The F$$d P$lice are C$ming - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #281
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Why would you call the thread title a lie?
Because it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post

A Happy Meal from McDonalds has always included a small toy.
The law in San Francisco bans that from a Happy Meal.
Quote:
The law, like an ordinance passed earlier this year in nearby Santa Clara County, would require that restaurant kids' meals meet certain nutritional standards before they could be sold with toys.
Once again you're not understanding your own source. If it meets the nutritional standards then it's sold with a toy.
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
the iron horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: in a glass of CheerWine
Posts: 3,266
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Because it is...





Once again you're not understanding your own source. If it meets the nutritional standards then it's sold with a toy.

And once again, you are not reading what the link is saying or what I am trying say. It's about a regulation. It's about taking away choice.

Do you really believe a city government should be allowed to dictate this type of control over a restaurant about something this trivial?

And by the way, have you tried getting whole milk with your Happy Meal lately?


__________________

the iron horse is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 10:29 PM
I don't know why you guys find Iron Horse's threads so offensive. Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.

Also, Iron Horse, whatever else may be said about his threads and points of view, has a point about the low fat milk thing he keeps on about. Semi-skimmed milk is fucking horrible, frankly. It tastes like water with chemicals injected in it and goes off a in few days. It even goes off before the use by date. Proper milk on the other hand is both delicious and nutritious and keeps for a good ten days or so. Full fat milk is still available in Ireland, fortunately.

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.

Next year, another health scare. Maybe the fruit and veg will be found to be bad for us after all. Given the amount of chemicals that are pumped into them these days, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #284
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
And once again, you are not reading what the link is saying or what I am trying say. It's about a regulation. It's about taking away choice.
NO, you're not reading or understanding. THERE IS NO BAN. If you're going to continue to use the word "ban" then you must learn what it means.

Is it about taking away choice or asking for more choices? Is it too much to ask for to put something of nutritional value in a child's meal? Fruit, veggies, etc... They can still eat fries and a fake burger, they have that choice, they just don't reward it with a toy.

Do you understand now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
Do you really believe a city government should be allowed to dictate this type of control over a restaurant over something this trivial?
I'm guessing you don't have kids, because I would never describe my child's nutrition as "trivial".


Quote:
Originally Posted by the iron horse View Post
And by the way, have you tried getting whole milk with your Happy Meal lately?
BVS is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.
The truth is that most of the people on this earth cannot properly digest milk. Lactose tolerance is a trait which belongs almost exclusively to Europeans and even then, northern Europeans. So it does not surprise me that you saw those adverts as a child. The idea that we now put 5 servings of milk products as mandatory in the food guide when most of humanity cannot actually tolerate it is a reflection of the power of the dairy lobby.

There have also been many studies that have taken a forensic look at food allergies and food intolerance and they consistently show that these arose at roughly the same time when humans started consuming cow's milk. There is very good science out there that can be used to support the notion that milk should not be pushed on the general populace the way that it is. But I am sure that you have never heard such things from iron horse whose main problem in life seems to be that schools don't necessarily think that it's always best for a nation of obese American children to be ingesting 3-4x more butterfat.

And I don't find this thread offensive; I find the title hopelessly misleading, which frankly is par for the course with iron horse.
anitram is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The truth is that most of the people on this earth cannot properly digest milk. Lactose tolerance is a trait which belongs almost exclusively to Europeans and even then, northern Europeans. So it does not surprise me that you saw those adverts as a child. The idea that we now put 5 servings of milk products as mandatory in the food guide when most of humanity cannot actually tolerate it is a reflection of the power of the dairy lobby.
Well, I didn't know that. That's quite interesting.
financeguy is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #287
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I don't know why you guys find Iron Horse's threads so offensive. Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.

Also, Iron Horse, whatever else may be said about his threads and points of view, has a point about the low fat milk thing he keeps on about. Semi-skimmed milk is fucking horrible, frankly. It tastes like water with chemicals injected in it and goes off a in few days. It even goes off before the use by date. Proper milk on the other hand is both delicious and nutritious and keeps for a good ten days or so. Full fat milk is still available in Ireland, fortunately.

When I was young there were adverts with the slogan "Healthy kids drink litres, not pints of milk" whereas now milk is apparently a very very bad thing indeed and leads to all kinds of terrible diseases so there's a bit of inconsistency in the building about the health freakery brigade, me thinks.

