Mexico City 1 Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What could be, if the band would show some balls

1. Even Better Than The Real Thing
2. Out Of Control
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Elevation
7. Until The End of the World
8. All I Want Is You
9. Bad
10. Mercy
11. Beautiful Day
12. Zooropa
13. City of Blinding Lights
14. Vertigo
15. Discotheque
16. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
17. New Year's Day
18. Gloria
19. Walk On
20. One
21. Where The Streets Have No Name
22. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
23. With Or Without You
24. Moment Of Surrender
25. "40"

:hmm:

Zooropa isn't enough balls for you?

to be fair, it says something when a setlist containing scarlet,hold me thrill me,zooropa, and a jacked up even better, plus remix versions of songs that have not exactly been around for years is considered "safe". lol. i mean its not like the NLOTH songs came out in 1985 and were played a billion times in thier normal versions, and they felt they had to change it up. They already have been changing them up and and thier debut tour isn;t even over yet.

Am wondering if they will use the first 2 shows as the "standard" setlist, and then swap it round to the new NA set on night 3?

Okay, I'm pissed over the Discotheque snippet at the end of crazy Tonight.

YouTube - U2 I'll Go Crazy Remix/Discothèque/Please, Mexico City 2011-05-11

It starts about 4:30....

and then around 5:16, Edge begins playing the main riff of Disco.

Why don't they just launch right into the WHOLE DAMN SONG!!!?!?!?!

It clearly can be done and can work PERFECTLY, doing the snippet like this is proof of that.

The Please snippet occurs about 5:47. It's pretty cool, but still, pisses me off that they are willing to pull out Zooropa, but won't do Disco or Please or even Gone or LNOE!!

This is getting pretty ridiculous that "Discotheque" won't be played after "Crazy Tonight". It is right there and the crowd is going ape sh++ already. This needs to change:

Vertigo
Crazy
SBS
Scarlet
Walk On
One
Streets

to

Vertigo
Crazy
Discotheque
Scarlet
One
Please
Streets

Stuck was played? :sad: I guess they played it safe last night. I like the new Magnificent remix, but what's with the new intro..more Tutu? Oh, and happy the Discotheque snippet is back - but with the Please snippet in CT as well, they should just crank those two songs out. Stop teasing! :wink: Excited that Zooropa is still in the mix, along with no sight of IALW.

Honestly, I don't mind the setlist other than I'll kill myself if they play Pride and Stuck in those slots in Denver (or any other show I go to). They better remember all of the shit they talked about last year about playing new stuff when they came back to NA. I think I'll start spamming Willie now just to avoid any doubts.

I'm ecstatic that they are still playing Zooropa, but for fuck's sake DO SOMETHING with the lights - at the moment what they've got going on in the 2nd half of the song (in near darkness with a few white flashing lights) is total shit and they are missing a real opportunity to do some totally trippy mind-blowing light effects with the song. Grrr frustrated :angry:

Honestly, I don't mind the setlist other than I'll kill myself if they play Pride and Stuck in those slots in Denver (or any other show I go to). They better remember all of the shit they talked about last year about playing new stuff when they came back to NA. I think I'll start spamming Willie now just to avoid any doubts.

Those are the same 2 songs I have a problem with too. I think Pride is the ultimate universal U2 live song. They play it for the countries they rarely tour. Based on Chicago I, I don't see it returning.

As for Stuck......:angry:

I kinda preferred when they "snippeted" a-nutha's music and not their own...

At this rate I guess for Glastonbury they won't be playing selections from UK #1s; The Fly and Discotheque or the top 10 hits; Staring At The Sun, Stay, Electrical Storm, Please and Last Night On Earth eh?

but... the #32, #40something and #13 singles from 2009 are okay...

I think ramblin rose means that once Edge starts the riff from Discotheque at the end of CT, you almost expect Larry to jump in and rev it back up. Instead Larry reaches over for a bottle of water, leaving Adam and Edge standing there forced to wind down the riff...wasted opportunity IMO

I think ramblin rose means that once Edge starts the riff from Discotheque at the end of CT, you almost expect Larry to jump in and rev it back up. Instead Larry reaches over for a bottle of water, leaving Adam and Edge standing there forced to wind down the riff...wasted opportunity IMO

Exactly.

:doh:

I just think of the "Year In POP Special" when Larry tells the camera, these last 3 albums are a reward for the fans sticking with us.........then a few years later says ATYCLB is his favorite U2 album...:huh:

The only thing positive about all this is POP is still on their mind. Adam stating Popmart and now a double snippet of POP w/ Discotheque/Please.

Hornbag said:

But if they hadnt rehearsed the full song then that was never going to happen,

Jamming/playing over the riff doesnt require extensive rehearsal, hell Larry could even use the same beat from the end of CT. Maybe it's just too much reading into it, but it seems Larry is almost allergic to anything Pop...

I think they are still figuring it out.

Edge should start the Disco riff a little earlier. Maybe when Bono starts singing "let go".

I really like the Discotheque and Please snippets. :shrug: Discotheque goes on for a while, with a beat behind it. Bono does a good deal of the melody and then Edge does the riff. What more can you ask? Well I know, you can ask that they play the whole song. =P But the band seems under the impression that Discotheque doesn't go over well with an audience. Better than nothing, right? And I thought Bono continuing the Pop theme by using Please to segue into SBS worked perfectly.

Jamming/playing over the riff doesnt require extensive rehearsal, hell Larry could even use the same beat from the end of CT. Maybe it's just too much reading into it, but it seems Larry is almost allergic to anything Pop...

But this is U2. They were never gonna do the full song without a rehearsal. Larry ended the song when he was supposed to and that's why he didn't start playing again, not because he's anti Pop.

And I'd have to imagine that majority rules when it comes to picking songs for the set. Do you think that ALL 4 members of U2 ALL want to play EVERY song in the set? No, I find that very doubtful. So even if Larry didn't wanna play a Pop song, I'm sure he would if the other 3 really did.

I want this super POP snippet after "Crazy":

You can reach but you can't grab it. Lets go, go go, Discotheque
a man and a woman stick together man and woman stick together, Do you feel loved, do you feel loved
Looking for to save my, save my soul, Mofo, mother sucking rock n roll
Now if God Will his Angels, and if God will send a sign,
Because I'm not the only one, Staring at the sun, I'm not the only one, who's happy to go blind
You got to give it away, were living like the last night on earth, the last night on earth,

Someone take over.

Well, I just saw the Crazy Tonight video. DAMN IT, they need to play Discotheque & Please. That's probably the biggest dosage of Pop snippetry we've seen on this tour in one show. They need to play it. I thought Edge was going to segue into Discotheque with the riff. That would have been cool, the crowd was going nuts already.

Well, I just saw the Crazy Tonight video. DAMN IT, they need to play Discotheque & Please. That's probably the biggest dosage of Pop snippetry we've seen on this tour in one show. They need to play it. I thought Edge was going to segue into Discotheque with the riff. That would have been cool, the crowd was going nuts already.

Exactly, that would be perfect!

Seriously, what should happen is this:

As CT is beginning to wind down, Bono starts singing the first verse of Discotheque. Then, when he gets to the "lovey-dovey stuff" part, Larry bangs the toms and Edge goes full out into the Discotheque riff. The Claw goes crazy, even crazier than it does during Even Better Than The Real Thing!

They finish the whole song and then it kind of winds down, with each leg of the claw turning Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue, like the colors on the POP album cover.

At this point, they go straight into Please, which segues into Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Or, do this:

COBL
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight (segues into)
Discotheque
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
One

Please (segues into)
Where The Streets Have No Name

I think it could work very well. And I think Please would work well either after Disco and before SBS or as a segue into Streets ala PopMart.

Exactly, that would be perfect!

Seriously, what should happen is this:

As CT is beginning to wind down, Bono starts singing the first verse of Discotheque. Then, when he gets to the "lovey-dovey stuff" part, Larry bangs the toms and Edge goes full out into the Discotheque riff. The Claw goes crazy, even crazier than it does during Even Better Than The Real Thing!

They finish the whole song and then it kind of winds down, with each leg of the claw turning Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue, like the colors on the POP album cover.

At this point, they go straight into Please, which segues into Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Or, do this:

COBL
Vertigo
Crazy Tonight (segues into)
Discotheque
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
One

Please (segues into)
Where The Streets Have No Name

I think it could work very well. And I think Please would work well either after Disco and before SBS or as a segue into Streets ala PopMart.

Be still my beating Popheart.

Back
Top Bottom