Why HTDAAB will one day be a "U2 classic"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ponkine said:

3- One v/s Sometimes: No words needed. I can´t vote for the new Celine Dion´s "My Heart Will Go On". I can´t support a man who uses his father´s death to make money. Shameful

:tsk:

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard in my life. Just about every song written is the writer's reaction to some form of the human contition: grief, joy, anger, frustration, love, depression, hate, on and on and on. Throw out all your cds, cause every artist is exploiting life to make $.

And with his latest post, ponkine outs himself as an out-and-out troll...

...I haven't read such blinkered drivel in a while..

Skipping a song or two doesn't necessarily determine whether an album is a classic or not. I often end my listen of JT after One Tree Hill, and that's still along with AB their greatest album. Whether it's a classic we'll only know ten years from now. (BTW I remember that AB was not on most critics' top picks of 1991/92, and still managed to become a classic.)

I don't skip any songs on HTTDAAB...it's a great album, but that doesn't mean that it's better than JT. No doubt HTTDAAB one of their best albums, and with the exception of War and R & H, it has the best ending of any of their albums (Yahweh).

Cheers

ponkine said:

3- One v/s Sometimes: No words needed. I can´t vote for the new Celine Dion´s "My Heart Will Go On". I can´t support a man who uses his father´s death to make money. Shameful

Idiot.

i dont think htdaab will be a classic(but then people think atyclb was a classic)

me the last time i put on htdaab(cd) was november. stoped listening to it in dec and still dont feel like listening to it!!!!!

but i still love r&h(dvd) and zootv live!!!!!
now u2 are just boooring.(plese dont hate me for saying this:| ...

Sleep Over Jack said:
And with his latest post, ponkine outs himself as an out-and-out troll...

...I haven't read such blinkered drivel in a while..

Stop: you´re asking fans to respect each other, and I´m doing that, so please respect me as a person !!!:tsk: The same thing goes to djerdap.

WE NEED MODERATORS HERE :tsk:

I agree. It will probably be a very good classic U2 album. Probably their 2nd or 3rd best. I'm worried a bit though that it might turn out like ATYCLB. I used to really like that album but now the only songs I like off of it are Beautufil Day and Walk On. Hope this one doesn't get boring after a few years.

They say we can't be angels
I say I knew that all along
I don't need social standing
I'm gonna stand where I belong

I don't live for music, no
I say I live for rock 'n' roll
We won't let them push us
We won't let them touch us
I'll tell you why

We're never gonna die
We're never gonna die
Tell them why

Wow, that is possibly the cruelest and coldest thing I ever read about U2/Bono.

I wonder what ponkine would have to say about I will follow, Tomorrow or Mofo (all written about the loss of his mother), or One tree hill (about Greg Caroll) or Achtung Baby for that matter (being largely inspired by Edge's divorce), or Stuck in a moment (written for Michael Hutchence) or Original of the species (about Edge's daughter).

Last edited:
ponkine said:

Stop: you´re asking fans to respect each other, and I´m doing that, so please respect me as a person !!!:tsk: The same thing goes to djerdap.

You may be respecting the fans, but you are definitley NOT respecting the band.

Like most here have already stated, it's just stupid to compare U2 albums to each other. You just cannot compare Achtung Baby to HTDAAB with a 13 year gap between them. They were at a totally different point mentally/musically/inspirationally when they made Achtung Baby, in fact TRYING to make it different from The Joshua Tree. So in the same sense you cannot compare The Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby.

Is HTDAAB going to turn out like ATYCLB? If it does, that's certainly not something to be frowned upon. I think ATYCLB is a critical albnum in their career, just like POP is and just like War is. But lets not turn this into another ATYCLB vs. POP discussion now. :wink: What I'm saying is, you can never compare one U2 album to another...it never prooves anything.

Originally posted by ponkine

This is probably one of the worst things I have read here. How can you say something like that? I almost cant blame people for calling you names for this statement. Yes we do need moderators here, to moderate YOU!

Sicy!:applaud:

I think a lot of people on here are using the "no-personal attack" excuse just to get away with shit like that. It's getting out of hand.

This is not a democracy God-dammit!:mad:

:wink:

If you dont show respect for the band you cant expect people to respect you. This is a U2 forum, a FAN site, not a U2 bash/disrespect site. I think some people are forgetting this.

Sicy said:

This is probably one of the worst things I have read here. How can you say something like that? I almost cant blame people for calling you names for this statement. Yes we do need moderators here, to moderate YOU!

:laugh: :laugh: :applaud:

ponkine said:

Why should I respect you when you label me and many others "sheep" "blind worshippers" etc

When I first heard AB I really liked it! And nothing has changed since then.
When I first heard HTDAAB i thought it was just fine, nothing more. Nothing has changed. (I liked MD the first time the same as I do now; I didn't like AMAAW the same as I don't now...)

Re: Re: Re: Why HTDAAB will one day be a "U2 classic"...

KUEFC09U2 said:

all i can say to that is come back after these songs are played live, and then tell us what you think, i am almost 99% certain that some people didnt think achtung baby would be the classic it is now, but then came ZooTv and well no more words needed

Dalton said:

Some of you might not be old enough to remember, but Actung Baby is what it is today because of the tour. It got good reviews at first, but it became legendary because of the live spectacle that went along with it.

Fair enough. Anyway, though live performance may add to an album, what makes it a classic is essentially the music in it. Otherwise none of The Beatles' albums which are undoubtedly considered classics (Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road) would have ever reached such a category as they were all released after The Beatles' decision of quitting live performance. In my opinion AB is a classic independently of Zoo TV.

ponkine said:

I'm sorry , everyone else. I know the trolls should be left to starve, but there's no way on God's green earth I can read something as despicable as THAT and keep my trap shut.

:mad: Porkine - I don't know if you are simply a troll, or if you are trying to make a serious point. If it's the latter, I seriously pity you. My three year old niece can (and frequently does) argue a point with logic, wit, and relevance - none of which were present in your pointless comparative analysis of completely different songs, based on nothing but the track numbers, on albums that are entirely different from one another. :der:

Do you honestly believe that Bono would try and make money out of his father's death? It couldn't possibly be that, as a songwriter, and a human being, the man is expressing a myriad of emotions at losing his dad to a horrendous disease, having lost his mother when he was young? Perhaps it helps him to cope with his grief? Have you considered any of that? Shame on you. I feel sick.

Well, what I'm about to say isn't based on logic - but I lost my dad a few years back in similar circumstances. I therefore find that Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is not the esaiest song to listen to. Personally I think it's beautiful, and it has helped me a hell of a lot.

As for the original point of HTDAAB becoming a U2 classic - I really don't agree that it's U2 trying to hark back to their "heyday". As many have said, they always try to move forward, and I think the album has some very strong tunes and lyrics. I hope that makes sense - I'm very upset at the moment so am not feeling very analytical.

Back
Top Bottom