Ladies and Gentlemen: This is our Attorney General?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
can't we all just get along???

Sorry Rodney, that would go against the history of this Forum!
wink.gif

I dont like Ashcroft. Basically, I disagree with him politically but don't care to debate the issue, we have The Melon/Bubba/Lemonite machine already rolling so that's good enough. I am sure if I did I'd be labeled something or another as usually happens around here.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Show me a fetus guilty of homicide, and I'll support abortion.

This isn't even important. My stance against the death penalty is strictly Biblical:

"Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. They said to him, 'Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?' They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, 'Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.' Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, 'Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?' She replied, 'No one, sir.' Then Jesus said, 'Neither do I condemn you. Go, (and) from now on do not sin any more.'" -- John 8:3-11

Prisoners guilty of murder definitely deserve to be separated from society, and we have a prison system that can do such a thing. Life imprisonment without parole is what many of these murders deserve.

But to sit up on a pulpit condemning abortion, while also supporting the death penalty, is hypocritical to me. Killing someone knowingly is wrong, also denying prisoners the right to repent. State-sponsored murder, just because it is socially acceptable, doesn't mean it is any more wrong than the murder that the criminal committed.

Separating them from society is one thing--such a thing I support. Killing prisoners because we, as humans, have deemed them unworthy of life is the exact same thing as abortion. I will not cast the first stone.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Back
Top Bottom