28 pages of U2 in Q Feb 2009 Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

windylad72

The Fly
Just got my subscriber edition through of the latest Q magazine and it has 4 seperate interviews with each of the band, spread over 28 pages.

The 11 tracks to date are as follows:

Stand Up
Rousing groove-based rocker with shades of Led Zep and Cream

Magnificent
Slow building anthem.......Edge at his most dynamic........"Only love can rest your mind"

Get on Your Boots
Demented electro grunge with rock and roll riff and a hip-hop twist ind the middle.........."I dont wanna talk about war between nations"

Momement of Surrender
Gorgeusly melodic............this album's One............U2 Classic.............."I did not notice the passers by/And they did not notice me". Recorded in one take.

Unknown Caller
About a man "at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random insructions.........."Reboot yourself, Password enter here, Youre free to go!"

No Line on the Horizon
Abrasive punk..........few versions hanging around.............its the buzzcocks meets Bow Wow Wow!

Crazy Tonight
Upbeat 60's pop track era of Phil Spector..........."I'll go crazy I dont go crazy tonight" Sounds like a slogan for a tour T shirt!!!

Every Breaking Wave
With or Without You style building up layers of guitar over electroncially enhance verses............Key line "Every Sailor knows that the Sea/Is a friend made enemy"

Breathe
Arabic cello gives way to joyful chorus. Bran Eno says this is U2's best ever song.

Winter
6 minute ballad. Acoustic string laden ballad about a soldier in the snow in Afganistan. Will appear in the new film 'Brothers' starring Tobey Maguire.

Cedars of Lebanon
In the style of a war correspondent lyric from Bono.............end with "Choose your enemies carefully cos they will define you"

Bono did also mention a track about Tripoli but not sure if its on the album..............tomm much stuff to write now so hope this wets your appetites till its out in the shops!!!

Cracking piece from Q!!!

so i guess they didn't go with the layered atmospheric version of NLOTH...scans please!!:drool::drool::drool:

Unknown Caller
About a man "at the end of his rope" whose phone bizarrely begins texting him random insructions.........."Reboot yourself, Password enter here, Youre free to go!"

This is just ridiculous if it's true.

Honestly, I hope this is bullshit because every single lyric quoted in that write-up is awful.

We might be fucked.

My god, I checked here half an hour ago, look what can happen!!!
Awesome info - are those in order? The songs I mean?

Momement of Surrender
Gorgeusly melodic............this album's One............U2 Classic.............."I did not notice the passers by/And they did not notice me". Recorded in one take. :hyper:

I know what I'm listening to first on the album...otherwise this is my favourite desription

"Demented electro grunge with rock and roll riff and a hip-hop twist ind the middle"

Oh my God, I cannot wait to get this edition in January. ALL the descriptions about the songs sound AMAZING! I love that there are epic songs of 6-7 minutes. :love:

Could you possibly scan some of the pictures? Can't wait to read all the interviews. So much U2 suddenly, I love it! :drool:

-"I dont wanna talk about war between nations"

-Acoustic string laden ballad about a soldier in the snow

-In the style of a war correspondent lyric

Is that the theme of this album ? War ?

Will that gel together sonically ? Slow ballads, 60s style pop, rockers, acoustic songs, punk...

The comments on Winter and Get On Your Boots (not Get Your Boots On) make it sound like Bono is back to writing and singing about what he wants and not what would be acceptable and mainstream. I am glad to see this lyrical turn towards old school Bono. Sounds like this album may deal with real world crisis instead of Spanish lessons. Very promising indeed!

about 3 break through classics mentioned in that segment. 'best song' 'anthemic', 'this albums 'one', comparisons to 'with or without you', and an intriuging description of:

Get on Your Boots:
Demented electro grunge with rock and roll riff and a hip-hop twist ind the middle.........."I dont wanna talk about war between nations"

Get ready.

*caution, wet floors*

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

.............."I did not notice the passers by/And they did not notice me".

That lyric is brilliant, very Roger Waters-esque. Lots of promise there. Not so sure about the Unknown Caller lyric though :ohmy:

Does anyone know when it hits the shops normally in the UK?

The comments on Winter and Get On Your Boots (not Get Your Boots On) make it sound like Bono is back to writing and singing about what he wants and not what would be acceptable and mainstream. I am glad to see this lyrical turn towards old school Bono. Sounds like this album may deal with real world crisis instead of Spanish lessons. Very promising indeed!

:huh:

-"I dont wanna talk about war between nations"

-Acoustic string laden ballad about a soldier in the snow

-In the style of a war correspondent lyric

Is that the theme of this album ? War ?

"what is it good for?;)

I seriously want to hear the punk and slow melodic version of NLOTH!!!:drool::drool:

sounds like a best of collection, spanning their career, but with totally new songs...and if they somehow make it new and exciting at the same time, and with a consistancy that can bind the album together...they hit it.

Maybe it's more lyrically album-like than musically.

Listen to the beachclips again: Beach Clip #1 is clearly Unknown Caller. It matches the lyric.

(And #4 would be Magnificent - "Only love can rest your mind"

^ Exactly. So glad to hear all 4 beach clips have made it onto the album. Not sure about clip 5, I've never liked that one much.

This is just ridiculous if it's true.

Honestly, I hope this is bullshit because every single lyric quoted in that write-up is awful.

We might be fucked.

I like all the lyrics quoted in the article, this is getting me more and more excited.

I really find the idea behind "Unknown Caller" interesting, also the concept behind "Cedars". Sounds like some really interesting songwriting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom