2017 Joshua Tree Tour Stage Design

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The fact that the tree-stage is an odd asymmetrical shape, or the fact that it, & the catwalk are not centered with the main stage? From memory both ZooTV Outdoor & Popmart stages were asymmetrical, with b-stages that were pushed to one side of the field. Along with Vertigo Outdoor's 2 ellipses out to the sides, though the stage was symmetrical.

It will put the crowd right in front of Bono, unlike the i+e main stage. Also means they can push the RZ out to the side a bit, but still give them some catwalk action, ala 360. But as has been mentioned, the catwalk, & therefore the RZ, do look to be pushed over to the side more than expected. Some RZ'ers won't be happy :crack:

No, not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the main stage only. Maybe it's just the pics we've seen so far, but there seems to be more stage going on on the right hand side(when looking at stage).

Hopefully there will be an fenced off area opposite the red zone area on the other side of the stage for people who line up early.

Hopefully there will be an fenced off area opposite the red zone area on the other side of the stage for people who line up early.

Then the remainder of the floor would occupy the same sized area as red zone

i wouldn't completely rule out a barricade splitting the field in two set up somewhere near the sound booth, but as of now it doesn't appear that there will be.

there's massive amounts of field space, and a ton of rail space when you include the B stage. i'm going to guess that people will be able to come in close to the opening act starting and still be able to get within 10-15 feet of some part of the stage, if not closer in some parts.

i wouldn't completely rule out a barricade splitting the field in two set up somewhere near the sound booth, but as of now it doesn't appear that there will be.

there's massive amounts of field space, and a ton of rail space when you include the B stage. i'm going to guess that people will be able to come in close to the opening act starting and still be able to get within 10-15 feet of some part of the stage, if not closer in some parts.

There really should be a fenced off area similar to the red zone area in the nook formed by the b stage and the main stage. If not, this will be the first tour since Popmart that doesn't have a wall off section for people who line up early.

The last thing everyone needs is the people camping in the front row night after night being given special treatment.

I view the red zone for the wealthy. And those who can afford to avoid camping out in line. I would red zone every show if I could afford it.

I'm not wealthy. I get red zone. I also drive a german sports car and im
Not wealthy.

Its all a mindset people.

The last thing everyone needs is the people camping in the front row night after night being given special treatment.

Out of curiosity Gareth, if people who put in the time and effort to get the best spots don't, then how would your 'ideal' system work?

It has less to do with the lining up and more to do with the behavior and sense of entitlement of a selection of fans who are often "in charge" of the line.

tenor.gif

Out of curiosity Gareth, if people who put in the time and effort to get the best spots don't, then how would your 'ideal' system work?

It would be cool if the people who created a line list, and those on the last, actually you know... stayed in line. I dunno.

Wow - ignore this place for a little while and the thread explodes.

A couple of thoughts:

1. My guess is there are two full stage setups (two sets of black iron, ballast, base lights, sound and decking) one as we see in Houston and one being built in Vancouver that will travel down the west coast. This one we see in Houston will be set up as base and the 'expensive items' like the video screens, band equipment etc. will be set up in Vancouver (currently) and then brought to Houston after the west coast dates.

They call it 'leap-frogging' and the band has practiced this on almost every stadium tour. For 360 there were three sets of steel 'blue', 'red', and 'green.'

2. They have to expect that someone is going to post video and stills of the setups (even with NDAs) online so they never construct the entire set at once.

3. What we see to the left side of the Houston rig is a scrim (graphic printed on fabric) that will be there for the opening acts and then will be lowered to show a full-length high definition screen across the entire back of the stage. I do not know what the 'fold' is for (a friend of mine is actually responsible for the design but will not tell me anything - again, the NDA) I get the sense this will be a very simple setup as far as U2 go and they are going to incorporate a ton of video (in scale) similar to the Salesforce show in SF. Small stage, big screen.

4. So it looks like there will be a huge amount of GA space. I am truly hoping they do not subdivide it (I am nervous as my GA tix have codes "GA8" and "GA15" on them. They better not be sections or I am going to lose my shit.

5. It also looks like the B-stage in plan is the shape of THE Joshua Tree as it faces the stage. So the scrim has the graphic and the 'shadow' of the tree is the B-Stage. Seems odd and a bit corny to me... What I cannot figure out is why the stage is indeed so asymmetrical. My guess is (and actually seems like a smart idea) that they wanted the mass throng of bodies right in front of the stage but had to figure out a way to create the expensive Red Zone but wanted to keep it as minimal as possible. Being asymmetric gives them that possibility.

6. The V or fold is really throwing me but if you look at the latest Metallica or Beyonce stadium shows they have all lost a 'roof' so this might just be an artistic way to bring some dimension to the screen while being able to push Larry back a little bit in plan. The Salesforce Stage seemed a bit one-dimensional, this might just be a way to get more space.

I'm looking forward to seeing more images but am really scratching my head that the team has shown their cards a bit (I E logo was same design as stage and now the same seems to be true with JT.) Wonder if they are going to incorporate this into the narrative, or just keep it simple.

From what I see it looks like they are going with the 'keep it simple' route and will rely on a lot of video.

But, I am sure all our assumptions will be wrong and Willie will have some tricks up his sleeve.

4. So it looks like there will be a huge amount of GA space. I am truly hoping they do not subdivide it (I am nervous as my GA tix have codes "GA8" and "GA15" on them. They better not be sections or I am going to lose my shit.

I think that's the case every tour, right? Some venues have tickets that have sections on them, but they don't mean anything.

I think that's the case every tour, right? Some venues have tickets that have sections on them, but they don't mean anything.

Yep. It's just a way for them to keep track of what tickets are sold. It never means anything unless it's somehow made clear that the floor will be divided somehow (i.e., rows of seats and a GA pit, or something similar). Otherwise, it's pretty much first come, first serve.

Yup, 360 had this and other stadium shows I've been too. I think i+e tour had GA sections too. It's just an accounting method to track the tickets. The entire stadium floor will likely be open but even if there's a divided middle, etc. the first to arrive will be closest to the stage. There won't be pens based on your section or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom