"So Cruel" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Many times underscored, this is, for me, the perfect 'pain ballad'... that completes U2's masterpiece, Achtung Baby.

Any other fans of 'So Cruel' in the forum?

....Between the horses of love and lust, we are trampled underfoot.....

Such a dark song for them. :( It's made even darker for me because I believe part of the inspiration for this was the breakdown of Edge & Aislinn's marriage, wasn't it? :shrug: I've always viewed the song as being from Bono's point of view. The lyrics feel like it was happening to him though, you know? Am I making sense? :crazy:

Anyway - great song, very dark, love it.... :huh:

Last edited:
I agree with that you say. Isn't it the perfect break-up song?

I remember playing it over and over after a hard break-up I had around 2001. :( And insulting her over and over while the song was on... :D

"The men who love you, you hate the most
They pass right through you like a ghost
They look for you but your spirit is in the air
Baby, you´re nowhere".

What else can you say? "So Cruel" is stunning and brilliant in ways that most songs released today can only dream of being. I think it's some of the band's best songwriting to date.

Can you imagine hearing this song in concert now? I think I would have chills for hours, if not days just thinking about it. When was the last time they played it live?

MCF74 said:
What else can you say? "So Cruel" is stunning and brilliant in ways that most songs released today can only dream of being. I think it's some of the band's best songwriting to date.

It's all that and more. Quite possibly the most underrated U2 song ever.

So Cruel is in my top 10 songs of all time. I love it. It's incredibly dark and bitter, and perfect to listen to after you've just broken up with someone. The lyrics are simply amazing. :up:

One of my favourites, too! It just seems to build and build in intensity, and the "between the horses of love and lust we are trampled underfoot" line has to be one of the greatest lyrics ever written, IMHO. :drool:

It's a good song, has probably the best lines that B-Man ever made!! But the melody is a bit boring, although it fits well on the mood of the song.

I'm always floored at how even most hardcore fans don't rate it (I saw it getting voted off 2nd or first in album survivor polls for Achtung Baby)..its absolutely brilliant, and sums up the mood of that whole album.

That is because most of those ppl that voted are prob very young and cannot relate
:shrug:

Sleep Over Jack said:
I'm always floored at how even most hardcore fans don't rate it (I saw it getting voted off 2nd or first in album survivor polls for Achtung Baby)..its absolutely brilliant, and sums up the mood of that whole album.

Some people have considered this song filler. I never could relate to this because it's actually my favorite (lyrically) after Wild Horses which is just before it of course..
then again AB is a phenomenal piece of work on so many levels, lyrically, emotionally and mentally. it hit's the:heart:

sue4u2 said:

Some people have considered this song filler. I never could relate to this because it's actually my favorite (lyrically) after Wild Horses which is just before it of course..
then again AB is a phenomenal piece of work on so many levels, lyrically, emotionally and mentally. it hit's the:heart:

People that consider "So Cruel" a filler...

)(&(*#(&(*&%#(*&#% :mad: :censored: )(*&(*&$#((&(@#( :madspit:

filler?! :mad:
no waaay.

for me, this song is brilliant. I can easily say that it's one of my favorite songs by U2. AB without this song would be so different. this song captures so much emotion.. that when i hear it i get all sad :sad:

but yeah I love this song :heart:

Anyone who says that "So Cruel" is filler hasn't really listened to the song and it's lyrics. Filler? Oh man. I honestly would say that it puts most of today's rock songs to complete and utter shame. Listen, this isn't even my favorite U2 song, or even in my U2 top 10. But it is undeniably brilliant and has been criminally overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom