***Survivor: When Love Left Town (Eighties Singles Rd 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote OFF the single you like the LEAST

• Out Of Control (single version)/Stories For Boys (single version)/Boy-Girl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another Day/Twilight (single version)

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • 11 O’clock Tick Tock/Touch

• A Day Without Me/Things To Make And Do

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • I Will Follow/Boy-Girl (live)/Out Of Control (live)

• Fire/J. Swallow/11 O’clock Tick Tock (live)/The Ocean (live)/The Cry --> The Electric Co. (live)

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Gloria/I Will Follow (live)

• A Celebration/Trash, Trampoline, And The Party Girl

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • New Year’s Day/Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop?)/I Threw A Brick (live)/A Day Without M

• Two Hearts Beat As One/Endless Deep/New Year’s Day (US Remix)/THBAO mixes

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday/Endless Deep/New Year’s Day (US Remix)/THBAO 7” Edit/THBAO (US remix)

• 40/Two Hearts Beat As One

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • Pride/Boomerang I/Boomerang II/4th Of July (long)/11 O’clock Tick Tock (long)/Touch

• The Unforgettable Fire/The Three Sunrises/Love Comes Tumbling/Bass Trap/Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Com

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • With Or Without You/Luminous Times/Walk To The Water

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For/Spanish Eyes/Deep In The Heart

• Where The Streets Have No Name/Silver And Gold/The Sweetest Thing (original version)/Race Against Ti

• In God’s Country/Bullet The Blue Sky/Running To Stand Still

• One Tree Hill/Bullet The Blue Sky/Running To Stand Still

• Desire/Hallelujah (Here She Comes)/Desire (Hollywood Remix)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Angel Of Harlem/A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel/Love Rescue Me (live)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • All I Want Is You (single edit and album version)/Unchained Melody/Everlasting Love

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axver

Vocal parasite
The loser in a close first round of Heat #1: Eighties Singles in Singles Survivor was

WHEN LOVE COMES TO TOWN

Full results
When Love Comes To Town - 19 votes
40 - 16
Fire - 9
Another Day - 8
A Day Without Me - 7
A Celebration - 5
Two Hearts Beat As One - 5
Angel Of Harlem - 4
Out Of Control - 4
In God's Countrt - 2
11 O'clock Tick Tock - 1
Desire - 1
Gloria - 1
One Tree Hill - 1
The Unforgettable Fire - 1
The remainder received zero votes.

Total = 84 votes

Heat #1: Eighties Singles - Round Two

is now open. Please vote by clicking in the circle next to the single you like the LEAST on the electronic poll above. Thank you.

Please be aware that you are voting on the WHOLE single release, not the individual a-side. In the same way that album survivor involved whole albums with their full complement of tracks competing against each other, singles survivor will involve whole singles with their full complement of tracks competing against each other.

This is a ONE day timed electronic poll.

Instructions:

Voting

Each round please vote off the single you like the least. The single with the most amount of votes is the the least popular for this round. Voting is anonymous. It's not compulsory to state your preference in the thread.

Next round all the singles are listed again, minus the single that receives the most amount of votes this round. And again please vote for your least favourite single from the selection.

And on we go for many rounds until there's only two singles left. In the last round you vote for your favourite out of the two. The last single standing is the most popular (or the least unpopular depending on how you look at it).

Tie Breaker

In the event of a tie, both or all tied singles will be instantly eliminated from the competition.

Have fun!

Last edited:
40, without any doubt. Bizarre b-side selection and they're both available on War. Useless single.

Oh, and on the topic of When Love Comes To Town being given the boot? :mad: Great song with great guitar and a FANTASTIC b-side. Besides the live performances of All Along The Watchtower on the Lovetown Tour, Dancing Barefoot is probably U2's best cover. Sensational single that should not have been kicked before 40.

Axver said:
40, without any doubt. Bizarre b-side selection and they're both available on War. Useless single.

I'd rather vote out "In God's Country", but I think everyone will be behind booting "40" this time around.....but "IGC" and "OTH" should definitely be next....

One Tree Hill.

Niether it nor In God's Country should even be on this poll because both are comprised of only album tracks from JT. They are both literally useless.

I'm kicking 40 rather than IGC and OTH because I think 40 is a worse single selection. The other two are next on my list, though.

By the way, how is the new format, listing the b-sides? It looks a little cluttered to me. Any suggestions on how to improve it?

Axver said:
By the way, how is the new format, listing the b-sides? It looks a little cluttered to me. Any suggestions on how to improve it?

It looks fine to me. All the info is there :up:

In God’s Country/Bullet The Blue Sky/Running To Stand Still (again)

A day without me.

Again.

Old, dated, boring, and complete with an entirely useless b-side.

I'm very surprised at the amount of votes The Unforgettable Fire is receiving. Not only is that a fantastic song that conjures up sweeping landscapes with sound, but it has some of U2's best b-sides. Indeed, half of them are on Wide Awake In America. I thought this forum was pretty positive towards The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling - or do we hate that EP now?

Also, I am glad to see that the new format is meeting with approval. Feel free to make further suggestions so that we can make any refinements to the competition before hitting the serious stages.

Just make sure to include multiple formats when we get to the 90's as you mentioned earlier........there's two readily available versions of "Stay" "EBTTRT" "Staring At The Sun".......I guess you could include a "Discotheque" with Holy Joe and a "Discotheque" with the remixes?......obviously, the remix ones will probably get booted first however.....but it's absolutely necessary to have two different versions of "Staring at the Sun" for example....

I like this much better. I know exactly what I'm voting for. Goodbye 40. I love you live, of course. But, alas, you must be off and take your place among all the other satellites.

Why am I doing this...

Do that many people hate Two Hearts Beat As One?

The trouble is, some of these singles that I loathe had b sides that I absolutely love and just couldn't do without.

I have to say the absolute worst single up there is Twilight. Nails on a chalkboard for me. Ugh... have to go dig out the Boy album to get that bad taste out of my head.

But I voted for Angel Of Harlem/A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel/Love Rescue Me (live) - and will keep voting for that until it's gone. Great live, I just never liked the studio version. And while I love Love Rescue Me on Rattle and Hum, live it seems to be lacking something.

bah

goat

BigMacPhisto said:
Just make sure to include multiple formats when we get to the 90's as you mentioned earlier........there's two readily available versions of "Stay" "EBTTRT" "Staring At The Sun".......I guess you could include a "Discotheque" with Holy Joe and a "Discotheque" with the remixes?......obviously, the remix ones will probably get booted first however.....but it's absolutely necessary to have two different versions of "Staring at the Sun" for example....

What I'm actually going to do is go by the single release as a collective whole, not the individual versions that comprise the full worldwide release. In other words, I will list EBTTRT as the following:

- EBTTRT/Salome/Where Did It All Go Wrong?/Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)/Numerous EBTTRT remixes

We're voting on the single release as a worldwide whole, not select versions. It would be too difficult if we divided them. After all, in the eighties one we're doing now, there were some editions of the WOWY single that just had Luminous Times on the other side, but I'm not going to list that different version.

However, if everyone's opposed to this idea, I'll get rid of it.

By the way, I'm glad to see the new format for the eighties singles has met with approval. :)

I'm open to any further suggestions for improvement.

Bloody hell! I thought it was a certainty that 40 would go first! What's so wrong with 'When Love Comes To Town'?

Without looking, im trying to remember what the b-sides were?:eyebrow:
Isnt the God Part II remix on there? I think that's quite good!

"GET BUSY"!!!:wink:

Yeah, it's a shame about "When Love Comes To Town".......I think we had a lot of people who thought they were just voting for the A-Side........"WLCTT" isn't the best single, but it has the fantastic "Dancing Barefoot".........certainly better than at least a half dozen of the ones in this poll.

BigMacPhisto said:
Yeah, it's a shame about "When Love Comes To Town".......I think we had a lot of people who thought they were just voting for the A-Side........"WLCTT" isn't the best single, but it has the fantastic "Dancing Barefoot".........certainly better than at least a half dozen of the ones in this poll.

I'm really annoyed at myself for this one. I was presuming that people would read my opening post where I clearly stated we were voting for the single as a whole, but I guess people just didn't read it, or if they did, they weren't aware of WLCTT's b-sides and didn't go to the link I offered.

Live and learn, I guess.

WLCTT's b-sides: Dancing Barefoot, God Part II (Hard Metal Dance Mix), WLCTT (Live From The Kingdom Mix).

Aardvark747 said:
Dancing Barefoot...:drool:

I see your :drool: and raise you :drool: :drool: :drool:

Besides All Along The Watchtower live on Lovetown, that is absolutely U2's best cover. Simply incredible.

I'm going to bed. Whilst I sleep, you people better not decide to vote out something other than 40! :mad:

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom