3 Irishmen and a Dutchman Walk Into A Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a similar experience. I was in the 300s off to the side, and it was a great view of everything, but the vast majority of those around me were not very into it unless they played singles/hits. Everyone would sit down periodically, such as for a slower song. I stood the entire time, as this was my first U2 show and I was not about to sit for it. I'm pretty sure I carried my section in terms of knowing/singing the songs. I was also the youngest by far, haha. The older guy next to me asked how I knew every word.
I was kind of disappointed at my section's failure to sing back to Bono when he let the audience sing.

Also, EVERYONE was filming if something remotely interesting happened. I decided from the get-go that I would leave my phone under my seat. I was shocked that everyone wanted to watch the whole show and the massive screen through their own tiny screens. The irony.

And, yes, it was extremely steep. One older lady was very stoked early on in the show, dancing and jumping (one of few in our section), and her husband held her belt the whole time so as to save her from tumbling to her death.

(First time posting here... not sure of specific rules for quoting but I removed a couple things from the above quote that could be considered setlist spoilers. Probably no big deal, just being safe.)

I suspect I'll probably be the youngest in my crowd (these fans aren't getting younger) yet I'll know the words to nearly every song (expect SOS lyrics Streets, ironic since that is my all time favorite song... time to start studying).

I do remember a middle age woman next to me when I saw them in 2015 being impressed I knew every word.

Is it too early to think that they will do their farewell shows here as a residency?

This band is about reaching the biggest possible audience. The farewell will be stadiums, and then maybe a filmed thing in Larry’s old kitchen.

i'll say again - i have zero regrets about doing GA both nights.

anyone with concerns about not being able to take in the entirety of the show should not have those concerns. if anything you become a part of the show. you are immersed in it - right from the get-go with the opening set by the DJ. it was truly mind blowing.

anyone with concerns about not being able to take in the entirety of the show should not have those concerns. if anything you become a part of the show. you are immersed in it - right from the get-go with the opening set by the DJ. it was truly mind blowing.

The Wed night show is saving me bc I def want 2 nights in GA.

You are not helping. :cry:

I shouldn’t have listened to those dudes (Bono and Edge) saying that seats were amazing.

Once Willie said whatever he said about GA feeling like a club etc. etc. I had immediate regrets about selling my 10/7 GA.

You are not helping. :cry:

I shouldn’t have listened to those dudes (Bono and Edge) saying that seats were amazing.

Once Willie said whatever he said about GA feeling like a club etc. etc. I had immediate regrets about selling my 10/7 GA.

Yeah, I'm pre-regretting the seats I have as well. It's just less ~participatory~.

So real GA question — anyone get stopped by security for any reason ticket wise?

So real GA question — anyone get stopped by security for any reason ticket wise?

I did. Night 2, we had a group of 4 tickets on one person's account - who I normally always go to shows with. I couldn't be bothered to line up with himI so I got the TM login during the day and downloaded 2 of the tickets to my wallet (tickets 3 and 4, logically thinking 1 and 2 would be the other ones already scanned) . Everything hunky dory....tickets are in my wallet and good to go.

Got to the gate, incidentally going late means no lineup lol! Anyways she scans the tickets and tells me that they've already been scanned. So we go right back into the TM account, to the barcodes, and she tries all 4 tickets. Sure enough, 3 of 4 are reading as already scanned.

As I start panic texting Mark, she looks at me and says.. don't worry hun, you're good, you don't strike me as a scammer. Puts a wristband around myself and my girlfriend's hand and in we go.

Wasn't a fun time for all of a minute tho. I think they were having similar issues with others.

You’re telling me a morally upstanding sophisticate christened the Sphere with his vomit before U2 even came on stage?

This was my personal favorite

Headache is vastly overestimating the importance of this venue. It could be bigger on the inside like the TARDIS, but it would still just be a weird venue in Vegas, and a rock band doing a Vegas residency would still be a joke. Vegas itself will still be a joke.

How cute.

There was a ton of risk with this venue. But the end game was always quite simple - if they (they being Dolan/MSG) can pull off everything they were claiming? it will be a meteoric leap in concert and live entertainment technology. If they don't, they'll end up in financial ruin.

They pulled it off.

I'm sure this has already been posted here somewhere, sorry can't keep up with it all

.https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/entertainment-columns/kats/u2-at-the-sphere-in-24-edge-wouldnt-rule-it-out-2914248/

Viva Mullen Vegas?

Sphere Entertainment CEO Jim Dolan said Friday night the next two acts are to be announced “soon” for The Sphere. What about the band playing there now?

The Edge is telling members of Irish media visiting over the weekend it is possible U2 will extend its run beyond December. Veteran sound engineer Joe O’Herlihy has also mused that the band might return in ’24, with drummer Larry Mullen Jr. returning to the band.

“I wouldn’t rule it out,” The Edge is quoted in the Irish Times. “That could happen, and we’d love it if it did.”

That happened to me at Bruce back in March, I get through the metal detector and to the scan guy and he tells me there's a problem with my ticket. He asked me if it was a screenshot and no it wasn't.

I got it directly from TM and downloaded it to my Google wallet on my Android phone just as TM said to do. So I had to try to get through the huge crowd that was in the line to go to the Ticketmaster "office" that's in TD Garden.

There were quite a few other unhappy people there. There was a woman there who works for Little Steven, she was helping the VIPs.She asked me what happened and she said we will make it right for you and everyone else here.

When I eventually got up to the desk the guy scanned it and said it was fine. Unfortunately then I had to get back in the security and scan line.

That time I did not show them the ticket that was in my wallet, I used the one that's stored in TM. The one in my wallet had a barcode that didn't move vs the TM one that has movement. So I think that might be an issue. When I do the U2 GA in November I'm going to show them the moving one first that's stored in TM.

If the band can handle extending the tour another 3 months with Larry and also record the new album might as well since LA is right there?

They’re not great at multi-tasking, or at least finishing while multi-tasking.

I also like this from that Review Journal article

Edge says the Sphere is “intimate,” not always the first adjective used for the 17,500-seat globe.

“When you look up from here, you can really see people in the top-tier seats. You can pick out individuals. So it’s not like some of these arenas where you can’t see … ” the guitar great told the pub, while seated on stage. “The design is very good for communication. And the intimate moments, it’s amazing. Bono can whisper and you can hear it at the top of the venue, which of course is impossible most of the time.

“We’re still experimenting with that intimacy, and that’s going to be the fun for us over the next few weeks, trying different things.”

Did anyone in the 400 sections hear Bono whispering ? *Cue how much longer until the buffet jokes*

If the band are returning with Mullen, you'd assume it would be after the next two planned residencies - which Dolan has already announced (mind you without mentioning who they are).

That would push them out to later in 2024, or even 2025. Which would, conceivably, give them time to record.

Or maybe it's Songs of Ascent.

Sphere's of Ascent.

Songs of Spheres.

I could see Larry coming back for at least of pair of shows so it can be filmed with the full lineup before heading out on a full tour.

That happened to me at Bruce back in March, I get through the metal detector and to the scan guy and he tells me there's a problem with my ticket. He asked me if it was a screenshot and no it wasn't.

I got it directly from TM and downloaded it to my Google wallet on my Android phone just as TM said to do. So I had to try to get through the huge crowd that was in the line to go to the Ticketmaster "office" that's in TD Garden.

There were quite a few other unhappy people there. There was a woman there who works for Little Steven, she was helping the VIPs.She asked me what happened and she said we will make it right for you and everyone else here.

When I eventually got up to the desk the guy scanned it and said it was fine. Unfortunately then I had to get back in the security and scan line.

That time I did not show them the ticket that was in my wallet, I used the one that's stored in TM. The one in my wallet had a barcode that didn't move vs the TM one that has movement. So I think that might be an issue. When I do the U2 GA in November I'm going to show them the moving one first that's stored in TM.
I think the best idea is to have both readily available. If there is an issue with one, pull up the other version and hopefully that works.
I've yet to have any issue with Mobile tix (although Saturday night when entering Seth Meyers's show at URI Family weekend, I opened my Apple Wallet and tapped on my U2 Sphere tickets first by mistake, but caught it before they guy scanned), but am always leery of issues. I'm old school and would prefer to have paper tickets. Plus, I collect(ed) them and now miss out on having those mementos.

There's been a lot of talk, maybe... maybe too much talk, that Lawrence is out until at least 2025.

I don’t expect anything from him until then either, tbh. Will give me time to save up $ for the next tour. Unless I get lucky on some Vegas slots.

Back
Top Bottom