Trump General Discussion III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Republicans control both the House and the Senate. Do you really think they would impeach him and risk alienating his base?

when Trump can't deliver on his campaign promises... when no wall gets built, and (gasp!) manufacturing jobs don't return to the rust belt (because it's 2016/2017, duh)... Trump's base will turn on him.

he rallied them around a return to the good ol' days, and when he doesn't deliver, he'll just be another asshole.

once the base falters, the republican party will be so eager to get rid of him your head will spin. all of a sudden a lot of people who are quiet and/or kissing his ass since he won will be all "well i never thought he should be president, anyways." Pence will be elevated to the highest office, which is frightening in it's own right but at least he's not certifiably nuts like this guy. and then the big question will be what happens in 2020.

the reaction from carrier's union shows how quickly the same people who voted for him can and will turn on him if he doesn't deliver.

Pence is an even worse scenario because he actually understands the process of making some of these socially-regressive talking points happen.

There is no way he gets impeached by the Republicans until after the 2018 midterms. I just really don't see it happening, no matter how egregious his behavior. His voters are going to be willing to give him the 4 years as appalling as it seems, so the GOP isn't going to want to rock the boat in 2018. Now when the inevitable failure becomes obvious and the Republican Senate is on the line and the presidency is on the line and the majority of Republican governorships are on the line in 2020, the rats will abandon ship real quick. If there is an interest rate hike (quite likely given who will be at the Fed), then that sets up for an inevitable 2019 recession, which would even further set the stage for 2020.

It isn't as if there aren't plenty of Republicans plotting how to be the next nominee of the party. The question is when the knives will come out.

Republicans control both the House and the Senate. Do you really think they would impeach him and risk alienating his base?

I'm imagining a scenario where they really had no choice; him going After another country or someone in the press because his feelings were hurt.

Trump is obviously oblivious to the limitations of his power, and he's already drunk on that power, that in addition with his ultra thin skin is a pretty lethal concoction.

This in addition with what Irvine said, once he can't fulfill a single promise his minions will eventually wake up.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

There is no way he gets impeached by the Republicans until after the 2018 midterms. I just really don't see it happening, no matter how egregious his behavior. His voters are going to be willing to give him the 4 years as appalling as it seems, so the GOP isn't going to want to rock the boat in 2018. Now when the inevitable failure becomes obvious and the Republican Senate is on the line and the presidency is on the line and the majority of Republican governorships are on the line in 2020, the rats will abandon ship real quick. If there is an interest rate hike (quite likely given who will be at the Fed), then that sets up for an inevitable 2019 recession, which would even further set the stage for 2020.

It isn't as if there aren't plenty of Republicans plotting how to be the next nominee of the party. The question is when the knives will come out.
I think it depends on how quickly he becomes an unmitigated disaster, and how quickly he turns on the rust belt worker that put him over the top.

When union leaders are already bashing him and he hasn't even taken office yet, that shows you how quickly things could go sour.

We may disagree on how the rust belt worker can get back into our economy in a positive way, but there is no doubt that there are a lot of desperate people out there, and people who feel they've been ignored by the political powers that be.

That's the vacuum that allowed Trump's rise to power and ultimate election. They ignored the obvious reasons why this man should never be allowed in the White House even as a guest on a tour largely because he was the one who continuously spoke to them.

If he turns on them, doesn't follow through on his promises, and becomes just another politician... his supporters will turn on him in a heartbeat. Not the fairweather douches who only voted for him because he had an (R) in front of his name... the true Trump loyalists.

Carrier was a big campaign promise for him, and the person elected to represent the union who helped put him in office based on these promises has already called him a liar.

Things could go south for him quick.

The weirdest part if all of this to me is how much attention Indiana is randomly getting, now.

I think it depends on how quickly he becomes an unmitigated disaster, and how quickly he turns on the rust belt worker that put him over the top.

When union leaders are already bashing him and he hasn't even taken office yet, that shows you how quickly things could go sour.

We may disagree on how the rust belt worker can get back into our economy in a positive way, but there is no doubt that there are a lot of desperate people out there, and people who feel they've been ignored by the political powers that be.

That's the vacuum that allowed Trump's rise to power and ultimate election. They ignored the obvious reasons why this man should never be allowed in the White House even as a guest on a tour largely because he was the one who continuously spoke to them.

If he turns on them, doesn't follow through on his promises, and becomes just another politician... his supporters will turn on him in a heartbeat. Not the fairweather douches who only voted for him because he had an (R) in front of his name... the true Trump loyalists.

Carrier was a big campaign promise for him, and the person elected to represent the union who helped put him in office based on these promises has already called him a liar.

Things could go south for him quick.

Many will on him pretty quickly, without the screaming of 'Benghazi emails on their Facebook feed everyday they'll start to forget why they voted for him, others will continue to be apologist out of embarrassment, but Oregoropa has already written a history book to be published in 2050 Trump will be the best president we've ever seen, Ivana #2, and Obama dead last.

Many will on him pretty quickly, without the screaming of 'Benghazi emails on their Facebook feed everyday they'll start to forget why they voted for him, others will continue to be apologist out of embarrassment, but Oregoropa has already written a history book to be published in 2050 Trump will be the best president we've ever seen, Ivana #2, and Obama dead last.

I believe I've already addressed that...

Yeah and I think it will come down to a calculated gamble by the GOP. The midterm elections have even lower turnout than presidential years and typically parties in power have an even more suppressed turnout. A lot of Trump voters probably wouldn't bother voting in the midterms anyway, so if the Republicans can hang on to their congressional districts via gerrymandering alone which they likely can, the establishment may turn on him faster than we expect.

The other thing is if he is going to be challenged for the nomination in 2020 (presuming he actually lasts that long, he still strikes me as somebody totally uninterested in the minutiae of the job), that person will have to have his (sorry ladies) ducks in a row around 2018 already. Now the question is who will do it? Paul Ryan I think just takes marching orders from the Kochs so it depends on how they feel, Ted Cruz kind of shat the bed really with his non-endorsement, then endorsement, then eating crow so he's lost whatever sense of "principles" he had, there is the lunatic Gingrich who seems like the odd man out of the administration (well there's also Christie but let's get real he's done politically), and I don't really know who else? The other very real possibility which to me has the highest odds of happening is Trump stepping aside in 2020 because he won't think the can win, because he's too lazy to go on and the whole thing has become a bore and a chore. He can feed us all some BS about how he's come in and drained the swamp and now it's time to hand over the reigns to lego hair Pence.

Honestly, I can't believe DaveC is the only 'regular' who's completely left this dumpster fire of a thread.

holy fucking shit, no kidding.

i came back today to interference to make my football picks for the week, and decided to catch up here to see if it's gotten any better since i left. but yet somehow you yahoos have managed to make it at least a full order of magnitude worse, even with bmp being barely here at all.

thanks for not making me regret last week's decision even one little bit.

Last edited:
Yeah and I think it will come down to a calculated gamble by the GOP. The midterm elections have even lower turnout than presidential years and typically parties in power have an even more suppressed turnout. A lot of Trump voters probably wouldn't bother voting in the midterms anyway, so if the Republicans can hang on to their congressional districts via gerrymandering alone which they likely can, the establishment may turn on him faster than we expect.

The other thing is if he is going to be challenged for the nomination in 2020 (presuming he actually lasts that long, he still strikes me as somebody totally uninterested in the minutiae of the job), that person will have to have his (sorry ladies) ducks in a row around 2018 already. Now the question is who will do it? Paul Ryan I think just takes marching orders from the Kochs so it depends on how they feel, Ted Cruz kind of shat the bed really with his non-endorsement, then endorsement, then eating crow so he's lost whatever sense of "principles" he had, there is the lunatic Gingrich who seems like the odd man out of the administration (well there's also Christie but let's get real he's done politically), and I don't really know who else? The other very real possibility which to me has the highest odds of happening is Trump stepping aside in 2020 because he won't think the can win, because he's too lazy to go on and the whole thing has become a bore and a chore. He can feed us all some BS about how he's come in and drained the swamp and now it's time to hand over the reigns to lego hair Pence.

Ehhhh I think the only thing he really actually enjoys in this whole thing is that campaigning. I mean he's continuing his campaign after the campaign is over rather than, ya know, actually getting ready to be president.

Last edited:
holy fucking shit, no kidding.

i came back today to interference to make my football picks for the week, and decided to catch up here to see if it's gotten any better since i left. but yet somehow you yahoos have somehow managed to make it at least a full order of magnitude worse, even with bmp being barely here at all.

thanks for not making me regret last week's decision even one little bit.
come back :sad:

Will they though, as long as he keeps feeding them the rhetoric that middle white America is a priority and should be a primary part of national conversations? The most accurate thing I have read, though I can't remember where, about the whole Trump phenomenon is that his supporters took him seriously but not literally, and his opponents took him literally but not seriously. I don't think his campaign promises mean much of anything to his supporters, rather they just want to hear that they are more important than people of color, LGBTQ, etc.

in some ways, the election of Trump is perhaps the death, or at least logical endpoint, of FYM.

what point is (hopefully) rational, informed debate when rationality and information are now no better than opinion and wishful thinking? how often can you point out awfulness only to have someone shout "but TRUMP will keep me safe and make me rich" when you are in actuality neither?

How bad is it that Karl Rove is calling you out as a liar? :lol:

ROVE: Sure. Yeah, yeah, look, these airplanes have a life cycle and the planes that the president will fly, that President-elect Trump will fly in, are 29 years old and the threats that have emerged in the last nearly three decades have made the survivability of the next fleet of planes to be important. But here is the point: there is no $4 billion-dollar contract. Inside the White House every statement of the president is generally staffed out. That is to say it's reviewed by all of the appropriate officials inside the White House and checked for accuracy. If this were staffed out, the first thing that would have happened is people would say, "Mr. President, there is no $4 billion contract with Boeing to build these planes, we are not anywhere near signing a contract to build three aircraft."

But no, let's just let him keep the Twitter.

speaking of the end of reason, Sofia Vergara is being sued by 2 embryos, named Emma and Isabella. because embryos are people.

The year-long fight between Sofia Vergara and her ex-fiancé Nick Loeb concerning the fate of two frozen embryos seemed all but over this week. Now a surprise and bizarre lawsuit filed in Louisiana on behalf of the embryos themselves by a mysterious cast of characters has breathed new life into the dispute and is poised to challenge a never-before-tested decades-old statute that gives embryos in one of the county’s most pro-life states, rights as people.

While it may seem like a longshot, legal experts reached by The Daily Beast say the plaintiffs have got a small, but very real chance at some kind of success.

The petition, filed in Jefferson County Parish on Wednesday afternoon and reviewed by The Daily Beast, lists three plaintiffs: two embryos named Isabella and Emma, and James Charbonnet, a New Orleans resident with no clear ties to Vergara, Loeb, or the product of the pair’s IVF efforts other than as the trustee of a fund meant to provide for their health, education, maintenance, and support.

The Louisiana lawsuit falls on the heels of a Monday request by Loeb to drop his 2015 California case which seeks to bring to term the embryos he and the “Modern Family” actress created during happier times in 2013. According to the new petition, Loeb is giving up because the California judge ordered, and he refused, to submit the names of former girlfriends who allegedly had abortions over the course of the relationships as part of discovery. The judge in that case was already set to rule on a motion for dismissal of the case filed by Vergara.

There is no request for financial award, because, the petition states, “there is no adequate amount of money that could remedy the loss of life of Emma and Isabella, two unique human beings.” Instead representatives for the embryos—which remain frozen in California—are asking the court order their immediate transfer to a uterus so that they can develop and be born. This can be accomplished, the suit argues, if a court will declare the California fertility contract signed by Loeb and Vergara void, since it didn’t include a provision concerning the fate of the embryos should the couple break up. Further they’re asking the court to terminate Vergara’s parental rights and reclassify her as an egg donor. Citing child neglect laws, the complaint claims “By leaving Emma and Isabella in a tank in a medical clinic for more than three years and refusing to consent to their development or care, Vegara has effectively abandoned and chronically neglected and Emma and Isabella.”

Sofia Vergara Embryo Case Could Open Floodgates - The Daily Beast

i know this isn't Trump related, exactly, but given that the GOP cares about two things (lowering taxes on rich people, the leveraging of the rights of embryos over born and grown women), we can look forward to more of this in the future.

and realize what it could mean if the embryos win.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous and offensive lawsuit.

I don't know anything about Louisiana law, but how would this unconnected individual ever be granted standing in this case?

Ehhhh I think the only thing he really actually enjoys in this whole thing is that campaigning. I mean he's continuing his campaign after the campaign is over rather than, ya know, actually getting ready to be president.

Yeah, I'm curious, is this normal? And what's the point of them?

You bring up a familiar observation of recent presidents....the perpetual campaign.

Yeah, I'm curious, is this normal? And what's the point of them?

I wonder.

ww2-hitler-rally.jpg

speaking of the end of reason, Sofia Vergara is being sued by 2 embryos, named Emma and Isabella. because embryos are people.

i know this isn't Trump related, exactly, but given that the GOP cares about two things (lowering taxes on rich people, the leveraging of the rights of embryos over born and grown women), we can look forward to more of this in the future.

and realize what it could mean if the embryos win.
Imagine all the wrongful death lawsuits sperm could file...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom