Worried here, not that impressed. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Worried here, not that impressed.

Had two or three listens now to the new songs they played at totp and I must say I'm a bit disapointed. I just hope its that the sound quality is crap but I have a feeling that ABOY is nothing special, it does not sound like the ground breaking music I was hoping for, but it seems its more of the same as you were from "All that you can't leave behind", also the chorus of ABOY where he repeats the title 3 times is a bit repetitive. And I know everyone has been raving about COBL but that is another that is a bit disapointing for me. I love Vertigo and think thats a great raw track but the other two have not got me that excited. I just hope that its cos they are crap recordings, and maybe that is why I can't get into COBL and think Edge's guitar doesn't sound as great as it should, also anyone noticed the first line of COBL, "The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse. Anyway just my thoughts from somebody who was expecting a bit more diverse music as like Achtung Baby and Pop, and I was REALLY looking forward to this album. Oh well the album versions may blow my socks off I suppose, here's hoping!

Old 10-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
Acrobat

we can only hope you won't be dissapointed

Old 10-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #3
The Fly

I don't like All Because of You...City of Blinding Lights is stunning
Old 10-19-2004, 07:11 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

dude, take it from a cynic: these tunes are nothing like ATYCLB.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Refugee

I hope your right, just that ABOY chorus sounds too nice, if you know what I mean.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:37 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 05:26 AM
"The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse.

I thought that also but LNOE is...
"the more you know, the less you believe"
Completely different meanings, and i dont think you should rush to judge, wait till you hear it the way it was meant!!
Old 10-19-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Well, I am a U2 fan who...

a) is not that big on ATYCLB. It's pretty dry. Musically they could have written it in their sleep, lyrically I think Bono probably did write it in his sleep. It is a great album, just one of U2's 2 or 3 weakest.

b) in the group of fans that hopes for more AB than JT.

And from the few clips I've heard....

a) The music blows ATYCLB away. There's more creativity and excitement in these few tracks then that whole album combined. Lyric wise, well I'm a fan of the "mysterious metaphor" Bono, and he seems to have done away with that for directness. There's not layer upon layer anymore and that saddens me, but again so far the lyrics are looking better than most of ATYCLB, and we haven't heard what are meant to be the 'heavier' tracks yet.

b) Not sure about AB/JT. I actually hate those kind of comparisons or wishings anyway, but I know that deep inside me I want another AB and so I have to give room for everyone on here making those past album/song comparisons and wishings. SO on COBL, I hear a song that could have been written around UF Era, but was recorded in the Achtung Era. I love the way The Edge's guitar sounds during the falsetto building part leading to the "All You Look..." I'm afraid it may be the wind giving it that sound, but it kind of sounds like it's twisting, like something angry is really trying to escape out of something beautiful.

I hope you aren't dissappointed by this album. I think what we've heard gives it fantastic potential, but I'm not one for "Best blah blah since blah blah" hype.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Re: Worried here, not that impressed.

Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox
Had two or three listens now to the new songs they played at totp and I must say I'm a bit disapointed. I just hope its that the sound quality is crap but I have a feeling that ABOY is nothing special, it does not sound like the ground breaking music I was hoping for, but it seems its more of the same as you were from "All that you can't leave behind", also the chorus of ABOY where he repeats the title 3 times is a bit repetitive. And I know everyone has been raving about COBL but that is another that is a bit disapointing for me. I love Vertigo and think thats a great raw track but the other two have not got me that excited. I just hope that its cos they are crap recordings, and maybe that is why I can't get into COBL and think Edge's guitar doesn't sound as great as it should, also anyone noticed the first line of COBL, "The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse. Anyway just my thoughts from somebody who was expecting a bit more diverse music as like Achtung Baby and Pop, and I was REALLY looking forward to this album. Oh well the album versions may blow my socks off I suppose, here's hoping!
i was just at my friends place and i brought over the bootlegs of the new songs and it sounded like crap because his speakers sucked, it couldn't handle the distorted sound that well and the bass didn't make it sound that good either.. it might be the reason
Old 10-19-2004, 08:11 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 11:26 AM
I think that all the people hoping for AB 2 are bound to be dissapointed to a certain extent. U2 is never going to do an album like that again, because they will never be in that place musically again. What I mean is that when they recorded AB, they were a band that had been incredibly successful in the 80s, but that had certain tag attached to their sound. AB is the product of a process or re-invention, as we all know.

Of course, AB is extraordinary first and foremost because of the sheer qualities of the songs, but also because recording an album like that, so new, innovative, and even risky, *precisely at that point in their career*, was just mind-blowing.

Today, U2 are a band that has been through almost every possible musical style, that has already gone against all odds, all rock and roll clichés. Can we really expect them to re-invent themselves YET AGAIN ? I don't know... And I'm not sure that's really what I would prefer.

What I'm hoping for is, of course, a certain level of musical exploration, but mostly passion and energy. Those two things, I think, have been lacking slightly in ATYCLB, Pop, and even Zooropa. Those albums have many other qualities, clearly ( I think Pop definately deserves the palm for innovation), but I feel something in those new songs I haven't quite felt for U2's work of the past 10 years (with a few notable exception like BD or Gone).

U2 have lost and gained fans with every album release, this one will be no different. Hopefully you will enjoy the album when you hear the real thing, but if some people don't like it in the end, that's just the way things go.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:15 PM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 07:26 AM

Quote:
Well--lets go worse case here. Even though I love ABOY and COBL--lets say you end up not liking them. In the album reviews--I don't remember either of them being mentioned as the top songs on the album. So I think you still have alot to look forward to and still have a very good chance of being blown away by this album.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:21 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by spencr00
I don't like All Because of You...City of Blinding Lights is stunning
I'm in the same place right now, although I will wait to hear a nice, clean version of ABOY before condemning it completely.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #12
War Child

I think both ABOY and COBL are crap. Suddenly, Vertigo sounds like a masterpiece after I listened to those other two songs. Hopefully, the studio versions are much better.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:49 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonExplorer
I think both ABOY and COBL are crap. Suddenly, Vertigo sounds like a masterpiece after I listened to those other two songs. Hopefully, the studio versions are much better.

The studio versions ARE going to be a lot better! Of course they are!

ABOY and COBL recordings are crap quality. What can you expect?

When heard the Vertigo beach clip, I was very worried. It didn't sound like a single let alone the lead single. But when I heard the song in full quality, I was shocked. We are all going to be shocked when we hear COBL and ABOY in full CD quality.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:45 PM   #14
War Child

This is the problem with leaks of these sorts. "Improperly" released material shouldn't be taken that seriously. Unless it's studio material of course, not live versions of underrehearsed songs.

Not only are these bootlegged, and albeit not recorded that well, and most of that is because of the actual crap sound system that was at TOTP. These are also live renditions of songs that have probably not been rehearsed that much. Think about it, there is always a 3/4 month gap from album release to start of tour, rehearsal probably hasn't developed that much, yet.

There are any number of reasons for not worrying. If anyone is going to get worked up about clips like these, here is a suggestion, don't dowload anymore. Listen to Vertigo. If someone doesn't like any of it, then I feel bad for you and your ridiculous expectations.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:54 PM   #15
War Child

I wasn´t there but most people said the songs a TOTPs were not live, just Bono´s vocals. But anyway, cd quality sound could make the songs 1000 times better, the bootleg we already have is of really poor quality, so it´s not fair tu judge the songs basing the judgement on this version. I already love COBL as it is, and can´t wait to hear the studio version in all of its glory.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:02 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:26 AM
sometimes things hit people different ways, love both songs and can't wait for the album versions. Hopefully you will like the songs when the album comes out, I love ABOY, its pure rock n roll, with that 60s sound and great guitar.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:44 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 08:26 PM

Quote:
Had two or three listens now to the new songs they played at totp and I must say I'm a bit disapointed. I just hope its that the sound quality is crap but I have a feeling that ABOY is nothing special, it does not sound like the ground breaking music I was hoping for...

also anyone noticed the first line of COBL, "The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse. Anyway just my thoughts from somebody who was expecting a bit more diverse music as like Achtung Baby and Pop, and I was REALLY looking forward to this album. Oh well the album versions may blow my socks off I suppose, here's hoping!
As I have said in a previous post, U2 have already discovered their own songwriting formula for success. And this formula is called "rehashing their old sounds." They started it with ATYCLB and the quintessential Edge riff in Beautiful Day. U2 have realized that if they just stick to sounding like the salad days U2 of Achtung and Johsua Tree era, while mixing some popular sound elements from older albums, then they will sell well.

U2 have already explored every possible avenue of "ground-breaking music" with Zooropa, Passengers and POP. And they probably realized there is no more light at the end of that tunnel so they are done making that kind of music. It's back to having Edge sound like Edge, and Bono to sing like Bono and Larry and Adam to just play hand-played music as opposed to synth bass (like Mofo) or drum loops.

So far, COBL has a bit LNOE lyrics, JT terrain, and an Achtung/ATYCLB modern feel to it. Vertigo has the pre-UF rocking U2 sound to it, mixed with Bono's ATYCLB singing style, and some Edge UF/JT singature chiming guitar elements. It seems quite clear what the intention it ...to rehash old song ideas and I kinda like it that way.

Let U2 be U2. I think they sound best when they just try to be U2 and not try to be ground-breaking. So if you're not impressed by the 80's and Achtung U2 sound, then Im sure you won't be impressed with this album. U2 are revisiting those sounds for their new album, or so it seems based on what we've heard so far and the song descriptions we've read.

Cheers,

J
Old 10-19-2004, 11:55 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Quality recording (i.e. original) will make all the difference hear. Right now the recordings we've got, save Vertigo, all are equivalent to standing outside a club when the band are playing inside with the doors closed. I think, for example, that Edge's solo in All Because of You will be electric when heard clearly with all the nuances and detail of the U2 sound. Also Bono's voice was getting really scratchy in the cold wet air of the car park whereas on the album version of City of Blinding Lights we will hear a soaring chorus with shocking clarity.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Miracle Drug and Love and Peace or Else clearly plus Yahweh. I expect that the album contains sounds that are new and quite diverse from one track to another.

Don't worry - it'll all be alright in 33 days!
Old 10-20-2004, 12:22 AM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 05:26 AM
Hey, you'll probably hate them when you hear the studio versions as well. They'll sound cleaner but they won't be new songs. You've heard the songs. If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em.
Personally, I think there fantastic songs.
But there are people on this board who don't like One and Still Haven't Found.

To each his own I suppose.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:17 AM   #20
War Child

I have a feeling I'll be going back to my Radiohead records by December. I find myself longing for a new Coldplay album.

Believe it or not, U2's best days ended with the last show of Popmart. I don't want to hear any more excuses about why they stopped being musically adventurous. Until Pop, U2 were the most hardworking band in the world. Now the best they can give us is a Who's Gonna Ride Temple Mix ripoff (COBL), a sad attempt at going retro (ABOY), and a song that possesses one of the most cringeworthy middle eights ever (Vertigo).

What is it with U2's recent obsession with the breakdown middle eight? Why doesn't the Edge solo over a steady rhythm like the Achtung record?

After several more listens, I have to stand by what I said earlier: the new songs are all crap. I have only a sliver of hope left for the rest of the record, since the one-quarter of the record we've heard so far really blows.