Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part V/Five

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But we really need disc 2 of Zooropa with Cruising down Main Street, In Cold Blood, and all the other goodies they've never given us!

I've never heard of these? Can they be had anywhere? I recently got hold of a load of demos from 'War' that sound pretty good...and a 'full' version of 'Wild Irish Rose' with no narration. Sounds amazing.

I've never heard of these? Can they be had anywhere? I recently got hold of a load of demos from 'War' that sound pretty good...and a 'full' version of 'Wild Irish Rose' with no narration. Sounds amazing.

No, they cannot be had, but they've mentioned them. In Cold Blood was a poem version of Numb. Bono wrote a story about children getting raped. It was apparently pretty hard core. I've heard that it got played on the radio once or twice, but I don't know if that's true. Cruising Down Main Street was apparently about the first Gulf War (Cruise missiles.)

Baby Zoo Station :drool: incredible version
Everybody Loves A Winner :drool:

There are amazing unreleased material, but the baby version is the most intressting of the 6 discs :)

Yes Peter, it has been re mixed by Declan. And there's a few 'new' unreleased songs that feature recent works as well, and one has new vocals.

I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the liner notes do not say anything about bonus features. Running time is listed as 1 hour 14 minutes.
Hmm, that's interesting. I'd think they'd have SOME sort of bonus feature on it. Plus that's at least 10 minutes shorter than the original running time. Strange.

I just watched the From The Sky Down documentary DVD and it is edited, compared to the version shown on the BBC a couple of weeks ago. Yes, the running time is around 75 minutes and not the 85 of the BBC version. Things I noticed that were cut include:
- the section of other bands breaking up
- first demo of Mysterious Ways (with Bono commenting on the 'It's alright' chorus with "It's not alright" and Edge commenting on how the rhythm lacks personality)
- Edge's comment about his initial solo in Love Is Blindness

That's too bad, actually, as those scenes flesh out the narrative a bit more. It could be that these discs were pressed before the final editing was done.

What exactly are the "Baby"-versions, really? Are they early versions or just simply alternate versions? Sounds great, though. I'm especially loving TTTYAATW. It's probably too happy to've worked on the original album but in itself I think it's better than the album version. :love:

What exactly are the "Baby"-versions, really? Are they early versions or just simply alternate versions? Sounds great, though. I'm especially loving TTTYAATW. It's probably too happy to've worked on the original album but in itself I think it's better than the album version. :love:

They're supposedly early versions, but I think they've done a lot of work with them more recently too.

What exactly are the "Baby"-versions, really? Are they early versions or just simply alternate versions?

They are early (work-in-progress) versions. At least, they don't sound finished to me, with all of that Bongolese.

They're supposedly early versions, but I think they've done a lot of work with them more recently too.

According to the liner notes only TTTYAATW has some additional (recent) recording. Love Is Blindness has a recent mix (though no additional recording).

I just watched the From The Sky Down documentary DVD and it is edited, compared to the version shown on the BBC a couple of weeks ago. Yes, the running time is around 75 minutes and not the 85 of the BBC version. Things I noticed that were cut include:
- first demo of Mysterious Ways (with Bono commenting on the 'It's alright' chorus with "It's not alright" and Edge commenting on how the rhythm lacks personality)

That's too bad, actually, as those scenes flesh out the narrative a bit more. It could be that these discs were pressed before the final editing was done.

So dumb. Really boggles the mind why they do these things.

According to the liner notes only TTTYAATW has some additional (recent) recording. Love Is Blindness has a recent mix (though no additional recording).

At the very least, I'd wager these are hybrid versions. They may have taken elements from 3 or 4 demos and played around with them to make what we've got. I'm not saying we've got all new vocals and guitar. I am saying they were not sitting in a vault in their present form, but were constructed out of what was there.

btw. What a missed opportunity is that version of One with the exact same vocal track as the album! :(

At the very least, I'd wager these are hybrid versions. They may have taken elements from 3 or 4 demos and played around with them to make what we've got. I'm not saying we've got all new vocals and guitar. I am saying they were not sitting in a vault in their present form, but were constructed out of what was there.

For TTTYAATW and Love Is Blindness, yes, but for the others I think those were sitting in a vault in the form they're now presented on Kindergarten.

So I went to my Amazon order page just to look at the other shipping options, and how much they were, as currently I had Super Saver free shipping with an est. delivery of Nov. 7-14.

I clicked on "standard shipping" to see what the price was, and was shown a new order page adding $2.98 to the order to get it here between Nov. 4-8.

But I never completed the order, where you normally have to click again to process the seelction or whatever.

Next thing I know I get an email saying my shipping has changed! Just like that.

Kind of ridiculous. It's only a few bucks but the fact that I still might get it a week after release makes it kind of pointless. The only saving grace is that here in Los Angeles I think I'm pretty close to a dist. center so hopefully will have it before the end of this week.

...compared to the version shown on the BBC a couple of weeks ago. Yes, the running time is around 75 minutes and not the 85 of the BBC version. Things I noticed that were cut include:

BULLSHIT!!! I adored that part. Seriously WHY. GRR!

I'll now, I'm sure, have to buy the "Director's Cut" limited edition DVD, to get The Edge talking about his guitar solo. :roll eyes:

Is this the Super or the Uber?

BTW - Shipping for my Uber from Canada still says Not Yet Shipped, shipping date November 1 and arrival November 3-4 as I have chosen priority shipping. I am Canadian so it's coming to Canada. (Please let us know where you are and if you ordered the Super/Uber with shipping updates - thanks all! I need to ask my mom to be at my house to accept the shipment so all the help I can get for a better estimate is appreciated)

BULLSHIT!!! I adored that part. Seriously WHY. GRR!

I'll now, I'm sure, have to buy the "Director's Cut" limited edition DVD, to get The Edge talking about his guitar solo. :roll eyes:

Is this the Super or the Uber?

BTW - Shipping for my Uber from Canada still says Not Yet Shipped, shipping date November 1 and arrival November 3-4 as I have chosen priority shipping. I am Canadian so it's coming to Canada. (Please let us know where you are and if you ordered the Super/Uber with shipping updates - thanks all! I need to ask my mom to be at my house to accept the shipment so all the help I can get for a better estimate is appreciated)

it was on the the version I saw on Showtime last night...

Good to know. Those sections were aired in the Showtime version that premiered last night so I will make sure to keep my DVR'd version.

btw. What a missed opportunity is that version of One with the exact same vocal track as the album! :(

I completely agree about the hybrid senario.

Also Ultra Violet vocals sound exactly like the album version to me, with a bit more added to the end.

Yeah, I'm pretty certain the Baby versions were cobbled together specifically for the repackaging. I doubt there's any overdubs, though (especially vocals, they all sound like early takes to me - sans One, of course).

My theory on why One features the final vocal is that the band probably decided that letting anyone hear that song's unfinished lyric simply wouldn't do. The song has always meant quite a bit to them, in many different contexts, and I'm sure they don't want to 'devalue' its message(s) in any way.

As much as I love Ultraviolet on the album - my favorite song off of AB - the "Baby" version is really, really growing on me. I like the darker guitar noise that's closer to the one we heard when it was played live on 360. And I like how they moved the "sometimes I feel like I don't know" part later into the song.

But I remember people saying that they liked how the "Baby" version is "darker" than the "poppy" final song. I disagree. I don't think that the final version is "poppy" at all. It sounds a lot lighter, but it is still a pretty dark song when you listen to the lyrics in context. I think the only time Ultraviolet really felt "poppy" was when U2 played it live on ZooTV and on the Killers' cover version.

As much as I love Ultraviolet on the album - my favorite song off of AB - the "Baby" version is really, really growing on me. I like the darker guitar noise that's closer to the one we heard when it was played live on 360. And I like how they moved the "sometimes I feel like I don't know" part later into the song.

I find it funny that they placed the intro to Ultraviolet at the same spot in that "baby" version as the demo for LWTSH.

U2 Wake Up Dead Man-w-the Spinning Head - YouTube

How weird too that I finally realized the album is titled "Achtung baby", and the chorus to this song starts out with "baby, baby, baby". :doh:

How weird too that I finally realized the album is titled "Achtung baby", and the chorus to this song starts out with "baby, baby, baby". :doh:

In U2 by U2 Bono mentions there are many reasons for the album being called Achtung Baby, partially becuase he had a new baby during that time, and because they say "baby" about 40 times in this album when they had never used it before, and also there are references like in Zoo Station "I'm ready, ready for the push" lol

(My facts might be a touch off but that is the general jist of what was said in the book).

Well that's just bloody ridiculous. The version people paid for is supposed to at least contain the same material as the versions that aired on BBC and Showtime, not less. The exclusions don't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom