Pop Material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fax Machine

Babyface
I thought for sure between one of the two nights we'd hear something from Pop.

Bullet - Please - Streets is always a winning combo.
Gone or Mofo also would have fit.
But I kinda get the feeling that by not playing it on the first two nights, it's definitely not gonna be a staple of the tour, which honestly sucks. I don't want to see Gone thrown in for one night, like Discotheque was on Vertigo.

The lack of POP material is baffling, but isn't that much of a surprise is it? On the other hand, the tour has only just begun, but I don't expect them to re-discover the record.

Please/Gone/MOFO/Last Night On Earth/Do You Feel Loved? So many good songs....

I don't know what being only two shows into the tour has to do with anything, given the way songs are gradually added or removed from the setlist.

But this is hardly a surprise, given that in the past decade there have only been three performances of Pop songs - Discotheque at two Vertigo Tour shows on 17 and 20 September 2005, and Staring at the Sun at that Hollywood Bowl event on 15 October 2011. They only practiced one Pop song, Playboy Mansion, during the few weeks of rehearsals in Vancouver, and it only appeared at an early session.

I worry U2 have completely forgotten the awesome live potential of most of that album. You could have a really potent political section if Please was put between Cedarwood Road and Sunday Bloody Sunday, with Song For Someone moved to sit between Iris and Cedarwood Road, while the likes of Discotheque or Do You Feel Loved would be very cool early in the second set with the likes of EBTTRT, MW, and Desire.

Off-topic:

Axver; what do you think of Cedarwood Road live? I know you're a fan of the song (so am I) and I think they definitely delivered.:up:

They rediscovered Achtung in 360, but Pop's 10th birthday isn't until 2017. so hopefully someone does realize that it's time to resurrect it back from the dead.

They rediscovered Achtung in 360, but Pop's 10th birthday isn't until 2017. so hopefully someone does realize that it's time to resurrect it back from the dead.

U2 never really "un-discovered" Achtung Baby, though. Zoo Station, The Fly, MW, One, UTEOTW were played all played at several to all Vertigo Tour shows, WGRYWH had a handful of plays, and Love is Blindness even appeared once! Elevation Tour had The Fly, MW, One, UTEOTW in heavy rotation, and a handful of EBTTRT performances.

Strangely enough, one of the Vertigo shows I saw (Pittsburgh) only had 1 AB song, being "One". I didn't realize it until after the fact when I was looking over the setlist. That's pretty rare. Was still a good show, didn't really notice.

Off-topic:

Axver; what do you think of Cedarwood Road live? I know you're a fan of the song (so am I) and I think they definitely delivered.:up:

Yeah, I've enjoyed the live versions, and the visual presentation is impressive.

I know anything from Pop is a long shot but i really think Discotheque could make an appearance on this tour. The intro music with Beat on the Brat has elements of Disco and EBTTRT, and one of those has shown up. Plus it's like Gloria is to the October album; the only one they seem to either remember or want to play anymore.

I know I'm probably just grasping at straws, but who cares! I want some Boom Cha with the mirrorballs spinning. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom