28 pages of U2 in Q Feb 2009 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter
Echoes of Simon & Garfunkel in this poignant, acoustic string laden ballad about a soldier in the snow of Afghanistan. Due to feature in the new Jim Sheridan film, Brothers, starring Tobey Maguire, about the emotional fallout of the war.

Cedars of Lebanon
Daniel lanois instigated closer that finds Bono imagining himself as a weary, lovelorn war correspondent "squeezing complicated lives into a simple headline". Ends with the possibly telling line "Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you"

nice! thanks for the updates.

one question, did the article say that this is the final tracklisting? or are they just randomly throwing out song names and talking about them?

Appreciate the snippets WindyLad72!!!!!

Thanks a bunch and post as much as you can!!! Very good job!

Every Breaking Wave
With or Without You style pulsar that builds layers of guitars over electonically enhanced verses before opening up into an expansive drop chorus and then ultimately exploding into an ecstatic coda. Key Line: "Every sailor knows that the sea/Is a friend made enemy"

Gotta say, that original post is getting me curious. I promised I wouldn't let myself get too excited until at least the single release, but some of those lyrics are pretty great.

Message to ImOuttaControl..............grow up............my mother-in-law gets me my subscription every Christmas, so go buy your own!! For someone who is 37 and has 2 small kids I've got better things to do..........more posts later.

Message to windylad72.......grow up if you can't handle skepticism..when someone comes on claiming to have this info that noboday else has and has now way to prove it(in terms of scans or anybody else who has the same issue of Q to corroborate), I have every right to be skeptical, so don't get your panties in a bunch.

It's not that you're wrong, it's just that I've seen too much BS on this forum to take people at their word when it comes to this sort of thing. (Fake Edge, anyone?)

Every Breaking Wave... what's "drop chorus" mean? Maybe the mellow-y chant chorus from BC5?

Man, need some actual details.

I promise if I ever hear a new song by U2, you will have as much detail as I can remember.

Just telling it sounds cool is just too vague!

Breathe
Ranting verse over rolling tom-tom rhythem and Arabic cello gives way to a joyful chorus that finds the singer stepping out of the darkness and into the light. Surely set to be a highlight of U2's upcoming shows. "Brian (Eno) say its our best song", Edge points out.

I just have a feeling that these leaks are legit... I'm not sure, though. I could be totally wrong.

But it's fun to speculate.

Breathe
Ranting verse over rolling tom-tom rhythem and Arabic cello gives way to a joyful chorus that finds the singer stepping out of the darkness and into the light. Surely set to be a highlight of U2's upcoming shows. "Brian (Eno) say its our best song", Edge points out.

windylad, you are a good man.

Breathe

Also, I think this is the sort of thing you miss in Beach Clips. Whether the cello rhythm was there in the first place or not, I doubt beach clip quality would pick it up hardly at all. Or the tom-tom rhythm, for that matter.

I really think these clips will be better than the beach clips make them out to be because this time - probably due to Eno and Lanois - that old atmosphere/texture seems to be back. It sounds like these are the kinds of songs you can really live in, that could take you to a "place" like Edge said about TJT. Probably wishful thinking, but it's the feel I'm getting.
:drool:

Breathe

This is definitely going to differ from the beach clip we currently have. Why did I not notice that cello before?

Thanks to Beal and Mika - you are true fans.

The overall impression is that this isnt the final list and names may change and the order may well be different. Bonos talks about a song called Tripoli which is a guy on a motorcycle, a Moraccan french cop, whos going AWOL. He drives though France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning.

Seems a strange one to me - there was talk about a bike in a video clip before on this forum. not sure if this is related!

After the interview Bono drove Paul Rees (Q Editor) around Shepards Bush and played two other songs not named. They have 6 versions of Stand Up!!

Guys there's lots of stuff in the interview and the album was no way finished so hope this helps. i'll keep posting random titbits later.

Cheers, Windylad72

Thanks to Beal and Mika - you are true fans.

The overall impression is that this isnt the final list and names may change and the order may well be different. Bonos talks about a song called Tripoli which is a guy on a motorcycle, a Moraccan french cop, whos going AWOL. He drives though France and Spain down to this village outside of Cadiz where you can actually see the fires of Africa burning.

Seems a strange one to me - there was talk about a bike in a video clip before on this forum. not sure if this is related!

After the interview Bono drove Paul Rees (Q Editor) around Shepards Bush and played two other songs not named. They have 6 versions of Stand Up!!

Guys there's lots of stuff in the interview and the album was no way finished so hope this helps. i'll keep posting random titbits later.

Cheers, Windylad72

awesome! thanks again! :)

windylad- thanks. you're a lucky SOB for having the mag earlier than the rest of us, but thanks for sharing.

2 songs for the editor=Every Breaking Wave and the two versions of No Line on the Horizon, according to the minisite.

Right?

Crazy Tonight
Upbeat pop track with distinct echoes of 60's era Phil Spector, particularly the moment when its chorus disappears into a wash of reverb. Centres around the line: "I'll go crazy If I dont go crazy tonight", "Which sounds like a T=shirt slogan to me" notes the singer.

it sounds like alot of these are story telling songs,, i thought U2 didnt like that.
its a bruce springsteenish thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom