U2.com now has the new mix of Discotheque posted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, so far we've heard "SATS" and "Discotheque" and they both seemed to be robbed of their soul. Now, they're just shallow attempts at remixing classics. The band shouldn't have remixed these to begin with (or put the new mixes on the second disc) since the original versions were the hit singles that were bustin' out of everyone's radios and television sets in the Summer of '97. :yes:

gypsy, I am sympathetic to your plight, they all want to torment you, but I "get" the pure comic genius of your posts that everyone seems to be missing, you don't fool me, if we know what I mean :sexywink:

Zoomerang96 said:
its not what your saying its HOW you say it.

Bang.

Ow!

If I was a nail I'd have a really fuckin' sore head.

Last edited:
judging by the support im getting, im sensing im only saying what everyone is feeling.

but for you sicy... :sexywink:

Frankly its not bad, as some the post I have read, trying to make it sound like it is terrible. I personally find hard to see a problem with the original, but this like many U2 single mixes, is a derivation of the live version in studio settings. I dont know why we have to respond so profusely when we all know these things are very slow to make impact.

I have heard original one maybe 100+ times, but I havent heard the new one even ten times, so its very obvious which one has much deeper impression in my head. All I am asking for is more radical approach, like, unlike, hate, detest a U2 song but not without loosing perspective.

Last edited:
I'm still having trouble to understand this all
in all the POP debates (and we have had a few) almost no one has expressed much interest in Discotheque
in all the POP debates (and we have had a few) people say that "live" you could hear how good those songs really were

now U2 has the POP songs remixed so that they sound more like the live versions and now at least 50% of the posters over here seem to think that U2 has murdered the work of art known as Discotheque

I haven't even listened to this remix yet
but I'm pretty sure that it can't be as bad as this thread would have me believe

Salome said:
in all the POP debates (and we have had a few) almost no one has expressed much interest in Discotheque
in all the POP debates (and we have had a few) people say that "live" you could hear how good those songs really were
- discotheque is in my top five! :D

- i love the live version as well...

...but i think while this is similar to the live version, it lacks something that the live version has. it's not the crowd cheering or anything. it's the energy. imo, this version just sounds kinda flat to me. but i'm not complaining. new U2 (while just a reworking of an old song) is better than no U2!

Alright, here's my opinion...

I believe that 'Discotheque' has, and always will be, about the production of the song, itself. In essense, the production is the song, and therefore is what makes the song. If you strip 'Dischtheque' right down to its bare bones, you really have nothing but one good guitar riff. There really isn't much of a melody - (Have you ever tried humming the song? It's frighteningly difficult.) - and there isn't really much of a hook. To be perfectly blunt, it's one of the worst written songs U2 have ever put out, simply because so little actual song-writing went into it. (How can something be well written if there really isn't any writing, right?) But before you all flame me, that's not necessarily a bad thing. As I've already said, what makes the song is the production. Unfortunately, U2 have decided to strip that production away, and expose the song for all of us to see. Unfortunately, there really never was much there (underneath the layers), and now U2 have removed the curtain. I think I know why they did it, though. Right now, Edge and the band are into "primitive guitar riffs" and minimilistic aproaches, so they wanted to turn it into a simple rock tune, and retain some of the swagger that it was originally about. Unfortunately, Edge forgot the song didn't have a solid foundation. Oh well. I hope the next album does. Judging by 'Electrical Storm' I think it will. I just hope they don't go too simplistic.

The short answer:

The layers are what made the song in the first place, not the song-writing, and that's why I much prefer the original.

On a side note, a song like 'Stuck', for example, didn't need to be heavily produced, as the song-writing is very good. Just listen to the acoustic version for proof.

sounds like an incomplete b-side remix of the song , no more , no less , it lost any sense , and sounds like elevation album version .

nowhiner.gif

Michael Griffiths said:
Alright, here's my opinion...

I believe that 'Discotheque' has, and always will be, about the production of the song, itself. In essense, the production is the song, and therefore is what makes the song. If you strip 'Dischtheque' right down to its bare bones, you really have nothing but one good guitar riff. There really isn't much of a melody - (Have you ever tried humming the song? It's frighteningly difficult.) - and there isn't really much of a hook. To be perfectly blunt, it's one of the worst written songs U2 have ever put out, simply because so little actual song-writing went into it. (How can something be well written if there really isn't any writing, right?) But before you all flame me, that's not necessarily a bad thing. As I've already said, what makes the song is the production. Unfortunately, U2 have decided to strip that production away, and expose the song for all of us to see. Unfortunately, there really never was much there (underneath the layers), and now U2 have removed the curtain. I think I know why they did it, though. Right now, Edge and the band are into "primitive guitar riffs" and minimilistic aproaches, so they wanted to turn it into a simple rock tune, and retain some of the swagger that it was originally about. Unfortunately, Edge forgot the song didn't have a solid foundation. Oh well. I hope the next album does. Judging by 'Electrical Storm' I think it will. I just hope they don't go too simplistic.

The short answer:

The layers are what made the song in the first place, not the song-writing, and that's why I much prefer the original.

On a side note, a song like 'Stuck', for example, didn't need to be heavily produced, as the song-writing is very good. Just listen to the acoustic version for proof.

yep.:yes:

Salome said:
I'm still having trouble to understand this all

now U2 has the POP songs remixed so that they sound more like the live versions and now at least 50% of the posters over here seem to think that U2 has murdered the work of art known as Discotheque

I haven't even listened to this remix yet
but I'm pretty sure that it can't be as bad as this thread would have me believe

I never said I like the live versions better; in fact, I think disco live sucks.:yes:

I agree with Michael Griffiths, and also those who said the riff gets annoying. When it's right up front and not buried under myriad beautiful studio noise it is just too obvious and grates on you. It's actually pretty annoying.. and at the end, without the boom-chas it sounds a bit silly.

I still the mix taken by itself is a good song, just nowhere near the original.

We'll see if time changes my mind.

wow, someone saying that a song on POP isn't well written and not getting slammed for it
that must have been a very well written post Michael ;)

I highly doubt that Edge doesn't realize what sort of song the band had written, it's obvious they re-worked it because it was a flop in the US as a single and though they like the song, they needed a version that would be embraced by the people who made ATYCLB a success, and furthermore it would have been incredibly embarrassing for them to just leave "discotheque" off the Best Of the way they did with "lemon" (guess they felt they couldn't salvage it, or had enough respect for its brilliance not to massacre it?), so they did what they could to make the boom-cha more accessible to the mainstream fans who will be buying the Best Of, it sounds more like a song you would have heard on some "other" U2 album "see, you didnt like it the the first time, so we changed it up, trust us, you'll like it now" :sexywink:

The Wanderer said:
so they did what they could to make the boom-cha more accessible to the mainstream fans who will be buying the Best Of, it sounds more like a song you would have heard on some "other" U2 album "see, you didnt like it the the first time, so we changed it up, trust us, you'll like it now" :sexywink:

i agree. hard to believe eh?

but as skeek also said, that main riff needs to be hidden, or something i dunno, it just doesnt support itself alone.

they should have put B-side live version of Discotheque ( live from mexico city ) , it's fresh , rocking and it's close to original .

they should all go to a hypnotherapist to have the concept of "remixing" permanently expelled from their collective consceinces.:dance: :up: :D

Okay, I've heard all of the comments on the new version of the song, now...DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A COPY OF IT?!? I missed it on u2.com and want to hear it for myself (also can't find it on newmedia).

Help :huh:

check u2log.com for a link to the mp3.

after listening to a rather poor quality mp3...i'm kind of neutral. i like the original better, but this isn't necessarily bad. just different. It's nice to have a different mix officially released. i can always throw in pop for the swaggery goodness of the original.

Last edited:
The Wanderer said:
it's obvious they re-worked it because it was a flop in the US as a single and though they like the song, they needed a version that would be embraced by the people who made ATYCLB a success

What kind of statement is that? Now you're blaming ATYCLB fans for U2's decision to change the POP songs? That is just sad.

First they changed it because they were getting old, then because they had no balls, then because of record sales and now it's because ATYCLB fans demand it.

If you adore the album, good for you. But you need to accept that the band was not completely satisfied with the way the album was produced and stop blaming everyone and everything for their decision.

i think they reworked it for a little bit of both of the reasons the wanderer and seconds gave.

i think they did it because they weren't pleased with the initial results (like seconds said), but the finished product turned out the way it did because of the music they made from atyclb, and electrical storm (kinda like what the wanderer said).

that isn't supposed to be a slam. :)

The Wanderer said:
I highly doubt that Edge doesn't realize what sort of song the band had written, it's obvious they re-worked it because it was a flop in the US as a single and though they like the song, they needed a version that would be embraced by the people who made ATYCLB a success, and furthermore it would have been incredibly embarrassing for them to just leave "discotheque" off the Best Of the way they did with "lemon"...
Of course Edge realized what sort of song the band had written (I was being fairly sarcastic)! The point is, they over-looked the fact that 'Disco' doesn't really stand up on its own. I'm sure they knew, though. How could they not? (And I mean that seriously, not sarcastically.)

I don't agree with you that it was "obviously" re-worked because it was a flop in the US as a single. How is that obvious? Presumptious of you, yes, but obvious - no. Who is to say that U2 didn't re-work the song simply because Edge loves to remix songs? Maybe he felt there were imperfections (he is a perfectionist, after all), and with the new music that U2 are making, maybe he wanted to make it more "punk rock" and more "trashy". Maybe he is reeeaaally digging minimilistic aproaches right now, and finds the idea of "stripped down arrangements" utterly fascinating. You see, I just don't know, and neither does anyone else. So, to say that it is "obvious" is rather ridiculous, in my opinion.

I also disagree with you that it would have been incredibly embarrassing to have left 'Disco' off the Best Of. Why? For a few reasons:

* It's their Best Of, and they've been allowed to play with it in which ever way they want - ie, including 'The First Time, and not including songs such as 'The Fly' and 'Please'.

* If your theory is correct, then wouldn't that hold true for 'The Fly' as well? Shouldn't they feel embarrassed about not including the one song that introduced the "U2 of the 90s"?

* They are revisionists, as they just pointed out recently, and by definition that means throwing ego out of the equation and looking at the big picture. Nothing to get embarrassed over.

The one reason that I feel has the most merit (in backing my point) is the second reason. 'The Fly' was a shock to many fans, hardcore and casual alike, and that was U2's objective: to throw a song out there that would make people go, WTF? The whole attitude behind that move was the foundation for the movement that U2 underwent in the 90s - to fuck up the mainstream, while still filling stadiums. The audacity to not only believe they could pull it off - but to actually go ahead and do so, is really what the attitude of 'The Fly' set a buzz - and what catalyzed that era of the band's swagger. To not include that song on The Best Of is the closest thing U2 should feel embarrassed about, as one could interpret that as apologizing for the very swagger that they used to walk throughout the 90s - but even that is entirely their business: anything we say is purely speculation.

Michael Griffiths said:

'The Fly' was a shock to many fans, hardcore and casual alike, and that was U2's objective: to throw a song out there that would make people go, WTF?

The thing is, I don't think "The Fly" was nearly the shock to fans that "Discotheque" was. Most fans accepted "The Fly" and AB and it wasn't such a big deal. It was different, but it wasn't the out of this world shock that "Disco" and its video were. THAT was THE "WTF??" song!

I'd been a fan since War and I know a lot of U2 fans. No one really freaked out over AB, it was not the same as JT, but JT was not the same as UF, UF not the same as War, so what? It was cool, it was good. This was not a big thing. It took POP to freak the most fans out. That was 'too' differerent, the sound, the look, the image, the whole product. But this time, this 'different' was not a good change to a lot of people. That's how it looked to me. I hope you understand what I mean and I haven't beaten too far from the proverbial bush.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

The thing is, I don't think "The Fly" was nearly the shock to fans that "Discotheque" was. Most fans accepted "The Fly" and AB and it wasn't such a big deal, It was different, but it wasn't the out of this world shock that "Disco" and its video were. THAT was THE "WTF??" song!
Well, I don't know about that. I remember many, many DJs saying how weird that new song was (re: 'The Fly'), and the fact that it didn't even rock the charts (unlike 'Disco', which shot straight to #1 all over the world) says quite a lot. 'Discotheque' was also designed to be a catchy dance/rock song, unlike 'The Fly' which was supposed to be just plain weird and hardcore (but grows more and more infectious with repeated listenings).

To jog your memory of 'The Fly' and its public acceptance, check out this article. If nothing else, it's quite interesting...

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2607

Seconds said:

What kind of statement is that? Now you're blaming ATYCLB fans for U2's decision to change the POP songs? That is just sad.

First they changed it because they were getting old, then because they had no balls, then because of record sales and now it's because ATYCLB fans demand it.

If you adore the album, good for you. But you need to accept that the band was not completely satisfied with the way the album was produced and stop blaming everyone and everything for their decision.

Right, I don't think they did it to please anyone other than themselves. I think they realize that you can't please everybody! Nobody can! Too many different people like too many different things. Of course if you want the sales and fame you should please the most people, but I really think the only ones they were worrying about pleasing were themselves. It was their work, and they wanted to change what they didn't like about it the first time and put it out as something they could feel pride in themselves, no matter what anyone else thought. It's their art, and it comes from their souls so they know it and feel it better than any of us.I also think they know now after their long career what Rick Nelson wrote in one of his songs:

"It's all right now, I've learned my lesson well,
you see you can't please everyone
so you've got to please yourself!" :yes:

Michael Griffiths said:

Well, I don't know about that. I remember many, many DJs saying how weird that new song was (re: 'The Fly'), and the fact that it didn't even rock the charts (unlike 'Disco', which shot straight to #1 all over the world) says quite a lot. 'Discotheque' was also designed to be a catchy dance/rock song, unlike 'The Fly' which was supposed to be just plain weird and hardcore (but grows more and more infectious with repeated listenings).

To jog your memory of 'The Fly' and its public acceptance, check out this article. If nothing else, it's quite interesting...

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2607

I don't remember any DJ's saying anything about The Fly being weird (at least not any I ever heard) but I do remember Mysterious Ways, WGRYWH and One getting way more airplay on radio and MTV. Discotheque faded very fast, the only song I ever really heard from POP on the radio and MTV was SATS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom