Chicago #1 Setlist party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again in what way? I have today seen a few people who totally pulled the show apart on Twitter say how good it was in person "got their mojo back" is one quote I have seen, if people are bored with it just give up on the setlist party's? We all pretty much know what's coming

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You need to divorce the concepts. People being critical of setlists are not saying the performances are bad. What is bad is that 19 songs are played EVERY night. That is rubbish.

Having Invisible and Ordinary love fill up two slots, when nothing from Pop or Zooropa, and hell, dozens and dozens of other worthy songs sit on the shelf, is quite infuriating after a while. ugh

Having Invisible and Ordinary love fill up two slots, when nothing from Pop or Zooropa, and hell, dozens and dozens of other worthy songs sit on the shelf, is quite infuriating after a while. ugh

If you meant elevation rather than invisible, then yes.

While I agree with people saying the setlist on paper is kind of boring, after having seen it in person, it really is a fun show. I LOVE how bouncy Edge is during IWF! UTEOTW has to be one of, if not my absolute, favorite part of the show. Invisible was great as well. Seemed like the songs were moving by pretty fast, but the show didn't feel rushed. Also, was pretty nice to start around 8:20 and be out by 10:40ish, especially with work the next day :)

Maybe it was a boring set list on paper, but the show was great in person. If Bono was sick he didn't sound like it - I thought he sounded really strong throughout the night (give or take the odd rough note here or there).

Great show last night, my wife & I got a setlist from one of the techs! The crowd was really into it. Several times the band was taken aback by the crowd's good energy. Really thought we were going to get Bad. I made posters & one of them says 'We ❤️ Pop' - Larry saw it, pointed & smiled, Bono & Edge both saw it & smirked. I don't think I got Adam's attention. My wife & I have 3 more GA shows in Chicago. I am DETERMINED as hell they keep seeing my signs to get a Pop night or something!

I've been to many Chicago shows since Elevation tour and I think it was during the Vertigo tour I remember Bono saying 'Chicago gets Pop' and we famously got Discotheque in Sept 2005. I really think we will get something by the time the dust settles on this Chicago residency.

The more people continue to say this the better.

Agreed! You can't get stuck in the statistics. My wife was getting worried leading up to last night's show because she's a stats person. I am too but I'm on my 13th show, each one was exciting. Gotta get lost in the music. I jumped more last night than any of the past 12.

I said a few times to my wife the week leading up to the show to not study the setlist too much because it will put this negative thing in your head that doesn't have to be there. It's been 4 fucking years since I've seen this band, I'll take anything! Trust me the U2 fan in me wants some setlist variation over the next 4 shows and a few surprises. But I am lucky to even be alive or able to see these shows. I got a rare cancer diagnosis 2 years ago that I lucked out on big time. It changed everything for me, including getting a standard setlist night. So I jump and sing and the regular stuff feels good! Time won't take the boy out of this man. Bono wrote that shit

How many people have attended and then posted on here that they had a shit time? I'm sure there are a few but I've missed them.

This site boggles my mind.

Man, I like playing boggle, though. I just do.

On this tour? I've only seen a few.

I mean, I've seen a nearly perfect (for me) setlist and found the show slightly underwhelming, despite having a marvelous time, and that was Dallas 360.

Then you get a setlist like these that's boring on paper, but the show is among the best.

Boggle is a fantastic game. We should play sometime.

I think U2 fans ( I realized it when I went to the show) need to realize the I&E Tour is kind of like Zoo TV 2.0. It is a heavily themed show where the static setlist goes with the visuals, mood, & message the band is sending. The show really tells a story.

Its not the best setlist but the show is awesome. If that makes sense.

Eh, the visuals on this tour are only really tied to like 4 songs. If they improve the visuals, I'd be more understanding of a static show.

Just for fun, off the top of my head, these are the 'rare' songs played at Chicago shows since the Elevation tour, so I am optimistic for this Chicago residency

Elevation tour:
Sweetest Thing
11 O'clock Tick Tock
Discotheque
The famous ZOO TV show on 5/16/01, 5 of first 6 songs from AB

Vertigo Tour:
The First Time (alone & into Bad)
Wild Horses
Discotheque
Fast Cars
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car snippet in the Fly I believe in Sept 2005.
Gloria (May 12 2005)
the BEST version of Bad ever, about 10 minutes long with Sexual Healing & 40 snippets (May 12 2005)
Until the End of the World (hadn't been played at all on Vertigo tour until that show, again freaked out May 12 2005)
By the way, May 12 2005 was night 4, the final night of that stand. That's when the special stuff comes out it seems. So I've got high hopes for nights 4 & 5 next week.

360 Tour:
Your Blue Room
Stay
Out of Control (wasn't being played much on 360 at that point)
One Tree Hill (HOLY SHIT BALLS was my reaction when that was beginning)

So they've delivered in Chicago. Hoping they continue the love for our city

Gonna be in GA tonight so probably missing the #2 setlist party. We're 40,41, and 42 so we are planning on rocking out and not taking a ton of pictures.

Come say hey if you're in the area! I'm wearing the Mrs. Clayton hat!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

You need to divorce the concepts. People being critical of setlists are not saying the performances are bad. What is bad is that 19 songs are played EVERY night. That is rubbish.

Why is it? Wasn't it the same during ZooTv?

images

Just for fun, off the top of my head, these are the 'rare' songs played at Chicago shows since the Elevation tour, so I am optimistic for this Chicago residency

Elevation tour:
Sweetest Thing
11 O'clock Tick Tock
Discotheque
The famous ZOO TV show on 5/16/01, 5 of first 6 songs from AB

Vertigo Tour:
The First Time (alone & into Bad)
Wild Horses
Discotheque
Fast Cars
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car snippet in the Fly I believe in Sept 2005.
Gloria (May 12 2005)
the BEST version of Bad ever, about 10 minutes long with Sexual Healing & 40 snippets (May 12 2005)
Until the End of the World (hadn't been played at all on Vertigo tour until that show, again freaked out May 12 2005)
By the way, May 12 2005 was night 4, the final night of that stand. That's when the special stuff comes out it seems. So I've got high hopes for nights 4 & 5 next week.

360 Tour:
Your Blue Room
Stay
Out of Control (wasn't being played much on 360 at that point)
One Tree Hill (HOLY SHIT BALLS was my reaction when that was beginning)

So they've delivered in Chicago. Hoping they continue the love for our city

You will get Stuck, Desire and Angel of Harlem this time around.....:reject:

At least I'm glad that most of the people attending the shows are very HAPPY and positive.
I still can't help myself and say that the song selection is very poor.

You will get Stuck, Desire and Angel of Harlem this time around.....:reject:

At least I'm glad that most of the people attending the shows are very HAPPY and positive.

I still can't help myself and say that the song selection is very poor.

But someone would say the exact same thing no matter what setlist they do, but it seems to be that the most vocal like to think they have the entitlement to say their tastes are better etc etc

Why is it? Wasn't it the same during ZooTv?

And they now have six more albums of stuff. They can afford to mix things up a little bit.

Why do some (most?) people around here just instinctively oppose anything said about the band that is slightly negative? I love this band, and no one can question that, but I'm also not so sycophantically blind as to believe that their bad decisions are justifiable just because... U2

But someone would say the exact same thing no matter what setlist they do, but it seems to be that the most vocal like to think they have the entitlement to say their tastes are better etc etc

You are easily the most vocal trying to 'correct the balance', and you are doing it by seemingly totally missing the point. The point isn't that people want things to their taste, they want variety. Not a slot of two songs where they may play something different, but probably won't.

Back
Top Bottom