Next year, another health scare. Maybe the fruit and veg will be found to be bad for us after all. Given the amount of chemicals that are pumped into them these days, I wouldn't be remotely surprised.
I find no offense to his threads, but to how he presents his threads; it's a constant manipulation of the truth, and sometimes flat out lies.
BVS is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #288
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Take a few chill pills or something, seriously.
That's not a bad idea, BVS. If it keeps going nowhere (and no, that doesn't make it trolling), why bother.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #289
New Yorker
 
subnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In God's Cottage Country
Posts: 2,664
Local Time: 04:29 PM
don't the toys contain lead anyway?

stay clear from McD's
subnet is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #290
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Oh, don't get him started about lead...
BVS is offline  
Old 11-03-2010, 10:51 PM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Sushi Marché sounds a bit sketch from the name alone :lol
The chef there was trained by this guy, so I can assure you it's not sketch

Masaharu Morimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the best place in Toronto
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #292
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
The chef there was trained by this guy, so I can assure you it's not sketch

Masaharu Morimoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the best place in Toronto
Nice.

One thing I saw Morimoto do on Iron Chef that I like to copy is Roasted Pepper Nigiri. You roast red peppers (green is fun and bizarre, too), marinate them (soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, etc.), cut them to sushi size and then shape them into nice pieces of nigiri with the sushi rice--wasabi underneath optional.

They make great appetizers, especially for people who don't think they like sushi. The color of the marinated roasted pepper looks like beautiful red tuna meat.
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #293
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,724
Local Time: 03:29 PM
That is very interesting information regarding lactose tolerance, anitram, I didn't know that, either. I've never had a problem digesting milk or any other dairy products (I HATE the fat-free stuff, it tastes blech), but then again, I'm of complete European descent, so that would probably explain why. What exactly is the reason why one group can digest milk properly but others can't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Is it too much to ask for to put something of nutritional value in a child's meal?
I've always thought it was rather strange that we are relying on a fast-food restaurant to lead kids to healthy eating. When exactly has McDonald's ever advertised itself as a healthy choice for people? Their food is greasy, that alone should be a tip-off. If you don't want your kids to eat McDonald's food, just don't go there . Go buy healthy food wherever you're able to and then make it at home and serve it to your kids. Put it in their lunches they take to school. Whatever.

I can understand the attention paid to what food is being served to kids at school. You have to go to school. You don't have to go to McDonald's.

Angela
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #294
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I've always thought it was rather strange that we are relying on a fast-food restaurant to lead kids to healthy eating. When exactly has McDonald's ever advertised itself as a healthy choice for people? Their food is greasy, that alone should be a tip-off. If you don't want your kids to eat McDonald's food, just don't go there . Go buy healthy food wherever you're able to and then make it at home and serve it to your kids. Put it in their lunches they take to school. Whatever.
I agree, and no one said that we're "relying" on fast food to do this, but let's face it too many kids are relying on happy meals. There's a few reasons for this, different paced lifestyle, parents not being educated enough to know what they are feeding their kids, etc...

Should we allow cigarettes being marketed to kids? So why are we allowing this poison being marketed to kids as real food?
BVS is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #295
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,274
Local Time: 08:29 AM
poison probably takes it a little far...
cobl04 is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #296
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Did you see Supersize Me? Did it not poison him?
BVS is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #297
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 10:29 AM
it's not just kids who need to know this shit. after high school and entering university, every single one of my friends (and myself) gained a disgusting amount of weight becausr of the sudden extra availability of that shit.

one way or another, we've got ourselves together....but if a pack of smart teens (we were, stfu) can't keep ourselves in control, how are the kids going to cope?
coolian2 is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #298
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,274
Local Time: 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Did you see Supersize Me? Did it not poison him?
that was a fucking dumb movie. i didn't need to watch a 90 minute doco to know that you would become very ill if you ate nothing but maccas for breakfast, lunch and tea for a month. who eats it that often? i'd be willing to bet no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
it's not just kids who need to know this shit. after high school and entering university, every single one of my friends (and myself) gained a disgusting amount of weight becausr of the sudden extra availability of that shit.
not working for me!
cobl04 is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #299
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
that was a fucking dumb movie. i didn't need to watch a 90 minute doco to know that you would become very ill if you ate nothing but maccas for breakfast, lunch and tea for a month. who eats it that often? i'd be willing to bet no one.
The human body can survive a lot of poisons in small doses, but it's still poison.

If you saw the movie, he didn't even make it a month before he had big health issues. I know plenty of people who almost eat it that often.
BVS is offline  
Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #300
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
not working for me!
meet up for lunch? lol
__________________

coolian2 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×