U2's best TV Performances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2One

War Child
Don't know if a thread like this has been done before....So, since the band has been playing more tv, what are some of your favorite performances at talk shows, award shows, etc.....

My all time favorite has to be Please from the MTV awards (i just watched it and actually start this thread)

other honorable mentions have to go to Walk On from the Grammy's and Elevation from SNL (complete w/ instant karma)..

Their performance of Until The End of the World at their induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I loved it when Bono went into the audience and sang to people. Also when he squirted people with a bottle of champagne!

does Walk On for the 9/11 show count? that was excellent

the entire SNL show this season, which was Vertigo, SYCMIOYO, and I Will Follow+snippet of ABOY was prettyyyy cool too

I Will Follow on SNL last year

Bono humping the lady in the front row :lol:

shopgirl144 said:
Their performance of Until The End of the World at their induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

I loved it when Bono went into the audience and sang to people. Also when he squirted people with a bottle of champagne!

I remember seeing that and thinking "this is the worst version of this song I've ever heard."

I would vote for Mofo or Walk On. Please was alright but it was 4,000,000 better by the end of the tour.

exit from what i think was the old grey whistle test?

it was from jan or feb of 87 i think before the joshua tree even came out.

it was a really good performance.

i have an mpeg of it somewhere.

yea, forgot about The Wanderer. I just can't get over the Please performance. It was so badass, and especially to do a performance like that on the MTV awards, really kicked ass. Had a dark feel to it....Don't know what Ali's thinking about, thought it was a great performance...

BBC Awards performance of One was the last inspired performance of that song (other then Mary J.)

Awesome rendition.

Also UTEOTW from that show was sublime. That show is perhaps the tighest I have heard them play. They were a machine.

Walk On from Jay Leno was extraordinary.

I'm tired or I could keep going ;)

The Wanderer.
One broadcast live to Top Of The Pops (92) - perfect.
Superbowl halftime show is indeed, and unexpectedly, brilliant!
The WHOLE Jonathon Ross performance is superb - the band are SOOOO tight on that show!

That's just a few of my faves :)

U2mixer said:
One broadcast live to Top Of The Pops (92) - perfect.

Ditto - that's one of the best performances of One ever....
during some rehearsal time from the zoo tv tour they hadn't played the song too many times and it was still new and passionate

U2One said:
Do

My all time favorite has to be Please from the MTV awards (i just watched it and actually start this thread)

other honorable mentions have to go to Walk On from the Grammy's and Elevation from SNL (complete w/ instant karma)..

Have to agree with you on Please from MTV awards - 1997. Thought it was an awesome performance.

I loved "Please" in PopMart, but have to agree with Ali - that performance on MTV really was poor.

I think it suffered the same problem that "Sometimes You Can't Make It..." did at the 2005 Grammy Awards show: all these acts were doing these high-powered songs and U2 comes along and does something slow and, dare I say it, boring. In a U2 concert, U2 is effortlessly able to slow down and increase the tempo so that their songs flow. This is why they can perform such power-houses as "I Will Follow" and "Vertigo" along with "Miss Sarajevo" and "One". But when U2 do one song only, throwing in a slow song like that just saps the life out of the crowd. The song lost any impact it had and was poorly received.

My favorite TV appearances are "Streets" at the Super Bowl (it had grown men crying when the names appeared), "Walk On" at the Grammy Awards in 2002 (Bono's voice was in outstanding form, matching that of the gospel choir) and "Elevation" on SNL (his voice was hoarse, but it worked great for this song - especially with the emotion filled ending and walking into the crowd).

Their performance of Springhill Mining Disaster on Irish TV 1987 I would rate very highly.

I think if they perform at the Grammy's in February they should just play Bad for as long as possible until they are pulled off stage.
Because I mean, come on, who's gonna tell U2 to leave the stage?

Elevation on SNL in 2000, I believe it was. It may not be the best performance, but it might've been the coolest, with Bono hauling the floor cameras around, etc.

Back
Top Bottom