(01-27-2006) Bono of U2 Looking At Hip-Hop -- AllHipHop.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono of U2 Looking At Hip-Hop for New Avenues Of Experimentation

By Chris Richburg

U2 lead singer Bono recently cited rapper Kanye West as one of the artists he admires during an Associated Press interview. The revelation came on Thursday (Jan. 26) as the 45-year-old singer and activist expressed an interest in working with hip-hop music.

"I happen to be in really a truly great band, and experimentation has been the lifeblood of this band," said Bono, who also dismissed the idea of doing a solo album. "We of course will look and are looking across at hip-hop and see the amazing innovation in the studio...”

In addition to his hip-hop desires, Bono admitted the other members of U2 were afraid his activism would take its toll on the band and their music.

"Early on they thought it would completely wipe us out, and wipe me out," said Bono, who in Switzerland promoting a new program in which American Express, Gap and other companies will give a portion of the proceeds from specific products to efforts to fight AIDS in Africa. "They know I'm a fairly far-fetched character. But recently ... they feel from our audience a sense that that's what they would like us to be doing.”

Although he knows his band mates spiritually feel as strongly about the issues he champions as he does, Bono confesses “they just don't like the high profile and they don't like me hanging out with really uncool politicians."

Nevertheless, the fact that U2 is looking into hip-hop opens new possibilities for the band.

"I don't know where we're going to go with all our new information and all our new friends ... but it will be somewhere very special or you won't hear about it, because there's no reason for you to put out an album now unless it’s very special,” Bono said. “You know, we don't need the cash."

--AllHipHop.com

BonosBaby12 said:
Would really be different but not sure Im for it :hmm: Love the fact that they expirement but it doesn't sound like U2.

it always seems to sound like u2 in the end, doesnt it?

How would this be any different than them delving into dance, electronica, europop, country, or any of the various other music styles. Over the years, they've done it countless times and all to great success. Remember, its all just an accent on what is fundametally strong U2 sensibilities. They won't tamper with the core of their success - which is heart, soul, religion, & a little bit of politics. Will it ultimately sound like U2 doing hip hop? No. It'll sound like a U2 for today. Contemporary, yet classic. Original, yet undeniably U2.They can't change who they are, but they have to spice things up now and then by growing as artists. That's why every new album sounds fresh, yet as familiar as your favorite t-shirt.

t8thgr8 said:

it always seems to sound like u2 in the end, doesnt it?

Oh and just so things are clear Im not opposed to U2 doing this. All I meant by my comment is that it will be different having them explore the hip hop area. Know U2 will never lose their identity. Sure Im not the only one who is questioning the hip hop possibility. Will I buy their album if they did this? Than yeah I will because it's U2. I could very well be blown away by what they do if this does happen!

Last edited:
I think bono means that they have been experimenting with the way hip hop records and produces...they're always interested in using the studio as a "member" and so i'm sure they've talked with kanye west and others.

cookepuss said:
How would this be any different than them delving into dance, electronica, europop, country, or any of the various other music styles. Over the years, they've done it countless times and all to great success. Remember, its all just an accent on what is fundametally strong U2 sensibilities. They won't tamper with the core of their success - which is heart, soul, religion, & a little bit of politics. Will it ultimately sound like U2 doing hip hop? No. It'll sound like a U2 for today. Contemporary, yet classic. Original, yet undeniably U2.They can't change who they are, but they have to spice things up now and then by growing as artists. That's why every new album sounds fresh, yet as familiar as your favorite t-shirt.

Here here!

Of course it wouldn't be straight up hiphop. I think he means the level of studio sophistocation that someone like Kanye West brings to the music. It wouldn't be unlike what they did on Achtung Baby or Pop (and with Pop, you can debate about the quality level of the songs, but the production is stellar).

I'm all for this! U2 are great at experimenting and I'd love to see what they're capable of when they include a hip-hop twist to the U2 craft :applaud:

They're probably aware that they NEED to do this, musically speaking. 99 percent of interesting, groundbreaking music these days is coming from hip-hop.

I don't think we'd see Bono rapping, but we'd get some funk and soul in the music. Think "In a Little While," and those big drumbeats... those kind of songs.

When the band was starting to make HTDAAB, both Bono and Edge mentioned wanting to work with The Neptunes. After touring with Kanye and Damian Marley and collaborating with Mary J. Blige, it doesn't seem too far fetched that U2 could inject a little hip-hop/R&B flavor into its next album. As long as that doesn't include Bono rapping or dancing, I'm all for it.

Lord God in heaven. *SHUDDER* Bono practicing his hip-hop stage moves on an anonymous school auditorium stage in Addis ababa was cool, but this is ridicukous, if true.

And as someone noted, ironic, since it was 1991's AB that introduced hip-hop beats to the white rock world in a major way. Nobody gives them credit for this, --how hugely influencial AB was musically. It can't be replicated and would only be an embarassment.

How do you know if it will be ridiculous or not until you here the finished product?

I'm all for U2 experimenting because everytime they change directions it helps them grow as a band. It could suck, it could be really cool but I'm confident something great will probably come out of it in the end. Why? Because they're U2, the greatest overall musical band of all-time, that's why. They rebounded from the Rattle and Hum disaster with Achtung Baby and then they flopped with Pop only to put out two excellent albums in this decade.

I'm anxious to see whatever comes out of U2 with their next album - hip-hop, electronic, metal, punk or whatever they dream up this time. Somehow I know it will be cool in the end. :)

People seem to forget Achtung Baby, which had hip hop influences, sure, but people also fail to see little hip hop influences in the rest of the music as well.

"In A Little While" is a pure hip hop beat. Listen to the drums.

He throws a hip hop shout out in Kite as well.

ever hear a little diddy called fast cars? :)
look at all the terrific techno beats from the best of...

this wouldn't be a stretch at all and if we don't like them to experiment we wouldn't have been delivered Achtung!

also you don't have to dance to be a good hip hop performer, you just have to feel the music and we all know B does just that...sure in his own way like his current frankenstein walk!

The U2 sound will always be a U2 sound what ever they do..... but I would rather them doing some speed metal that hip hop....HATE HIP HOP!!!! But I trust U2...... if you take a song like Playboy Mansion, it's like hip hop too me, not a great song, but still the U2 sound is there.... Let's see in 2008...:wink:

If U2 started to do R&B og hip hop (whatever the difference is), I would find another band, since I'm generally into rock. But I would of course give it a chance. I hope we talk about something like POP. I don't care for that R&B version of One. I just don't like that kind of music at all.

But it's just Bono talking :wink:, and he's talking about the studio, not the music, and he's talking very much (from the ass), and media is quoting very bad (from the ass).

But I also feel like U2 (Edge and Bono) hasn't been that enthusiastic about their future work as they have been before. I just doesn't feel the same energy they had before the last 3 albums. Maybe the end is near.

Last edited:
Hip hop influences--yes, hell yes!!

Hip hop record? Puhleeeze! It would be an affront to U2 fans and hip hop fans.

I think it's the raw inspiration of certain hip hop artists that moves Bono, as it has since Disposable Heroes and Public Enemy.

I love the part of this thread where he mentions the other band members being over the "uncool politicians."

I agree with the other band members about the politicians. No problem here with Bono's politics, just his being so into sweet talking the politicians.

Anu

Sorry but I just cannot fathom U2 doing hip hop. It's one thing for them to choose a hip hop artist to tour with, but I hope they stick with the same type of music they have always played. More guitar driven stuff too!

Considering how long it takes the band to put a record together and the need for full band approval of a song, a full album of hip hop seems unlikely. But it will be interesting to see if a song or two comes from this experiment.

I am a faithful fan and will always sit patiently waiting to see what the band comes out with. I don't have to like everything they do, but I will respectfully listen. :wink:

Carek1230 said:
I am a faithful fan and will always sit patiently waiting to see what the band comes out with. I don't have to like everything they do, but I will respectfully listen. :wink:

EXCELLENT comment, Carek! :applaud:

Whether you like Hip-Hop or not (personally, I really am mixed about it), U2 WILL experiment with their music and if they come up with a few songs inspired by that genre, I'm sure that it will grow on me in a positive way.

U2 experimenting with musical styles is what U2 is all about - taking music to that "other place".

And it appears from Bono's comments that if they don't experiment and attempt to make their musical repetoire grow, there may not be much of an incentive for them to continue making music together.

Remember, he has said that he doesn't want U2 to become a "golden oldies" group and, quite honestly, they don't need the money.

I hope that U2 continues to experiment with their music for many years to come! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom