Songs nobody likes but you

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me the most obvious one is Some days are better than others. Alot of people talk of this as one of u2s worst songs, but i really like it.
Others which i like but are not that popular

I threw a brick.....
With a shout
Surrender
Van diemens land (love it)
Tryin to throw ur arms..... (i love this, cant believe that there are alot of people here who dont like it)
Elevation
Stuck in a moment....

prisz25 said:
I also really like Who is going to ride your wild horses...I know I know super cheesy but I actually like it.:reject:

I know some here bash it, but people actually don't like this song? It's f---in incredible.

"Under the trees, the river's laughing at you and me.
Hallelujah, you're heaven's white rose.
the doors you open, I just can't close."

I would give up all the money in my bank account to write lyrics like that. Amazing Song.

Anyway, "So Cruel" doesnt get much love, even from the AB lovers like myself. I think it's dark and depressing...and fucking brilliant!!! Another song with incredible lyrics.

Elevation . . . bono gets a little light headed levity, a little sly stone funky: love it

Elvis Presley & America: bono's definitely channeling something more than himself here in this gospel improv

Mothers of the Disappeared: terrifying and haunting. probably even less popular than the song are the issues it raises

love, anu

Re: Re: Re: Songs nobody likes but you

OnFire said:

What country are you from bsb? (UK, right?) I'm just dying to throw out "bag of spanners" in casual conversation around here. Just to be sure I've got the context right, here in the US would the translation be "dude! Those songs suck, except for Stuck"?
Your translation is spot on my american friend.You could use it in the context of 'shes got an arse/face like a bag of spanners(not very complimentary :ohmy: )Careful who you say it to:wink:

Last edited:
RademR said:

Anyway, "So Cruel" doesnt get much love, even from the AB lovers like myself. I think it's dark and depressing...and fucking brilliant!!! Another song with incredible lyrics.

I've said more than once that So Cruel is in my top 10 U2 songs. It's depressing as hell and so very very bitter. I love it!

- October - all of it. Those who slate it haven't even HEARD it [properly] ;) Especially 'Is that All?' I don't know what people have against it.
- Wild Honey.
- Boomerang I - NOBODY LIKES THIS! WHY NOT?!
- Treasure
- In a Little While
- Bullet the Blue Sky (Studio) The original and still the best.

Wild Honey
Summer Rain
Hands that Built America
Indian Summer Sky

Red Hill Mining Town
Ultraviolet (these 2 seem to always get a lot of anti-votes, but they're in my top 5!)

I've got a number of these, and while I agree with a lot of the songs that people have been mentioning, I'm not so sure that they're songs disliked by a lot of people....I mean, are "Red Hill Mining Town," "I Threw a Brick...," and "Bullet the Blue Sky" that "nobody likes"? Probably not... Anyway, here you go:

"Scarlet"--NOBODY ever mentions this song, but it's in my all-time U2 top 20. I think that it's absolutly perfect, and I also think that it was the first hint at the kinship the band would eventually find with Brian Eno; Passengers was born with this song. When Springsteen was describing Edge's guitar, THIS was the song that came to mind...how couldn't it?

"Elvis Presley and America"--It's already been mentioned, so I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in loving this song. I think it's just fantastic! I love the hazy musical backdrop, and while Bono's lyrics are indeed nonsensical, I love the fact that his performance is able to lend them meaning. The song means something despite its inherent lack of any meaning at all--just fantastic. Reminds me, a bit in that sense, of "Here Come the Warm Jets" from Eno's album of the same name.

ALL of Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1--I love the songs that most people seem to like, such as "Slug," "Miss Sarajevo," "Your Blue Room," and "Always Forever Now," but I also find great enjoyment in the rest of the album. "Theme from The Swan" is one of my favorite contemporary string pieces, and "United Colours" is fucking brilliant in every way. This album has meant a great deal to me over the years, and I'm sort of split on how I react to its frequent disavowal. I'd like to say that people don't like it simply because they aren't patient enough to get into it, but I could be wrong. Maybe it just isn't for everybody...or maybe it's just for me...or maybe (and this is quite possible) I just wanted to love it and it was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Either way, I do think the album is stuffed with treasures--one of my favorites, through and through.

There are numerous other tracks I could throw up here, but they've already been covered quite well by others. I hate a number of U2 songs and I feel like a "negative" fan a lot of the time, these days...but it's nice to see that I also love a great many songs that a lot of other fans aren't too fond of.

Last edited:
The Wanderer and Some Days are Better than Others. And October.

Oh, and if we count live songs, the live Bullet into Hands that Built America. I think that's just marvelous.

The Playboy Mansion - I cannot understand how so many people hate this beautiful, beautiful song. I love the perfection that is the vocal harmonies on this song and the whole feel of it. It's a song that makes me feel good. Bono is great here, both with the lyrics and the vocals. Great lyrics, great chorus, great melody, great slide work and great bassline = great song. What more can you ask for?

Elevation - Only recently I realized how many people hate this song. It's a great hard rocker, one of my favorite Edge riffs to play, one of my favorite Edge solos (fucking hardcore solo), great drumming (specially live) and I love the bridge.

The Refugee - It's a great rocker like all of the other songs on War. I love the Clash-like chorus with Edge and Bono singing it hard and out loud. I would love to hear this one live. Great guitar playing too.

If God Will Send His Angels - This song should have been a bigger hit I think. The whole Pop album is filled with amazing melodies and this song has one of Bono's best in my opinion. I love the bass, it gives the song a whole other dimension, the simple drumming with the drum machine make a good beat and the classic Edge playing sound pretty good. One of my favorite lyrics on Pop too.

In A Little While - A very original and interesting guitar riff in my opinion, very good songwriting from The Edge here I think. I love Bono's voice here, very soulful and honest. I like how the drums sound, especially in the beginning. If someone should cover this song this someone should be Al Green. That would be perfect! :up:

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - There's nothing like the sound of that dirty distorted guitar when it comes in. Beautiful melodies from Edge and Bono, I gotta admit I didn't liked the sha-la-las but now I'm fine with it, it gives the song more personality. Larry sounds great here too, specially live. This whole song sounds even better live and the snippets Bono would add at the end of Bad on the elevation Tour were just awesome.

Elvis Presley And America - I didn't know people didn't like this song. I quite like it. It's Bono coming up with it as he goes along and as abstract as this song is it evokes a lot of images from the what Bono is trying to say and from the melody and the music.

Trip Through Your Wires – One of the reasons why I love U2 is because once they're into a style of music, it doesn't matter if they have never played it before or if they haven't been listening to it all of their lives, once they’re into it they can come up with something in the same vein and I think that’s what they did here. For someone who learned to play harmonica by himself Bono sounds like a pro, he is a great on this song as is everyone else. I would love to hear this song, even of only in an acoustic form.

Last edited:
Nobody seems to like I Threw A Brick Through A Window and the Refugee except me... :|

I really like "Who's gonna ride your Wild Horses?", "Drowning Man", "If God will send his angels", "Zooropa", "Some days are better than others", "When I look at the World", "Walk on".

None of these would be considered "big" U2 songs by most people.

financeguy said:
I really like "Who's gonna ride your Wild Horses?", "Drowning Man", "If God will send his angels", "Zooropa", "Some days are better than others", "When I look at the World", "Walk on".

None of these would be considered "big" U2 songs by most people.

I always thought Who's Gonna Ride was popular... maybe not as much as Fly, EBTTRT or One but... same with Walk On.

Zootlesque said:

I always thought Who's Gonna Ride was popular... maybe not as much as Fly, EBTTRT or One but... same with Walk On.

Who's Gonna Ride is popular enough on here (judging by this thread anyway) but I know a few people (who are U2 fans) who don't like it.

I think Walk On is only averagely popular, someone posted recently that she didn't care for it and a few people posted saying they agreed.

financeguy said:

Who's Gonna Ride is popular enough on here (judging by this thread anyway) but I know a few people (who are U2 fans) who don't like it.

I think the first time Bono sings the words 'Don't turn around' on Who's Gonna Ride is my favorite crooning moment ever! It is his crowning glory achievement... or crooning glory. :wink:

I really love...
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Ocean
Indian Summer Sky
If God Will Send His Angels [Single Version]
When Love Comes to Town
Shadows and Tall Trees
:drool: :drool: :drool:
I don't wanna go it alone...

IrishDawg said:
Nobody seems to like I Threw A Brick Through A Window and the Refugee except me... :|

Actually, I absolutely LOVE the Refugee.

Seeing as everyone is coming clean. I admit I like:

Love Rescue Me
Trip Through Your Wires

IrishDawg said:

I love both of those songs.

I like both Trip Through Your Wires and I Threw a Brick, which several people have mentioned.

IrishDawg said:

:wave:. I like 'em. Matter of fact, "I Threw A Brick Through A Window" is one of my top 5 songs off of October.

I see "In A Little While" is mentioned in this thread...aw, I LOVE that song...that's one of the sweetest, prettiest little songs I've ever heard. Never fails to put a smile on my face when I hear it.

By the way, I, too, like "Hands That Built America"-every time it gets to the line about "it's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York skyline...", I get a lump in my throat. The music in that song is beautiful, and I like the sort of way they make a history out of the arrival of the Irish in America long ago up to right around the time the song was made.

Angela

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom