(08-27-2003) The Edge is #24 on Rolling Stone Guitar Great List - Rolling Stone *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MBH,

"Although we love U2 and the Edge, he is probably rated too high on the list. He is a hell of a guitarist but there are many on this list--and not on this list--that are better (Fruciante, Van Halen, Vai, Satriani, etc...) Whatever. I'm glad he received his recognition..."

I disagree. I think the Edge's guitar playing is key part of why U2 is the greatest band of all time. Music is not about whether you can play a Billion notes per bar or how flashy your guitar solo is. One of the greatest Musicians of all time, Miles Davis would definitely agree, that sometimes "less is more".

Joe Satriani in fact considers the Edge to be one of his favorite guitarist. Despite its simplicity, he marvels over "I Will Follow". Its not how many notes you play, but which ones.

I'd agree though that Eddie Van Halen should have been at least in the top 20 if not top 10.

Once again I will reiterate "WHERE THE HELL IS SLASH?!?!?!"
Slash is definitely one of the all time greats and he didnt even crack the top 100 according to Rolling Stone.
Also The Edge is in a pretty good spot, maybe a little too high, many others have much better technical skill. However The Edge is still the best melodic guitarist ever.
I remember VH-1's Top 100 albums of all time, and Slash talking about how much he loved The Edges work on The Joshua Tree.

Eric

Skwege, I totally agree with you about Slash. Though I'm not a big G&R fan, I think he's an incredible guitarist, and should be in the top 40 at the very least.

For those of you who think Edge is ranked a little high, you're forgetting he revolutionized the guitar as an art form in an era when pop metal and power chords were king. Edge brought atmosphere and sophistication to music without having to resort to the synth. He created texture in a time of flat colour. He is truly one of the all time greats. Listen to the intro of 'The Unforgettable Fire' or the live version of 'Love is Blindness' to get back in touch with his genius. I can go so far as to say he is great not in spite of, but because of, his lack of technical prowess. His game is minimalism, so by definition he isn't measured by how many notes he can play in a solo like so many of these other guitarists are. Edge belongs high on the list, make no mistake.

Last edited:
What is frustrating is that The Edge is better than he lets on. Hopefully he tears into it on the new album and shuts up his critics that he is only good because of his delay pedal.

Michael Griffiths said:
Skwege, I totally agree with you about Slash. Though I'm not a big G&R fan, I think he's an incredible guitarist, and should be in the top 40 at the very least.

For those of you who think Edge is ranked a little high, you're forgetting he revolutionized the guitar as an art form in an era when pop metal and power chords were king. Edge brought atmosphere and sophistication to music without having to resort to the synth. He created texture in a time of flat colour. He is truly one of the all time greats. Listen to the intro of 'The Unforgettable Fire' or the live version of 'Love is Blindness' to get back in touch with his genius. I can go so far as to say he is great not in spite of, but because of, his lack of technical prowess. His game is minimalism, so by definition he isn't measured by how many notes he can play in a solo like so many of these other guitarists are. Edge belongs high on the list, make no mistake.

Skwege said:
What is frustrating is that The Edge is better than he lets on. Hopefully he tears into it on the new album and shuts up his critics that he is only good because of his delay pedal.
Oh, don't worry Skwege. This next U2 album will surprise a great many people, even us U2 fans...and Edge will have a lot do do with that.

So you're from Seattle I see. Nice to see fellow North Western (from the US perspective) fans on the board. Seattle's a cool city. :up: Are you going to see Radiohead in Auburn? They're in Vancouver on Saturday night, out by the ocean at Thunderbird Stadium. Can't wait. :up:

Michael Griffiths said:

Oh, don't worry Skwege. This next U2 album will surprise a great many people, even us U2 fans...and Edge will have a lot do do with that.

So you're from Seattle I see. Nice to see fellow North Western (from the US perspective) fans on the board. Seattle's a cool city. :up: Are you going to see Radiohead in Auburn? They're in Vancouver on Saturday night, out by the ocean at Thunderbird Stadium. Can't wait. :up:

I don't really care for Radiohead. IMO they are one of the most monotonous and overrated bands this side of Oasis.

TAKE ME DOW TO THE PARADISE CITY WHERE THE GRASS IS GREEN AND THE GIRLS ARE PRETTY..

man listen to the November Rain solo( i love , love to play this on my guitar)

sweet child o mine. and every other song by slash(gnr)(vr)

the god father theme.(get a mp3 of this)

some where over the rain bow( people find a mp3 of this song)

slash is still making music (cant wait to see him and his new band velvet revolver with scot from stone temple pilots as the lead singer)

oh did i tell you all i am SLASH.

this sucks

rolling stone sucks
I mean, where the hell is slash
WHAT THE HELL IS KURT COBAIN DOING THERE!!!!! I mean, everybody in this music enterprises (MTV, RS, VH1) have Cobain as their GOD, when he was all about yealing and feeling miserable. He was trying to do what punk music tried to do in the 80's, and you know what, it didn't work. I ratter listen to the sex pistols or the ramones that hear one more time in every damm top something (it doesn't matter if it's pop, rock, grunge, punk, tecno, salsa, whatever) as N? 1 the "almighty" smell like teen spirit. (what a crappy video)
Slash is great
WHERE THE HELL IS SLASH
WHERE THE HELL IS ACE FREHLEY FROM KISS
WHERE IS BRUCE KULICK
WHY THE HELL IS ANGUS YOUNG (AC/DC) SO LOW ON THE LIST
WHERE IS JOE SATRIANI (I didn't saw him on the list)
WHERE IS STEVE VAI (He neither)

I'm sure those "know-it-all" of RS, not even one of them, have not heard this band: STRATOVARIUS. Their guitar player: Timo Tolkki, is AWESOME, AMAZING (download PARADISE or BLACK DIAMOND or FATHER TIME)
And if you want to hear a really great band, go to kazaa or whatever an look for "X JAPAN". Their last concert was in 1997, bui I don't care :wink: (look for this songs: RUSTY NAIL, DAHLIA, TEARS, ENDLESS RAIN (LIVE), X) They sing in english and in japanese. You can find their lyrics in the internet.

PD: The Edge is on a right position there. 24. Nice

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

Different strokes for different folks.

Precisely, its not that Oasis or Radiohead are bad bands (okay Oasis is:)
I just don't particularly care for them. Obviously alot of other people do.

Eric

guitarists lists :yawn:

isn't this based on the ability to craft a long solo that will bore the fucking crap out of the listener (cf. Satriani, Vai, Howe, Gilmour and any of those other idiots), with a few choices from the 'alternative' world designed to spice up the list and make it seem slightly cool? (cf: Kevin Shields, Jonny and Ed etc.)

yertle-the-turtle said:
(...Gilmour and any of those other idiots)

BLASPHEMY!!!! :faint: :sick: :tsk: :coocoo:

isn't this based on the ability to craft a long solo that will bore the fucking crap out of the listener

You quite obviously have never heard Comfortably Numb or Coming Back to Life, or Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or Money, or Time, or Sheep, or Dogs, or On The Turning Away, or Learning to Fly, or High Hopes, or...

:shame: :sigh:

Guitar lists are fun but the Rolling Stone list is laughable... I'm not surprised at Hendrix being number 1 (its always between him, Beck, and Page IMO) but Jeff Beck should have been higher as well as Page. Actually this list makes me want to cry b/c after skimming it I didn't see Vai, Satriani, Johnson, Malmsteen, or a lot of the influential virtuousos which is ridiculous. The fact that Eddie Van Halen is so low is ridiculous. Any guitar player should be mad at this list.

Jack White is fun and I enjoy his playing but he should not be on this list. His playing has "mistakes" and "Ball and Biscuit" is his song, sure, and its a fun solo but he repeats riffs on the album and I think I remember hearing a similar solo/ variation in another song. I mean, am I a guitar genius for putting on distortion, making a blues influenced solo, and flubbing a little?

And yes, if you even listen to a litttle electirc blues, you will hear that kind of guitar solo.

Let me add that BB King is great and should be respected but he is ranked to high.

I'm a fan of the Edge and I accept whatever ranking he gets even if he is technically not as sound....

The fact Cobain is ranked that high is BS...

gherman said:
Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac...

What the fuck!!!!!!!

Peter Green is easily one of the greats, and probably should be ranked higher. A legendary blues guitarist.

Townshend should be ranked a lot higher too, Top 10 in my book.

I do find lists like these ridiculous. It's kind of like album sales and talent, there is no direct relation between the two.

Though if someone deserves to be on there, it's Bruce Cockburn. He could play circles around most of these people.

Zooropa said:

Peter Green is easily one of the greats, and probably should be ranked higher. A legendary blues guitarist.

Peter Green is an AMAZING guitarist! I saw him live once.
I had to pick my jaw up from the floor where it had fallen,
he was that amazing! Not only an excellent blues guitarist,
but jazz/fusion as well!
At the show I saw (Peter Green wasn't even on his bill, but
a replacement for main act QMS), the next band was Soft
Machine. Green was that excellent that the whole audience
left after his set.....me included. :D

And yep, Pete's a good one too!

DaveC said:

BLASPHEMY!!!! :faint: :sick: :tsk: :coocoo:

You quite obviously have never heard Comfortably Numb or Coming Back to Life, or Shine On You Crazy Diamond, or Money, or Time, or Sheep, or Dogs, or On The Turning Away, or Learning to Fly, or High Hopes, or...

:shame: :sigh:

I agree. I'm a Floyd nut from way back. I used to have some of the lyrics from Shine On You Crazy Diamond in my sig.

Last edited:
iacrobat said:
I do find lists like these ridiculous. It's kind of like album sales and talent, there is no direct relation between the two.

Though if someone deserves to be on there, it's Bruce Cockburn. He could play circles around most of these people.

Who's Bruce Cockburn?

Flying FuManchu said:
. Actually this list makes me want to cry b/c after skimming it I didn't see Vai, Satriani, Johnson, Malmsteen, or a lot of the influential virtuousos which is ridiculous. The fact that Eddie Van Halen is so low is ridiculous. Any guitar player should be mad at this list.

Vai and the rest are technically very accomplished players,
but they bore me though. Some like this style of playing,
it does nothing for me though.
Give me the minimalist approach to guitar playing any day,
instead of how many notes can I squeeze into this guitar
solo.
Anyways, since this list comes from such a "respectable"
publication as of Rolling Stone, this should be taken with
a grain of sand.
It's nothing but a popularity contest. Let's see how many
names we can put up there, and we'lll look "hip" and "cool."
And don't forget to look at all the ads in the magazine and
buy buy buy! :p

There are many qualities which contribute to how strongly a guitarist will be considered for a list like this. It's very easy to isolate guitarists using technical ability as the only frame of reference. I don't consider a musician's ability as a songwriter when using the guitar any less important or irrelevant compared to that of their technical ability. A guitarist as technically accomplished as Van Halen can still not interest me musically in the way that Kurt Cobain or say Jack White can despite appearing to be technically limited in comparison. I would also say inspiration is another important element to take into account. I wonder how many young men and women had the desire to pick up a guitar after hearing Nevermind

Zooropa said:

Yeah, Green was cool. He played with the original line-up of Fleetwood Mac, which didn't sound anything like later Fleetwood Mac (no offense to them, they were just different). I think he freaked out and quit the band. It's a shame that some of the most talented musicians couldn't hack the stress and politics of this business. And yes, Townshend should be ranked higher.

RockNRollDawgie said:

Who's Bruce Cockburn?

He's a Canadian artist who's been around since 1970. Most people who have heard of him know his song "if I had a rocket launcher" which U2 considered covering. Bono did quote him in "God Part 2"...."kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight." That's from "Lovers In a Dangerous Time", a great tune.

Check out his latest 3 albums. "The Charity of Night" is considered a masterpiece by critics and fans. He's released more than 25 albums and is now making the best music of his career. (Seems U2 is going down that path too!)

It's a shame he's not better known. But his songwriting doesn't lend itself to the top 40.

iacrobat said:

He's a Canadian artist who's been around since 1970. Most people who have heard of him know his song "if I had a rocket launcher" which U2 considered covering. Bono did quote him in "God Part 2"...."kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight." That's from "Lovers In a Dangerous Time", a great tune.

Check out his latest 3 albums. "The Charity of Night" is considered a masterpiece by critics and fans. He's released more than 25 albums and is now making the best music of his career. (Seems U2 is going down that path too!)

It's a shame he's not better known. But his songwriting doesn't lend itself to the top 40.

Cool! I'll check this guy out...sounds interesting. :yes:

theblazer said:
Wow, that list sure is a joke. Who the **** cares what RS thinks? It's hard to rate guitarists because of their different styles, but putting Cobain, Jack White, Keith Richards, Frusciante, Hammett, etc. above the Edge is complete stupidity. Haha..needed a good laugh today. Why do people like to trash on anything U2?

I couldn't have said it any better. I could be wrong here but I think Peter Frampton should be on that list! Anyway, it was a funny read; laughing is good for the soul!

RockNRollDawgie said:

Cool! I'll check this guy out...sounds interesting. :yes:

Great! Like I said, his last 3 records are amazing:

Charity of Night - 1997
Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner in Timbuktu - 2000
You've Never Seen Everything - 2003

Back
Top Bottom