The Popmart Era Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have more PopMart boots than any other tour. I don't know why. It fascinates me.

MOFO - DYFL - MIAMI - GONE - TPM and VELVET DRESS are my favorites on POP. MIAMI was extraordinary on POPmart i always will remember the wild palms on the big screen. after 7 years of bashing POP by myself the album has grown on me during the last few months. POP is not as bad as many think.

too young (well i dunno, i was in junior high) and definetly too protected to go to Popmart...but god i'll be damned if PopMart live from mexico isn't cool as fuck

I've been to a Popmart concert and it was unbelievable. I've just started watching Pop Santiago and the memories are flooding back............amazing stuff.

Axver said:
Miami --> Bullet was an incredible segue.

Yeh, that segway, sorry, segue was cool, tough and sexy - a bit like me.

I don't know why fans don't like Miami because you have just got to see Bono in action when he does this segue - sheer class!

I went to 4 PopMart shows and I remember arriving late for the first Wembley show and you could see the top of the golden arch pointing out into the summer night - if you were there then you'll know the atmosphere was f*cking electric!!!!!

I know it's been mentioned here, but the 'segue' of Please into Streets is also a classic and when you hear Bono pouring his heart out at the transition ALWAYS gives me goosebumps!!!

WHAT a tour!!!

i wish , they would use some of those visuals for current tour

POp muzik intro
awesome
Mofo - fantastiic
goes into Iwill follow , it rocks like hell , just look at bono after first verse ,
gone - incredible , not coming down ouuuhh
edge & bono jump with guitars

even better the real thing - nice jam feeling
last night on earth - great track , the end of the world
goes into until the end ......
new years day
Pride - liked the drums
still haven't found , ok , but not that good
all i want is you , same here
desire
staring at the sun - awesome
sbs
miami / bullet - AWESome
please - world prayer
Where The Streets have no name - best version , very long and beautiful
lemon music , quite good
disotheque , very good
if you wear that velvet dress - slow dancing , how it was supposed to be

:drool:

with or without , one of the best versions ,

hold me thrill kiss me kill me
pass the cigar , please --- rocks :drool:

mysterious ways - great ending part
adam clayton on a bass , now
larry Mullen jnr on drums
THe Edge

and ONe
big heart

:drool: :drool: :drool:

:up: :rockon:
-------------
...tell me, why out of 95 shows, people only like to point the one (read: 1) when the Lemon didn't work?:huh:

Saw that tour 3 times. In Seattle I had the lemon open up right in front of me, one of U2's most impressive moments. That thing alone probably cost more than the whole Vertigo stage!

the olive said:
Saw that tour 3 times. In Seattle I had the lemon open up right in front of me, one of U2's most impressive moments. That thing alone probably cost more than the whole Vertigo stage!

Yeah - bloody cheapskates!:wink:

My favorite U2 tour of all-time...when it was firing on all cylinders, of course...! For consistency and quality, Zoo TV was the peak, but if you're just looking at the high points...well, then I think that PopMart's high points were higher than U2 has or had ever climbed. It was my first U2 show, and just being a kid in Junior High, I spent every nickel to my name to get seats for the show....and my on-field seats were LESS money than my Vertigo tickets! Sigh... Either way, "Miami" fucking destroyed me, it was so good; "MOFO" was cool beyond cool, as well...in fact, pretty much the whole show was (minus a bit of sloppiness during a few songs, especially "New Year's Day" and "Until The End of the World").

POP is also second only to Achtung Baby on my list of favorite U2 albums (although it is tied with The Joshua Tree); amazing music, amazing lyrics, and an amazing sort of "Fuck you!" attitude throughout the whole thing. I still remember when I was one of 17 people in the continental United States who watched "A Year In POP" (I still have my VHS recording of the broadcast, in fact...I watch it semi-regularly), and I still remember Bono saying something like, "These last three albums are the real treat. These are our gifts to the fans for following us for all these years. This is the best music we've ever recorded." Again, I'm paraphrasing...but that's the gist of it, you know? I miss that attitude, more than anything else.

Remember when everybody in Kansas City wanted to kill the band after seeing the video for "Last Night on Earth"? I still remember that whole debacle quite well...reading about the latest complaints from the city in the entertainment sections of Chicago newspapers for a week or two. Great stuff. I miss you, PopMartians...!!!!

PopMart was the BEST U2 tour, I've ever seen !!
The Pop Muzik intro, and the songs Mofo and Please come to mind
as they awesomely ROCKED the stadiums .. But I'd have to say that the "classic" moment for me ... was seeing The Edge perform
"Sunday Bloody Sunday" by himself .... I thought his performance
was really heartfelt ... it made me wanna cry !!

fuck the media, fuck the critics, fuck the reviews, fuck all doubters/haters.........PoPmart/PoP was brilliant.....definitely U2's most underrated era

Pop Mart was an AMAZING spectacle! Saw them here in Atlanta near the end of the tour (which I understand now to be a good thing given the kinks they had at the beginning) the day before Thanksgiving 1997 and I was COMPLETELY blown away. I remember telling my brother afterwards that I felt like I was in a comic book. This show was exactly one week before the Mexico City gig so the Live from Mexico setlist is the same...except for one big difference: at the end of the Atlanta show they played "40." I recall not even recognizing it at first, but when I did I just started screaming "That's 40! They're playing 40!" Incredible moment. One big missed opportunity though: the next day, Thanksgiving, we had some company in town and we were thinking of things to do that day. As most places were closed, we mentioned an Irish pub in the Buckhead district, but ended up going somewhere else. Had we actually gone to the pub, we would have seen Bono, who we were later told was there by himself drinking whiskey. DAMN! We now go to that pub every Thanksgiving night.

The album likewise was a real stunner. I absolutely wore that thing out. Mofo is one of my alltime favorite U2 songs. The lyrics are brilliant, specifically the "looking for to fill that God-shaped hole" and "looking for the father of my two little girls" lines. Although the album and subsequent tour are considered the whipping boy of U2's career thus far, I whole-heartedly believe this to be one of their finest works.

At the time, people were expecting U2 to go back to their "earnest ways" so to speak. The fact that they went further and deeper into experimentation while still keeping that classic U2 sound and feel is a testament as to how great a band they are.

There is no better album to listen when you've been living under 5 feet of snow for 6 months and then warm weather/summer hits you - "Pop" gives me chills everytime I listen to it in my car with the sunroof open and the windows down. I let the first 5-6 songs play while it's still bright and hot out and then as the sun starts to set I let the album finish - it's incredible. Can make anyone living in PA feel like they are living in Miami.

i moved a few critics to the tour little time ago..............but i've watched the mexico video last night and my heart flew to the night when i saw the popmart in germany.................i realized i've lived a dream

Pop Mart was stunning, an amazing visual spectacle and a musical triumph. The whole thing was such a rush.

I saw it at Londons Wembley Stadium (alas no more :sad: ) and Leeds Roundhay Park. At Wembley i was in the stands right near the back but still loved every second. At Leeds I was about six rows back from the second stage! I've got a pic of the lads on that 2nd stage that is my pride and joy. And one of the revolving lemon!

All I have to say is... I´m proud that I attended to one of the truly best ever U2 concerts, Santiago 11-02-1998 :drool: :love: :heart: :up: :shocked: :bow: :rockon:
It was and it will be one of my top 10 experiences ever lived :heart: .

Also I really believe that POP is the last great piece of U2 work. 100% agree with U2One: fuck with the mainstream critics, mainstream fans, mainstream media, etc Pop was something unique, fantastic and amazing

Peace :wave:

PS: still waiting for U2 Pop Mart Santiago, Chile 1998 official DVD :sad:

Popmart was bloody awesome. Popmart Vancouver was the very first U2 concert i've been to and it fucking rocked even though Bono's voice was shit for that concert.

Back
Top Bottom