TV Sydney DVD disc yet?

I received mine today. Listened to all the new songs so far. I like Down All The Days and Everybody Loves A Winner the best after one listen.

Now the "baby" disc is up! :)

V1 V2 V3 said:
Same issue here. I have discovered that the ZOO TV Sydney disc has been pressed as a European multi region PAL format, instead of multi region NTSC... despite what the printed disc label says!

On a brighter note, it's only a re-release of the 1DVD version of ZOO TV Live in Sydney... there's nothing different with menus or content.

I'm in Canada, but this box set was made in Germany... I'll be interested if more folks in N. America run across this same issue!

Anyone else try their ZOO TV Sydney DVD disc yet?

Wait, really? Good god, that's incompetent beyond belief. The vast majority of non-computer North American DVD players can't play PAL at all. Are the other DVDs okay?

I guess it's good that I never intended to touch that disc anyway.

Niceman said:
If you do a search online, you can get instructions to re-program any DVD player into a region-free one. It's very easy.

Not if the DVD is in PAL instead of NTSC. That's an entirely separate issue from region coding.

I just received mine! Cracked it open and popped the "tweaked" Achtung Baby in. The opening riff of Zoo Station has never sounded so good.

I'm gonna have so much fun with this :drool:

Niceman said:
Not true. My US born DVD player is happy to accept PAL discs now.

(I should mention I spent a couple of years working the DVD departments of 2 of the major motion picture studios.)

Hmm, really, interesting? That's changed, but I suppose it's been many years since I've messed with that sort of thing, so I'll trust what you say.

Those of you who have it...I'm just curious, how have you been organizing the different discs in your iTunes?

I was just planning on putting all six discs in and filing them under Achtung Baby (Super Deluxe Edition). Just wondering if anyone else was doing any other different ideas?

I love this :drool:

I was separating them by saying 'Achtung Baby' (Deluxe Edition) [Disc 1]' and then changing the [Disc #] bit for each disc. I'm very organized so I try to separate each disc apart. Although I did separate Zooropa from the other discs and called it, well, Zooropa (duh :p).

I'd organize it follows:

Achtung Baby
Achtung Baby - Kindergarten
Achtung Baby - Remixes (both remix CD's)
Achtung Baby - B-sides
Zooropa

One more quick update for my Canadian friends. UPS now has tracking info and my Uber is expected to arrive here by noon tomorrow. (I'm in Regina, it's coming from Concord, ON).

I just got the 1 disc re-issue and my verdict on the "tweaked" tracks is that they are indeed only slightly tweaked. My setup is a yamaha amp with Senn HD595s so the difference should be noticable if there is any. This is definitly a money grab. lol Ah well, my old disc was getting scuffed :p

The more I've listened to my old disc, the more I realize that Achtung Baby wasn't in extreme need of a full remaster (NOT STARTING THE DEBATE), at least not as much as its predecessors were.

I just did this:

Achtung Baby (20th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition)
Achtung Baby (B-Sides And Other Tracks)
Achtung Baby Uber Remixes
Achtung Baby Unter Remixes
Achtung Baby "Kindergarten" (The Alternative Achtung Baby)
Zooropa (Super Deluxe Edition)

I downloaded the Deluxe Edition from iTunes, the tracks sound slightly different (a bit louder and clearer in my opinion) which is a positive for me.

They haven't updated Zooropa on the iTunes catalog though :sad: so I guess it's not getting a tweakage (or was it ever going to get one?).

The more I've listened to my old disc, the more I realize that Achtung Baby wasn't in extreme need of a full remaster (NOT STARTING THE DEBATE), at least not as much as its predecessors were.

I definitely agree. If an album is mastered properly, there shouldn't be any need to remaster it anyway.

How does Zooropa sound? Is the difference noticeable?

It's definitely louder as I didn't have to turn the volume up nearly as far as I did on the original copy I own. I also felt that it was somewhat clearer but maybe that could be me trying to convince myself there was a major improvement. I have yet to listen to Zooropa through my good pair of headphones. I'll probably give Zooropa a listen tomorrow, tonight however is going to be spent with the Kindergarten disc, which I have yet to listen to as well. Too many distractions earlier.

They haven't updated Zooropa on the iTunes catalog though :sad: so I guess it's not getting a tweakage (or was it ever going to get one?).

I think that could mean there's a good possibility of a tweaked deluxe edition of Zooropa in the future. I mean, I hope we get a 2 disc deluxe version of Zooropa. I want The Wanderer with Bono singing! There's also In Cold Blood and they have plenty of remixes to fill an extra disc. If they could get a 2 disc of October then surely they can do the same with good ole Zooropa. The tweaked Zooropa is only accessible to those who buy the Super and Uber Deluxe versions of Achtung also, so I think there's a chance.

It's definitely louder as I didn't have to turn the volume up nearly as far as I did on the original copy I own. I also felt that it was somewhat clearer but maybe that could be me trying to convince myself there was a major improvement. I have yet to listen to Zooropa through my good pair of headphones. I'll probably give Zooropa a listen tomorrow, tonight however is going to be spent with the Kindergarten disc, which I have yet to listen to as well. Too many distractions earlier.

Have fun with the Kindergarten disc. Its incredible.

Tonight, for me, is listening to the tweaked Achtung Baby and Zooropa. And maybe the remix discs. I'll check 'em out.

So far, AB is sounding excellent. :drool: :love::love:

What is with me? I was going to wait until closer to Christmas to see if the Super Deluxe would go on sale. Got off of work today and went to Best Buy and bought the last of 2 Super Deluxe's they had received. :hyper:

I think that could mean there's a good possibility of a tweaked deluxe edition of Zooropa in the future. I mean, I hope we get a 2 disc deluxe version of Zooropa. I want The Wanderer with Bono singing! There's also In Cold Blood and they have plenty of remixes to fill an extra disc. If they could get a 2 disc of October then surely they can do the same with good ole Zooropa. The tweaked Zooropa is only accessible to those who buy the Super and Uber Deluxe versions of Achtung also, so I think there's a chance.

I'd be happy with just a 2-disc. But they have to release the tweaked in SOME form, if its meant to be the new standard mix, don't they?

Finished importing all six CDs into my iTunes. Whomever uploaded the tracklisting to Gracenote made several typos on the song titles.

Now I just have to find the AB typeface to create some custom artwork, or just scan the CD covers and lift it from the discs. I'm such a nerd.

Finished importing all six CDs into my iTunes. Whomever uploaded the tracklisting to Gracenote made several typos on the song titles.

Now I just have to find the AB typeface to create some custom artwork, or just scan the CD covers and lift it from the discs. I'm such a nerd.

I hear ya on the typos. Terrible.

If you've got the right information in place in the "Album" and "Artists" boxes in iTunes then all you have to do is right click on a song and then select Get Album Artwork in pop up menu and iTunes will send artwork to the songs. I would suggest having just "Achtung Baby" in the "Album" box for getting the art then changing later. Not sure if you knew that or not, just trying to help out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom