This thread will get me flamed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Regarding to Bono's singing the high notes, it varies from night to night.I think he was very good with high notes @ Irving Plaza Show, same with Whats Going On from Notre Dame.But I've heard a few songs on which he's off par.But then he sounded aweful in one of the Gothenburg shows during the Joshua Tree era.

------------------
ALL THIS THAT

"I danced every night under a mirror ball with a young lady from the Zoo TV crowd. Every night during 'Love Is Blindness'. They were amazing. I love it so much. Some nights I fell in love. I never really spoke to these people, but that's okay." - Bono in 1995

------------------
Girl comes up to me says Hey Bono,
I want to play with your band, Sweet Jane...

* U2TakeMeHigher *

Originally posted by Arun V:
3.) I think bono shoud do what he's been doing and pull people up to play and not girls to dance ( I'm biased on that one).
[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 10-23-2001).]

Well that's his decision. I think both is nice-us girls dancing and you guys playing with the band-both are great lifetime memories.
And let's not get into that whole "what's he doing with girls half his age on stage" debate again. Whatever goes on, it's just a show-we all know he's married, so it's not like he would do anything serious.
From what i understand, most girls just get a hug or a slow dance, very few actually roll on the floor (big deal-a few minutes of rolling around means nothing troubling for anyone involved).
I have never heard of girls wanting more than that or touch Bono in places.

------------------
"That's why i still love playing live in a rock'n'roll band. There's just this feeling of this thing could just about do anything..." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:

Bono leaned over and says to me -'Diamondbreath'-"Big guy you think you can pick me up?"

Did he really call you "Diamondbreath"?
Maybe you should have gone easy on the garlic in the North End at lunch time!
HOO HAH!!
Early
H

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Originally posted by mbi16:

So guys don't molest him, but from your logic then you shouldn't have been up there. Cause you were just wasting time.

Did I say anything to the contrary?

Also I dont' see how this is sexist....now...women and men get fair treatment by way of guitar ability...I'm overthrowing a sexist practice

*laughs* my god people will argue anythign if you give them bait.

Did I say anything to the contrary?

Also I dont' see how this is sexist....now...women and men get fair treatment by way of guitar ability...I'm overthrowing a sexist practice

*laughs* my god people will argue anythign if you give them bait. Doctorowho..you said you never knew I existed until I posted my story. Well now I've made an impression.

Also as for bono rolling around, I dont' see anythign particulary wrong with it. But 1/) it's presumptuous of bono to do that 2.) Just because it's not "wrong" doesn't mean it's not in poor taste.

Originally posted by Deathbear's Fly Girl:
He started this thread purposely to piss people off.

He is a nice guy.

But you suck Arun.

Sicy you figured me out

I never said I "deserved" to be on stage. I didn't, it just happened. Also anyone who says that what i said is sexist is being idiotic, I said he could pull "people" up to sing or play. That is both male and female. It's not sexist, and anyoen who says it is..can't read.

*laughs* my god people will argue anythign if you give them bait. Doctorowho..you said you never knew I existed until I posted my story. Well now I've made an impression.

Also as for bono rolling around, I dont' see anythign particulary wrong with it. But 1/) it's presumptuous of bono to do that 2.) Just because it's not "wrong" doesn't mean it's not in poor taste.

This is my other proposition for GA line. The way it works now...the person who has nothing to do gets number one in line by camping out for 6 years. I propose we give people a standardized test in line, and have them line up by score, this way bigger fans an get their choice of place on the floor (the test will be u2 related of course)

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 10-24-2001).]

Even when the people brought on stage can't deliver(Arun), it's still entertaining. [/B]

I delivered ..in my own way. But I think it's unfair to say playign piano is harder than playing Guitar. But in anycase..it's hard as hell to focus on stage with 19,000 ppl and your idols on stage. and do anything that requires thought (including dance with bono).

And bono would have been well within his right to have chucked me off stage in hamilton. Like I said before he used to chuck guys off stage in the 80's for not beign able to play. In My case, Bono knew I could play ( I had the chords mostly right, just some problems here and there). But he knew it was nerves. But if he chucks a guy off stage for not beign able to play...it's a risk guys run for going on stage and tryng to play. I knew it could happen to me, but I gave it a shot. Luckily I kinda got teh song going for a bit and we were able to close it off by having me sing. I got the job done more or less.

