The 4th Single: City of Blinding Lights or Miracle Drug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Infinitum98 said:
I never understood this, but why does a song have to be a single to be played on the radio? Why can't they just have the whole album at radio stations, so they can play any song from it?

I've heard a lot of stories before on that it was a shame that Until the End of the World wasn't released as a single because it would have made a great radio song. But the other day I did hear it on the radio.

Actually, "Until The End Of The World" was a radio single......radio stations were given a promo single of it to play and it became a sizable radio hit........same for "Zooropa"

The radio station near me has off and on played City Of Blinding Lights. *shrugs*

I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to approach this album in a similar way to Pop - a greater number of single releases. It would make sense in many ways. For one thing, there is a lot of marketable material on here (Vertigo, ABOY, SYCMIOYO, OOTS, LAPOE, COBL, ever Fast Cars). Commercially, U2 seem understandably keen to reach out to a new audience, and I think that much of this album has the potential to do this. Also, if the outcome is that the tour is postponed further, I think we could definitely be looking at more single releases in order to keep the album 'fresh'.

Roland of Gilead said:
When all is said and done in a couple of years, Original of the Species will be the biggest hit single remembered off the Bomb. I'm taking that to Vegas.

I have no doubts about this either.

Original Of The Species would be a sinch for Record Of The Year in my mind at the 2006 Grammys

U2DMfan said:

I agree, for North America anyways, I don't know about Europe and the others.

I defintely think they will have 5 singles in N. America because of All Because of You already going to radio and video so early.

Miracle Drug would have to compete with COBL for that other slot.

I think Original Of the Species is a sure fire single, probably the last one from the album.

i JUST DON'T GET oots- MY BET IS FOR cobl AS THE 4TH (OR 3RD MAYBE) SINGLE.

mIKE

1 - Vertigo
2 - Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
3 - All Because Of You (not a real single yet, just radio)
4 - Miracle Drug
5 - City Of Blinding Lights (IF they release a 5th single... which I think is sad, because COBL is my favorite off HTDAAB)

Love and peace!!!!!!! it's better than Elevation!!! It must to be a single!!!

Last edited:
1. Vertigo /the rock
2. Sometimes /the ballad
3. All because of you /the rock
4. Original of the species /the pop
5. Miracle Drug /the anthem

I think U2 should cover as wide an audience as possible this time around.

City of blinding lights is left as the "fan favorite" non-single. (like Until the end of the world/Gone/Kite on previous albums)

"Yahweh" would be a great song for the radio and the times. I think the US culture is leaning back to the side of faith on the heels of 9-11, Anthrax scares, Iraq, natural disasters, etc. The song is very uplifting and skillfully avoids the term God with Yahweh.

My guess, to the question of the thread, is MD gets the nod. But "Yahweh" would generate more buzz...IMV.

Neither. COBL is too long for a single. I honestly don't think MD is singles' material.
Next single is either OOTS or CFYT. AMAAW would make a good single too, even if it isn't a favourite with fans.

ultraviolet7 said:
Neither. COBL is too long for a single. I honestly don't think MD is singles' material.
Next single is either OOTS or CFYT. AMAAW would make a good single too, even if it isn't a favourite with fans.

hmm. . . i actually disagree with your entire post except the last bit. AMAAW would make a good single.

the tourist said:
I really hope it's Love And Peace Or Else and a single version/radio edit. I'd love that.

I'm telling you, I've forced the album down dozens of peoples throats, some that even HATE U2, and hands down, 100% of the time, without fail, they all adore Love & Peace above all other tracks.

The problem is that as more & more people buy the album then less people will fork out for the singles. Some people aren't interested in b-sides so they wont pay for the same song twice.

Whatever they release as the 4th & 5th singles will not have the same impact on the singles chart & hence will not receive the same radio play that Vertigo got.

Personally I feel that it would be dissapointing to see OOTS just scrapping into the top ten one week only then to disappear the following week. I still remember how One never made it to the top spot for the same reason. All the fans had bought the album.

Maybe they should release a double a-side for the 4th & final single with OOTS album version & MD live version.

miracl drug is too good to be known only by some millions album buyers. it has to be shared with the world in a single.

Yahweh would of course be great as a single but it will never happen!!!

I think ths singles will be as followed:

1. Vertigo (Worldwide)
2. All because of you (US)
2. Sometimes (rest of the world)
3. Miracle drug (Worldwide)
4. Original of the species (Worldwide)

I just hope COBL won't be a single, it is so flat and boring. They should record it one more time with electric guitar this time, not with this ugly piano-like kind of sound..... It is much better live.

I'm sorry, we can argue this all day, as to what our favorite song is, or who we are rooting for, but Miracle Drug is hands down the most radio friendly song on the album, and it would be a huge mistake if they did not release it as a single. Every frined of mine who is a non-U2 fan site that song as their favorite. I think it will be the 4th single.

RABIDLAMB said:
The problem is that as more & more people buy the album then less people will fork out for the singles. Some people aren't interested in b-sides so they wont pay for the same song twice.

Whatever they release as the 4th & 5th singles will not have the same impact on the singles chart & hence will not receive the same radio play that Vertigo got.

Personally I feel that it would be dissapointing to see OOTS just scrapping into the top ten one week only then to disappear the following week. I still remember how One never made it to the top spot for the same reason. All the fans had bought the album.

Maybe they should release a double a-side for the 4th & final single with OOTS album version & MD live version.

On this subject, to everyone in Britain/Ireland - did Walk On even recieve any airplay when it was released? I'd never even heard the song before until I bought ATYCLB in late 2002.

they played miracle drug on cd:uk and rumour has it when they recorded sometimes on totp they did miracle drug for a later showing, plus a new version of miracle drug is on radio stations its more music and breaks between verses are cut short, which many believe that that version is the single version...

wow too many words to type in 13 seconds

US singles

Vertigo
All Because of You
Sometimes
Miracle Drug
City of Blinding Lights (Amazing song and an excellent closer for the HTDAAB era)

I still don't understand what is the point of releasing singles. On the radio, why can't they just play any song from the album instead of playing singles. And why can't songs directly from the album (not thru singles) be on the bilboard charts etc. I don't get what singles are for.

Flying FuManchu said:
I believe COBL should have been released instead of ABOY if they wanted to release something with energy and rock in it.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

I can see A Man and A Woman being a single.

Back
Top Bottom