3 Irishmen and a Dutchman Walk Into A Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was at a hipster coffee shop this morning, and it was packed with U2 haters. But I heard them whispering amongst themselves about The Sphere and how amazing it looked and how good U2 sounded maybe they’ve been wrong about U2 and especially Bono this whole time, and feel bad about it. Plus, they’ve never taken SOI off their phones because they like it so much.

I think Harry Styles could sell out a residency at Sphere, his last tour was wildly successful. He's rumored to be a candidate to do it. His management company is affiliated with the MSG people, something like that.

Taylor without question, I didn't see her Eras show but her music is made for that venue. I happen to think she isn't shite. She Is a hard working and quite talented songwriter and performer.

Lady Gaga would be fantastic there, but she has the contract with the Park MGM venue.

I was at a hipster coffee shop this morning, and it was packed with U2 haters. But I heard them whispering amongst themselves about The Sphere and how amazing it looked and how good U2 sounded maybe they’ve been wrong about U2 and especially Bono this whole time, and feel bad about it. Plus, they’ve never taken SOI off their phones because they like it so much.

One of those hipster haters happened to glance over at your table and saw this:

robert-redford-jeremiah-johnson.gif

Taylor without question, I didn't see her Eras show but her music is made for that venue. I happen to think she isn't shite. She Is a hard working and quite talented songwriter and performer.

Taylor at the Sphere doesn't work. She'd have to play a couple hundred shows to match demand. It'd be great for the Sphere and Vegas, but it wouldn't be worth it for her financially.

It would be great to see how different artists use the place and its only 20,000 seats, so is within the reach of loads of bands to sell out. I guess it depends whether the management are willing to have artists book it for just a couple of gigs here and there in between other residencies going on?

It would be great to see how different artists use the place and its only 20,000 seats, so is within the reach of loads of bands to sell out. I guess it depends whether the management are willing to have artists book it for just a couple of gigs here and there in between other residencies going on?

The challenge is developing content that uses the arena properly. It’s a special attraction venue. Will be hard to justify charging premium prices without the wow factor, otherwise they’d just book T-Mobile Arena as part of their standard tour routing. The obvious smart move would be to have an in-house creative team to assist artists and make it an easy “yes.”

Will Dolan muscle bands into Sphere if they also want to play MSG? Remains to be seen.

I've decided to go into my show spoiler free as much as possible. I mean I know the bones of the setlist. Saw the first 2 songs posted on the set list party thread Friday before calling it a night, exactly what I figured they would be. But haven't watched any videos and will avoid doing so. And won't know the exact order of setlist and what a few songs/rotating songs might be.
Only have to wait 23 more days, should be able to pull that off.

I've decided to go into my show spoiler free as much as possible. I mean I know the bones of the setlist. Saw the first 2 songs posted on the set list party thread Friday before calling it a night, exactly what I figured they would be. But haven't watched any videos and will avoid doing so. And won't know the exact order of setlist and what a few songs/rotating songs might be.

Same. Saw a few random photos but have muted a ton of accounts on the socials to avoid too much. 23 days!

Same. Saw a few random photos but have muted a ton of accounts on the socials to avoid too much. 23 days!

:yes:
You can do it!

They have to figure out who’s worth a residency versus who happens to be on tour. For example, festival headlining bands who can still sell out MSG for a night, like Kings Of Leon, would probably love to play there for 3 or 4 nights and sell out the shows, but there’s no way they’d be able to handle a residency and want to develop creative for that screen just for one weekend. Unless like you said sphere will have in house creatives kind of packaged and ready to go depending on the act?

Guess the set list if you haven't see any spoilers... you're going to be 95% right.

Taylor at the Sphere doesn't work. She'd have to play a couple hundred shows to match demand. It'd be great for the Sphere and Vegas, but it wouldn't be worth it for her financially.

She's also very competitive. If U2 is getting "one of the best shows ever" reviews, and if the rumoured Harry Styles residence is also raved, she won't want to be left out of the party.

But let's see if she actually attends one of these shows. That's the first step. There were a number of high-profile celebrities there this weekend, so I suspect it will continue to be a must-see event for those who have connections.

I assume they just leave Bram there for the next person up....

Had an INCREDIBLE time at Fridays shows, just bought tickets to the 10/20 as well, it was that good.

However, the energy level of the people on the seated areas was atrocious. A lot of the crowd around me looked bored or unfamiliar with the non-single AB tunes.
It honestly seemed like a lot of casual fans bought tickets who really didn’t even realize they were playing all of AB.

Had two couples behind me ask me to sit down during UTEOTW…that was a hard no from me. It’s a concert not a damn dinner show.

Had an INCREDIBLE time at Fridays shows, just bought tickets to the 10/20 as well, it was that good.

However, the energy level of the people on the seated areas was atrocious. A lot of the crowd around me looked bored or unfamiliar with the non-single AB tunes.
It honestly seemed like a lot of casual fans bought tickets who really didn’t even realize they were playing all of AB.

Had two couples behind me ask me to sit down during UTEOTW…that was a hard no from me. It’s a concert not a damn dinner show.

Rock on :rockon:
Good on you not sitting down, that would have tainted the experience for me.

I'm usually a standing guy but those seats seem mighty steep. If I can stay seated in my 400 level seat, I will.

Yes to be fair there are people who experience issues with standing in places like that, from the pictures I've seen the 400 sections look especially steep. And they had no way of knowing how steep it would be before they bought those tickets. I didn't either.

I've had a few issues in regular arenas when I was in those types of seats, a falling forward nerve wracking feeling. And some people do live with anxiety, people who don't live with it don't understand it. So maybe cut those people some slack.

I changed to a GA for a different show because I was able to, partially for concerns about that. Second row too, so that's even more prone to a feeling of falling forward.

There was some confusion over whether or not people in the 400s were being told to sit by security. Apparently in at least one section that was the case (which led to some schmo on the Facebook page doing a victory lap because apparently that's the norm in the land of dingos).

That definitely was not the case in night 2. I didn't think it was in night 1 but I made a point to check the next day because that guy was tagging me in an effort to prove himself right.

PXL_20231001_055613175.jpgPXL_20231001_055611154.jpg

Yes to be fair there are people who experience issues with standing in places like that, from the pictures I've seen the 400 sections look especially steep. And they had no way of knowing how steep it would be before they bought those tickets. I didn't either.

I've had a few issues in regular arenas when I was in those types of seats, a falling forward nerve wracking feeling. And some people do live with anxiety, people who don't live with it don't understand it. So maybe cut those people some slack.

I changed to a GA for a different show because I was able to, partially for concerns about that. Second row too, so that's even more prone to a feeling of falling forward.

It can be bad enough with a particularly steep arena or stadium, but especially with such crazy, potentially vertigo inducing visuals I think it'd make sense that more people than usual might be sitting down. Doesn't mean they're not enjoying the show! Well, if they're also on their phones you can probably assume they're not.

If people in front of me stand, I'll stand no problem (you'll never catch me telling someone else what to do at a concert), but I'm guessing I'll want to sit, based on the photos I've seen. But we'll see.

That's a good point, y'all. VERTIGO. There's always the half-measure of sitting on the folding seat (if it's the kind that pops up), that would feel a little more secure if you're in an "aaaa, I'm going to fall" feel.

There was some confusion over whether or not people in the 400s were being told to sit by security. Apparently in at least one section that was the case (which led to some schmo on the Facebook page doing a victory lap because apparently that's the norm in the land of dingos).

That definitely was not the case in night 2. I didn't think it was in night 1 but I made a point to check the next day because that guy was tagging me in an effort to prove himself right.

View attachment 14029View attachment 14030

I have heard that yes, security was siding with the "sit down" people if a complaint was made. Not sure what sections.

Alternatively, I also did read that in the 400s. security was asking people to sit down because of the steep angle.

It can be bad enough with a particularly steep arena or stadium, but especially with such crazy, potentially vertigo inducing visuals I think it'd make sense that more people than usual might be sitting down. Doesn't mean they're not enjoying the show! Well, if they're also on their phones you can probably assume they're not.

If people in front of me stand, I'll stand no problem (you'll never catch me telling someone else what to do at a concert), but I'm guessing I'll want to sit, based on the photos I've seen. But we'll see.

Yes that is a very good point, the vertigo with the visuals. That's why they give people the warnings that they give.

I have heard that yes, security was siding with the "sit down" people if a complaint was made. Not sure what sections.

Alternatively, I also did read that in the 400s. security was asking people to sit down because of the steep angle.
Seems like more a night one thing, and clearly something that wasn't well communicated - either from security to fans or management to security.

I definitely looked up a few times on night one and saw people standing up at all levels, but some sections weren't.

Night two looked more uniform as far as the standing goes - so looks like they fixed whatever communication breakdown

So I had 4th row seats in section 404, and when we walked up on Saturday night, we realized they were actually 1st row, due to extra space being carved out for ADA seating.

Initially expecting to stand for the whole show (and to be clear, I stood for the entirety of Taylor Swift’s 3-hour+ show with no issues), I wound up sitting for all of it, even the big finish. Why? Couldn’t really tell you, just felt more natural taking it all in from that position.

Back
Top Bottom