3 Irishmen and a Dutchman Walk Into A Sphere - General Discussion Thread Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm as cynical as the next guy, but these media outlet writers get free press tickets. They WANT to see the show. Why would they make up stuff when they'll be able to write from a legitimate POV after having seen it?

As someone who worked in journalism and reviews before… I don’t think it’d be unheard of to have a chunk of the article written already, if you’re on a strict deadline. But that would probably be for basic information to fill in the gaps with what you’re watching (ie, background on the Sphere, Bram filling in for Larry, Achtung being a landmark album from 30+ years ago, etc.). Once the show ends, you can start to fill in the rest with what you saw, the little details you noted, and the clever lines you thought of when you saw the show.

There’s certainly articles out there that ARE basically PR and written beforehand. But I’d probably think that most of the concert reviews follow some version of the above scenario.

Appreciate the spoiler free review!

Yes! Thank you, Headache!

I think I know just enough to get hyped, but not enough not to be surprised at the show.

And the mop bucket photo...like, thank you for going all out on the update :lmao:

And that was before the screen effects even really started. Speaking of - anything motion sickness inducing or pretty chill? Just looking for a general statement in this spoiler-free thread

And that was before the screen effects even really started. Speaking of - anything motion sickness inducing or pretty chill? Just looking for a general statement in this spoiler-free thread
One song was absolutely motion sickness inducing, at least for me on the floor.

I could be specific if you'd like but up to you.

Someone had a pretty good point on a random Facebook article comment that he works at a PR firm and that the band simply couldn’t pass this up because it positively associates them with tech to get press out there away from apple and iTunes (yes it still hurts the U2 brand all these years later).

I get motion sickness when playing first person shooter video games, so I was a little worried about this show. But I had no issues at all.

What did you do? Look away, close your eyes, ride it out?
Oh I absolutely had to look away. It felt like the stage was lifting up off the ground and tilting. It was weird as fuck.

That guy who yacked all over the floor before the show even started? I doubt he made it. Rest in peace, soldier.

Even Better Than The Real Thing

2027 it is.

I know this fanbase has been old for a while, but being here in Vegas at the Venetian/Sphere…

My god these people are old.

We all become what we used to mock, I guess.*

* I’m still mocking them.

2027 it is.

I know this fanbase has been old for a while, but being here in Vegas at the Venetian/Sphere…

My god these people are old.

We all become what we used to mock, I guess.*

* I’m still mocking them.

Don't forget white as fuck. Even the new drummer is whiter.

Someone had a pretty good point on a random Facebook article comment that he works at a PR firm and that the band simply couldn’t pass this up because it positively associates them with tech to get press out there away from apple and iTunes (yes it still hurts the U2 brand all these years later).

100%. Lots of videos going viral on social media showing off how it looks inside with the biggest screen in the world doing crazy shit. And U2’s name and music is attached to every post and video.

Judging by review headlines — and the only notable exception seems to be the New York Times — it’s been a complete success.

Trying my damnedest to avoid too many spoilers… quick GA question for those that went - if you didn’t do the morning lineup BS did you feel like you still had a decent spot?

See you all next Thursday - Sunday :wave:

I don't want to deal with any GA bs, that's why I originally got a seat but today I got a GA for a different date. I want to be on Edge's side.

Can't believe that the line people who are that much older are still doing that stuff.

Is there enough room in the GA section to move to different spots to get away from certain people if you want to, or are you stuck there? Sorry haven't read all the details about how big the section is and how many people it holds

Looks like there’s plenty of room off to the sides in the GA section. So depending on where you want to be, you should have options.

As someone who had 300 center level seats the first night, this show is sooooooo much better from GA, a completely different experience. If you have the choice, go GA. You don't even have to line up, strolled in at 8 pm tonight and it's just so much better.

As someone who had 300 center level seats the first night, this show is sooooooo much better from GA, a completely different experience. If you have the choice, go GA. You don't even have to line up, strolled in at 8 pm tonight and it's just so much better.

How was the sound? Only thing I noticed with past tours GA is sometimes it sounds a bit weird to me vs being behind the stage with more room...

But if this tech works -- sound should be awesome anywhere...

How was the sound? Only thing I noticed with past tours GA is sometimes it sounds a bit weird to me vs being behind the stage with more room...

But if this tech works -- sound should be awesome anywhere...

Sounds great anywhere

I can't remember this much mainstream coverage and positive reviews for anything they've done in a very, very long time. Even reviews from a couple of critics who aren't their biggest fans have been praising the performance, the songs, everything about it. Its even being discussed positively on totally random forums, again, by people who aren't fans of the band.

I can totally see why they've done it - they're the natural choice to understand how to get the best from the venue I think.

This isn't meant as a negative dig, but they'd be absolutely insane not to keep the momentum going into next year - whether its an extension to the residency or a new album and tour announcement.

Very interesting! Have 300s for one night and then RZ for the other coming up, had figured the seats might actually be preferable or at least offer a better perspective but glad GA is good as well.

I can't remember this much mainstream coverage and positive reviews for anything they've done in a very, very long time. Even reviews from a couple of critics who aren't their biggest fans have been praising the performance, the songs, everything about it. Its even being discussed positively on totally random forums, again, by people who aren't fans of the band.

I can totally see why they've done it - they're the natural choice to understand how to get the best from the venue I think.

This isn't meant as a negative dig, but they'd be absolutely insane not to keep the momentum going into next year - whether its an extension to the residency or a new album and tour announcement.

The “how can we not” bit from Bono and Edge discussing opening the venue couldn’t have been more true. As much of a grump Larry is and the rumors of him wanting to retire years ago, it’s gotta really bother him that he’s not able to play these shows. It’s funny that a Vegas residency is the bands…come back?

Having watched loads of videos of the show,it would criminal if discotheque is not played. The sphere is perfect for the visuals of that song.

Back
Top Bottom