This is my other proposition for GA line. The way it works now...the person who has nothing to do gets number one in line by camping out for 6 years. I propose we give people a standardized test in line, and have them line up by score, this way bigger fans an get their choice of place on the floor (the test will be u2 related of course)

LOL
biggrin.gif
That's a fun idea.

The only problem is that you'd still get the person with nothing to do as number 1 in line because that's the person who has nothing better do with his/her life (not just on the day of the concert) than to memorize every last tiny bit of U2 info and trivia.

Uh-oh, now I'm probably going to get flamed.
tongue.gif

Yes you got the job done young fella..quite handsomely I might add..
You also got a smooch from Shirely Manson backstage..

One word of Diamondadvice-do not piss off the 'sexies'

Sexies rock our world..

Late
Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
If curious click
links for
Boston 4 story
and photos..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

This thread got more posts than the thread about me getting pulled up lol!.

This thread got more posts than the thread about me getting pulled up lol!.
yes, but you posted 40 times in this thread yourself

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

nooooooo *cries* evil evil man!!! how can girlies not get pulled up anymore

oh and yes Larry still looks like he's 20 which is a good thing
biggrin.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
www.angelfire.com/tx2/KITIYU2

"I am a sexy mofo, what can I say?" --What Larry really says to himself when he looks into the mirror every morning

Originally posted by Salome:
yes, but you posted 40 times in this thread yourself

Well not quite 40 but quite a few..but even if you subtract my posts it's still more than that thread.

Oh God Arun, I do love your typos!
biggrin.gif

Examples:
"Teh" = the
"goo" = good
"Boo" = Bono
"ehave" = behave
"lay" = sex - er, play!

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

4.) bono's voice has degraded over the years

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 10-23-2001).]

Well DUH! The guys are 40 now, of course Bono hasn't the power in his voice he had back in UF or JT days. Rather, he has acquired new qualities. (see my "quote that gets me mad every time" thread for my opinion)

I don't know about you, but i give Bono more credit than that and i don't think for one second he'd try anything. (you said he's being "presumptuous" with rolling around with girls)
As for "molesting Bono"...
que?!? Where did you read that?

As for "it's tacky and overdone" to pull up girls-come on. I think that's a very nice way of giving some attention to the fans, and an unforgettable memory.

I don't see why the ability of playing guitar should be decisive for getting on stage. That's a ridicoulus argument. There should be (and is no) rule for who gets up. It just depends on the band's choice.

------------------
"That's why i still love playing live in a rock'n'roll band. There's just this feeling of this thing could just about do anything..." - Edge

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 10-24-2001).]

P.S. I can verify that Adam's willie IS still massively impressive!
wink.gif

And yeah...Larry's body FEELS 20, too!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:
Oh God Arun, I do love your typos!
biggrin.gif

Examples:
"Teh" = the
"goo" = good
"Boo" = Bono
"ehave" = behave
"lay" = play!

they are sexy in their own way.

You tied me boy, but i still came out on top! Nyah nyah!
tongue.gif

Hmm, i tied u2girl too. My post also beat hers. Whoo hoo, i'm a winner!
wink.gif

P.S. I dont want to mollest Bono.......I want HIM to mollest ME!!!
biggrin.gif

Guess i'm just old fashioned...

------------------

Hmm, i tied u2girl too. My post also beat hers. Whoo hoo, i'm a winner!
wink.gif

errrr....what?

------------------

Oh nothing,really. Just that we posted at the same time. But mine beat out yours and aruns. Usually i'm not that quick.
smile.gif

------------------

Oh nothing,really. Just that we posted at the same time. But mine beat out yours and aruns. Usually i'm not that quick.
smile.gif

I just saw what you mean-back there on page 2. Yes, you were first!

------------------

1.) I dont' miss wowy from the setlist

I do. It's a great song to play near the end of the concert - it's tender yet painful, contemplating yet romatic. Classic U2 all the way.

2.) I don't miss mysterious ways from the set list

I especially miss this song. I love the ending - it makes this song come alive.

3.) I think bono shoud do what he's been doing and pull people up to play and not girls to dance (I'm biased on that one).

You won't like my response Arun, but I don't want to see him pull up people to play either. I could care less if someone from Smallville, USA can play guitar and worships the Edge. I paid $$ to see U2 perform, not a fan. I'd much rather see a girl dance with Bono for a song than cringe as someone tries to play the guitar.

4.) bono's voice has degraded over the years

Yes, but for a man of 41 he can still hit those high notes. I fully believe that his voice, while not as great as it was in '88, is far better than it was in '97 (as evidenced by both the album and tour).

5.) edge's hairline has receded over the years

80% of men will lose some hair. That means that 80% of men most likely have suffered some hair loss over the years. Edge is one of many.

6.) adam's willie is probably not as impressive as it used to be

Since I never saw Adam's willie in "all of its glory" I cannot comment one way or the other. But for a rather ordinary looking guy, he sure is able to attract famous and gorgeous ladies (ladies wealthy enough that they could date anyone). So Adam must have something good going on, no?
wink.gif

7.) larry ..well he still looks like he' s 20

I disagree. While he looks great for a person who's a week shy of 40, he doesn't look 20 at all. If you look close, he has as many lines as the rest of U2 - and at times, he DOES look older than the rest of them. In other words, I feel he's starting to look close to his age (35-ish).

Doctor who

I'm not saying I hate wowy or mysterious ways I love both tunes, but i don't mind them being taken out here and there for setlist variety. And it's not like they will never return, they'll come back. I mean if you've ever heard the New years day bootleg they didn't play wowy that night and it was still a great show. I love the edge solo at the end it does make the song come alive. But like I said, I'd rather hear stuf they haven't played before or new arrangements of some older stuff. Wowy has not had the same punch it's had since popmart. I dunno why, but the JT and zoo tv performances of the song just seem to get me a little more. There have been a couple great performances of wowy on the elevation tour though. I do wish they would throw i 11 o clock tick tock on the third leg ( my guess is that we will see it in the markets with multiple dates). But I don't mind them sacrificing wowy and mw to give us a set list that is different on the third leg.

As much as i hate to admit it, I have to say Arun *might* be right about that much. The songs are much more effective when you dont hear them over and over again, every time out. I'll miss them a great deal, but as long as the band promises to return and play em in the future its ok.
Look at Stairway to Heaven! Jim Ladd wont even play it on his show anymore because its lost its power by being played every half an hour on rock radio. Once in awhile, he will play a live version of it though.
I disagree about Bono's voice, BTW. It still rules.
cool.gif

------------------

While I can *maybe* see why they'd pull WOWY, it's WAY too soon to pull Mysterious Ways. I REALLY hope they reinstate it for Vegas, because my Montreal follow-up sign/plan depends on it!!!!

Arun:

I'm teasing you about the "trying to play guitar" part.
biggrin.gif
You are having WAAAAY too much fun with your story/experience. Someone has to give you a little teasing.
wink.gif

That said, I'm still not all that partial to people being pulled up on stage. I know that with U2, Bono especially, it really helps create that important fan band connection. But sometimes I think it really slows down the pace of the show.

As for other songs, I agree with the last post which stated that it's too early to yank "Mysterious Ways" from the playlist. That song is very powerful live. Of course, having seen U2 many times, I don't truly mind hearing another song in place of "With or Without You" or "Mysterious Ways" or "The Fly." But I'd rather it be another U2 song and not a cover (like Marvin Gaye's song). That is, I don't mind cover songs, but I don't want U2 to toss out one of their powerful songs for that cover song. Also, if I were going to one of my first U2 concerts (say the first one this tour), I would be disappointed not to hear "With or Without You" or "Mysterious Ways" - especially if a cover song was played in place of one of them. So I stand by my original comment - I'd rather see WOWY and MW back in the playlist.

I miss WOWY - I think that just from the lighting aspect it was the most beautiful part of the entire show. The lighting is just gorgeous. And from a personal perspective it's a great slow dancing song
smile.gif
. I hope they play it in LA.

I miss Mysterious Ways, too. I think the Mysterious Ways/Fly combo was the most rocking part of the setlist on the first and second legs, it's a shame that they've gotten rid of it altogether.

Back
Top Bottom